JKU Got Hit! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 04-20-2017, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 32
Posts: 56
Feedback: 0 reviews
JKU Got Hit!

Long story short, some dipshit made a U-turn in front of me on Sunday and I smacked him pretty good with my driver side front tire. The impact caused my lower control arm bracket on the axle to pretty much shear off, and in the process bent the driveshaft and smacked the yoke into the oil pan punching a hole in the process. I had it towed to a jeep dealership (not on the insurance company's approved list) and they did their own assessment which came out to about $7k in damage. I am not sure if that is just for parts, or parts and labor, but regardless that is a decent amount of money. They want to replace the entire front housing, driveshafts, ball joints, oi pan, and a few other things. I am thinking that if I can get a few of these parts upgraded at a cheaper price while they are being paid for I am going to try and do it. My question is, has anyone had experience with this type of thing and what can I expect? Thanks ahead of time!
PED'sReady0219 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 Old 04-20-2017, 01:59 PM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 34
Posts: 28
Feedback: 0 reviews

Yes, have experience with a similar situation.

We ended up getting the insurance check cut directly to us instead of having it fixed at a shop. Ended up getting a pair of rubicon axles for far less than a new mopar front axle would have been. It can be done. The stick to all this, is whether or not you have a lien and if your lienholder and insurance company will play ball with you.
dook is offline  
post #3 of 22 Old 04-20-2017, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 32
Posts: 56
Feedback: 0 reviews

Yeah the jeep is not paid off, but how is that relavent? Sorry I am new to this so I am not quite following. The insurance company I understand and I know I'm in for a fight with them, but the lender I don't understand.
PED'sReady0219 is offline  
 
post #4 of 22 Old 04-20-2017, 02:38 PM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 34
Posts: 28
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by PED'sReady0219 View Post
Yeah the jeep is not paid off, but how is that relavent? Sorry I am new to this so I am not quite following. The insurance company I understand and I know I'm in for a fight with them, but the lender I don't understand.
because sometimes lendors require that vehicle be fixed by a certified shop because technically, they own it. In the event its a total loss, which it doesn't sound like, the insurance check would go directly to the lendor, either in full and the lender would cut you back the difference, or often times when gap insurance isn't purchased, you'd be stuck with a remaining balance on a totaled vehicle you no longer have access to. All very general scenarios here, and chances are if its not totaled your insurance company is the only party you'll be dealing with, but stranger things have happened.
dook is offline  
post #5 of 22 Old 04-20-2017, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 32
Posts: 56
Feedback: 0 reviews

Ok I gotcha. That makes sense. Yeah it isn't totalled and I have only dealt with the insurance company so far. I am going to assume that is all I will deal with (It is at a jeep dealership though), although I am sure I am in for a fight. I am hoping I can negotiate something with the dealership where I can put something other than mopar parts into it. $4080 for their 44 is outrageous and I know I can get a badass axle for 75% of that. I guess I'll have to wait and see.
PED'sReady0219 is offline  
post #6 of 22 Old 04-20-2017, 04:12 PM
Granite Guru
 
JeepGirl83's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 296
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by PED'sReady0219 View Post
Ok I gotcha. That makes sense. Yeah it isn't totalled and I have only dealt with the insurance company so far. I am going to assume that is all I will deal with (It is at a jeep dealership though), although I am sure I am in for a fight. I am hoping I can negotiate something with the dealership where I can put something other than mopar parts into it. $4080 for their 44 is outrageous and I know I can get a badass axle for 75% of that. I guess I'll have to wait and see.
Going through this right now. I got rear ended by a Hyundai Tiburon going 40-50+. Not my fault, so I'm going through his insurance. So far we're at $12,000 in damage, including my rear axle. Despite the fact act that my shop charges $110 per hour for everything and the insurance is only covering that for mechanical (which is very little of the overall labor), I was able to upgrade the front bumper, have a take off rear bumper put on (didn't find a rear I liked at the time), pro comp wheels, 35" tires, 2.5" lift kit, new spare tire carrier (TF HD hinged adjustable), and Magnaflow exhaust. I'm only out about $1,600 and I'm filing a diminished value claim that I'm hoping covers all that. If I get more, I'll get my new rear bumper or put it toward re-gearing. It is a lot of back and forth with the insurance, but my lender hasn't been involved at all, and I'm going through a Jeep customs shop. Not Jeep.
JeepGirl83 is offline  
post #7 of 22 Old 04-20-2017, 04:13 PM
Granite Guru
 
JeepGirl83's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 296
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Oh, and they are covering $52 per hour for everything else.

