JKOwners Forum banner

2017 Jeep (this or that)

3K views 33 replies 9 participants last post by  chris36l 
#1 · (Edited)
In the process of picking up a Jeep for myself/significant other. Going through the building process online i have a couple questions. Iv read up some, but honestly there is so much out there about jeeps its slightly overwhelming.

1st question:/
$2000 for heated seats and audio upgrade? Seems pricey. Is it really worth it or would you have better results with a custom build? I put about 4k worth of audio in my Evo, so i have experience. Just dont know if i want to put in the time. There are a lot of plug and play speakers out there for Jeep so thats nice. What do people typically do?

---Is there some sort of diagram or layout for the stock system?

The only options im really looking at are auto tranny, hardtop, and audio upgrade. Anything else you all feel is a necessity? That goes for aftermarket as well.

thanks in advance

#2 ·
Regarding your stereo I'll step aside and leave that to the experts of Jeeps with Stereo's. I know people talk about filling their sound bar and speaker cavities with a poly filling of some sort.

Anything else really depends. Are you looking brand new. If you go with a newer Rubi it can have factory heated seats and what I think it's a very nice sound system.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

#3 · (Edited)
I guess im trying to figure that out, is the upgraded Alpine+heated seat combo upgrade worth it. The heated seats isnt that big a deal for us.

I suppose its all relative but how is the Upgraded Alpine system? I have a feeling i wont like it just bc my background in that area. Not to mention my old Evo had the rockford fosgate system... wasnt very good.

#10 ·
Just for background, I ran a Memphis/JBL setup in all of my previous vehicles. 3 Memphis HPO 12's pushed by a solid JBL amp. Polk audio MOMO mids, and JBL tweeters running off of a JL audio 4 channel amp.

With that said, I have a 2015 sport with the audio upgrade to the alpine system, and it is hands down the best "stock" system that I have ever heard. I wish the audio had a larger channel equalizer in order to adjust in greater detail, but over all very happy with it. Sound quality and volume are very well meshed together.

Can't speak to the heated seats.

Hard top is nice, I would go dual top. A year or two down the road you're going to want to go topless and you're going to be kicking yourself if you don't go ahead and do it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Personally to me I wish I had heated seats sometimes but I bought a sport and didn't get any fancy options in my 13. I've mainly done off road upgrades. I haven't cared really about car audio since my S10 that I haven't owned in probably 15 years.

Whatever​ you decide top wise don't buy the other through a dealer. Generally you can find hard or soft tops lightly used for a fraction of the cost.

#11 ·
Oh im never getting rid of the Evo lol the Jeep is dual purpose, Ashley needs a car, and i need a vehicle i can take client out in, without them thinking im some juvenile fast and furious wannabe lol The Jeep is the only SUV both of us agree on.

#13 ·
#15 ·
Heated seats are easy to do.

I put these into my jeep a couple of years ago and they have not failed me yet. I put them right on top of the seat and then put bartact seat covers over them.

https://www.amazon.com/Water-Carbon...8&qid=1490622224&sr=8-3&keywords=seat+heaters

So if you can do the stereo work then the factory option for 2000 bucks is kind of dumb.

I've always done my own stereo work, but my wife nudged me in a different direction now that I'm a parent. I still have my system to install later in another vehicle. One thing I do like about the new alpine system as opposed to the old one, aside from the better quality, the subwoofer is mounted flush in the floor of the cargo area and I haven't noticed any sound difference when fully loaded down for weekend wheeling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 ·
If you're ever gonna go topless, and don't have concerns about theft or vandalism, get the OEM half doors - free option. To me, there's nothing more stupid than going topless with full doors. Half doors cost money after the fact.
You can't get a hard top with half doors, tho'. Not that the top won't work with the half door uppers, they just don't offer it that way.
Half doors also knock out some convenience features - power locks, windows, mirrors...

#17 ·
Just curious as to other Jeepers thoughts... What's so stupid about it? Any nice day in the spring and fall that we catch in-between the chiller days I flip the top down. I'm New Jersey we get crazy weather where it's 45 one day with a 30 degree night and 70 the next day with a 50 degree night. I've​ always found my soft top to be like a big giant sunroof. Easy to flip down while the sun's out and if we are out later flip it back up. Can't carry doors around so it's the easiest thing to do. Now during the summer I pretty much run doorless unless we are gonna get a stretch of crap weather.