And it ended up being a four car pileup by the time it was all said and done. Mine was the first one bit by the dumbass Tiburon.
JeepGirl83 is offline  
post #8 of 22 Old 04-20-2017, 04:15 PM
Granite Guru
 
JeepGirl83's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 296
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Feel free to post away or PM if you have questions. I'll happily share my experience. My Jeep has been in the shop for one month already. I've had a Hyundai Santa Fe for the entire duration of the time so far.
JeepGirl83 is offline  
post #9 of 22 Old 04-21-2017, 05:28 AM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 34
Posts: 28
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl83 View Post
Feel free to post away or PM if you have questions. I'll happily share my experience. My Jeep has been in the shop for one month already. I've had a Hyundai Santa Fe for the entire duration of the time so far.
my condolences
dook is offline  
post #10 of 22 Old 04-21-2017, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 32
Posts: 56
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl83 View Post
Going through this right now. I got rear ended by a Hyundai Tiburon going 40-50+. Not my fault, so I'm going through his insurance. So far we're at $12,000 in damage, including my rear axle. Despite the fact act that my shop charges $110 per hour for everything and the insurance is only covering that for mechanical (which is very little of the overall labor), I was able to upgrade the front bumper, have a take off rear bumper put on (didn't find a rear I liked at the time), pro comp wheels, 35" tires, 2.5" lift kit, new spare tire carrier (TF HD hinged adjustable), and Magnaflow exhaust. I'm only out about $1,600 and I'm filing a diminished value claim that I'm hoping covers all that. If I get more, I'll get my new rear bumper or put it toward re-gearing. It is a lot of back and forth with the insurance, but my lender hasn't been involved at all, and I'm going through a Jeep customs shop. Not Jeep.
Damn, that's a much worse situation than I'm in. I am just going through my insurance even though it was his fault and then they can recover the money from his insurance. I'm glad to hear that you were able to upgrade the replacement parts. I am hoping for a Teraflex 44 or a currie 44 as a replacement even though I know the dealer will try to sell me their stuff. That and some upgraded driveshafts and I will be a happy camper!
PED'sReady0219 is offline  
post #11 of 22 Old 04-21-2017, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 32
Posts: 56
Feedback: 0 reviews

@JeepGirl83 have you had to fight with the insurance company at all?
PED'sReady0219 is offline  
post #12 of 22 Old 04-21-2017, 02:24 PM
Granite Guru
 
JeepGirl83's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 296
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by PED'sReady0219 View Post
@JeepGirl83 have you had to fight with the insurance company at all?
Well... I was going to go through my insurance with a no fault claim because his insurance was slow to respond. But then I got estimates from both agencies and pitted them against one another. His insurance was actually covering most of the parts at a higher cost than mine, so I went with his, but I had to rough them up a bit on labor costs. They only wanted to pay $85 mechanical and $50 for everything else. My insurance was covering $110 mechanical, so I made them match. Then I got everything else to a whopping $52. Other than that, they've been anxious to write checks or send payment to my shop EFT with little hassle.

They even offered to pay me for lost wages (even though I used a sick day, so that's all I lost) and a whopping like $150 for "pain and suffering" just because I decided to get checked out at the local urgent care. I didn't even try to fight for that... they just offered it.

The real kicker will likely be in the diminished value claim I intend to file. I've googled and seen all the ways they calculate it, so I suspect they will try to beat me down on that. I'm honestly just hoping to break even with all my upgrades (which means I need at least $1,600 for diminished value). They won't talk diminished value until repairs are done though.
JeepGirl83 is offline  
post #13 of 22 Old 04-21-2017, 02:24 PM
Granite Guru
 
JeepGirl83's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 296
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by dook View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl83 View Post
Feel free to post away or PM if you have questions. I'll happily share my experience. My Jeep has been in the shop for one month already. I've had a Hyundai Santa Fe for the entire duration of the time so far.
my condolences
Right?! It's slightly better than a CAR, but not by much. I'm anxious to get my Jeep back after more than a month without it, to say the least.
JeepGirl83 is offline  
post #14 of 22 Old 04-22-2017, 07:01 AM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 34
Posts: 28
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl83 View Post

The real kicker will likely be in the diminished value claim I intend to file. I've googled and seen all the ways they calculate it, so I suspect they will try to beat me down on that. I'm honestly just hoping to break even with all my upgrades (which means I need at least $1,600 for diminished value). They won't talk diminished value until repairs are done though.
as someone who does it for a living every day, appraising trades, financing, etc at a new car lot (Ford and Lincoln), you probably stand to get far more than that. GENERALLY, when a major accident is shown on carfax, ROUGH trade on NADA is the absolute ceiling I'll put into a vehicle when its traded. More often than not, that's more than several thousand difference to average, and that's my ceiling. Just food for thought.
dook is offline  
post #15 of 22 Old 04-22-2017, 07:20 AM
Granite Guru
 
JeepGirl83's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 296
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by dook View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl83 View Post