#19 ·
Having owned 2 of the previous generations of the Alpine upgrade and now the new one in my current Hard Rock. I will say it is hands down the best sounding of the 3.

Heated seats, money well spent first time I have had them on a wrangler. It is nice on the days here in PA where we will have a warm day but chilly evenings and mornings. We get days you will run heat in the morning then have the AC on in the afternoon then back to heat in the evening. So we get some really screwed up weather.

I think what you are seeing on the build site is leather included with the sound upgrade if I am not mistaken.

#21 ·
Stupid question...if i want the removable hardtop is it the "hardtop headliner" or the "Freedom Top® Black 3-Piece Hard Top"??

#23 ·
Is this still an issue? Weakening the signal bc of vibration issues? :|

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/electrical-lighting-tech-dept/8511-dont-waste-$$$-soundbar-speakers.html

#25 ·
I made it to the dealership this morning to see the difference between the stock and upgraded Alpine system....

Stock speakers suck. garbage.

I was very impressed with the upgraded Alpine system. Not necessarily the substage but the front stage sounded pretty good at high volume. The only factory upgraded system iv heard thats better came from a Mazda 6. Now im reallyy struggling to figure out if i want to upgrade myself or do the factory upgrade. Given it comes with the upgraded seats, im leaning towards just forking over the cash and going about my business and not mess with it.

Reactions: chris36l
#27 ·
One thing with the Alpine system, take the top off and see how good it sounds. You are probably going to be disappointed in it at that time and you are going to wish you hadn't spent them money and did it yourself. Top on you get a little something out of the system (stock no sub here), top down cruising around town or on the highway everything becomes mute. I have to turn the volume up to 11 on the highway to hear anything (top and doors off).

With that said, I would do it myself if I had to knowledge and know how. You will get better components since you are saving on install cost. As you have probably read the biggest draw back to our stereo is the deck itself.

#28 ·
I'm beginning to think this Jeep will never see the dirt.
A stereo upgrade shouldn't even be on a list. Get the cheapest, bottom line POS the factory offers. Buy your tires, wheels, recovery gear, driveline, suspension, bumpers, armor and comm upgrades.

THEN you can think about whether a kickin' stereo makes sense. (Ain't nobody got time for that.) :D

#30 ·
Actually, I am an audiophile...or used to be.
That doesn't mean I've lost my taste for music or my desire to listen to it. Tho' I have forgotten a lot about what's important in the equipment (real specs that mean something in a laboratory), I haven't forgotten enough to know that a desire for accurate sound reproduction is precisely the reason I don't and won't put stereos in cars, especially convertibles.

If your GF's priorities are a stereo, she's lookin' at the wrong car.
Just sayin'.

For the production and installation of accurate sound reproduction systems in an automotive vehicle, here's "the long list" of cars deemed suitable enough to be bothered with by the makers of "real" sound equipment.

BMW - 7 series, 5 series
Maserati - Quattroporte, Ghibli, Levante
McLaren - 540C, 570S, 570GT
Volvo - XC90, S90

If you ask how much these systems cost, you're asking the wrong question. You won't find any of the components at an "on a budget" outlet like Crutchfield, let alone Best Buy.

Bottom line, as I alluded to earlier, don't bother with a god-damned stereo if you're buying a fuckin' Jeep. It's not worth it at any price. :D

#31 ·
haha i think we would get along. Working with several dealers at the moment to narrow down price and options :nerd: ...and to see who wants my business

#32 ·
You being a financial advisor, I'm sure you'll have fun with that.
Pity the foo' salesmen. :D

If case you weren't aware, ordering exactly what your GF wants in/on her Jeep as opposed to taking something off the lot can get another $1k off the price, but she'll have to wait for it to be built.

You/we call it a special order, they call it a built order...it already has a buyer. To the dealer, it means they have no money in it and aren't looking to make any profit to cover their floorplan costs. However, with the financial skills I assume you have, I'm not saying you couldn't do better playin' the dealers against each other for what they have on their floors.

Be nice about beatin' 'em up, you may have to return for service some day. :D

#33 ·
Jeep ordered.

Sport S
White
Auto
Bluetooth
Connectivity
Sirius
LED
Alpine
Leather
Hardtop

Need to find a sidestep...any recommendation for sites to use?

:smile2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.