The real kicker will likely be in the diminished value claim I intend to file. I've googled and seen all the ways they calculate it, so I suspect they will try to beat me down on that. I'm honestly just hoping to break even with all my upgrades (which means I need at least $1,600 for diminished value). They won't talk diminished value until repairs are done though.
as someone who does it for a living every day, appraising trades, financing, etc at a new car lot (Ford and Lincoln), you probably stand to get far more than that. GENERALLY, when a major accident is shown on carfax, ROUGH trade on NADA is the absolute ceiling I'll put into a vehicle when its traded. More often than not, that's more than several thousand difference to average, and that's my ceiling. Just food for thought.
Well, that's bad news for if I ever trade it in, but good news for the short term. Do you have any recommendations on who I would get to put together an estimate before and after the accident to give to insurance? My shop can't do it, and I've called the used car department at my local Jeep dealer and haven't heard back. No clue who to go to beyond that. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Last edited by JeepGirl83; 04-22-2017 at 07:48 AM.
JeepGirl83 is offline  
post #16 of 22 Old 04-22-2017, 09:42 AM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 34
Posts: 28
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl83 View Post
Well, that's bad news for if I ever trade it in, but good news for the short term. Do you have any recommendations on who I would get to put together an estimate before and after the accident to give to insurance? My shop can't do it, and I've called the used car department at my local Jeep dealer and haven't heard back. No clue who to go to beyond that. Thanks for any help you can provide!
You can get used car values offline yourself. Just show the difference between excellent to good to fair to rough. Id personally go from excellent to rough if the jeep is well cared for. If not, good to rough. They'll look at the undamaged portion, the overall cleanliness of your interior, etc to calculate all that. You have to be realistic in your estimation of the condition your jeep was in before the accident. But you can rest assured, since its been in a major accident, the ACV (actual cash value) of your jeep will fall at or below rough trade now.
dook is offline  
post #17 of 22 Old 04-22-2017, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 32
Posts: 56
Feedback: 0 reviews

So yesterday I found out that the insurance company approved $8500 worth of repairs. I talked to the dealership about replacing the MOPAR axle, driveshafts, and BJ's with aftermarket, which is cheaper. Is there a need to tell the insurance company what I am doing or can I just work this out with the dealership? Thanks guys/girls, sorry for all of the questions.
PED'sReady0219 is offline  
post #18 of 22 Old 04-22-2017, 11:41 AM
Granite Guru
 
JeepGirl83's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 296
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by PED'sReady0219 View Post
So yesterday I found out that the insurance company approved $8500 worth of repairs. I talked to the dealership about replacing the MOPAR axle, driveshafts, and BJ's with aftermarket, which is cheaper. Is there a need to tell the insurance company what I am doing or can I just work this out with the dealership? Thanks guys/girls, sorry for all of the questions.
I wouldn't tell the insurance company. I don't know if they CAN, but I would be afraid that they would reduce my claim amount to only cover the after market parts I needed for repairs. That would prevent me from getting my additional upgrades, obviously.
JeepGirl83 is offline  
post #19 of 22 Old 04-24-2017, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 32
Posts: 56
Feedback: 0 reviews

I asked my insurance company what their policy was and was told I can put whatever I want on there. Whatever the dealership and I agree to. The dealer is a little butthurt about me choosing aftermarket parts instead of their MOPAR stuff though. Oh well!
PED'sReady0219 is offline  
post #20 of 22 Old 04-24-2017, 01:45 PM
Granite Guru
 
JeepGirl83's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 296
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by PED'sReady0219 View Post
I asked my insurance company what their policy was and was told I can put whatever I want on there. Whatever the dealership and I agree to. The dealer is a little butthurt about me choosing aftermarket parts instead of their MOPAR stuff though. Oh well!
Glad they don't care and glad you're getting what you want! Do you have an ETA on when you'll get it back yet?


2016 JKU Sport S Granite Crystal Metallic
Mods: 2.5" Teraflex lift kit w/ 9550 shocks, 1/2" front spring spacers, Teraflex JK 9550 steering stabilizer, Teraflex JK Front explorer bumper w/ hoop, Magnaflow axle back exhaust, Teraflex HD hinged carrier & adjustable spare tire, 17" Pro Comp Helldorado wheels, 35" MTZ P3s, Superchips Flashcal programmer, Freedom hardtop & Trektop NX, Brandmotion rear vision camera, remote start, Mopar slush and cargo mats, Wild Boar grab bars/handles.
JeepGirl83 is offline  
post #21 of 22 Old 04-24-2017, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 32
Posts: 56
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl83 View Post
Glad they don't care and glad you're getting what you want! Do you have an ETA on when you'll get it back yet?
I honestly don't know yet. They are pricing out the parts that I asked for and supposed to get back to me. I am hoping in a couple of weeks. I am missing all the beautiful top-off weather out here!
PED'sReady0219 is offline  
post #22 of 22 Old 04-24-2017, 05:11 PM
Granite Guru
 
JeepGirl83's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 296
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by PED'sReady0219 View Post
I am missing all the beautiful top-off weather out here!
You and me both, friend.
JeepGirl83 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome