Cleaning the Jeep - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 3VOL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 03-19-2017, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Cleaning the Jeep

So I was washing the Jeep today, first pretty nice day for March in Kansas (76), and when it came time for the fender flares and bumpers they can don't stay clean/wet looking. Any ideas on products to maintain that new black vs. faded dirty grey? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-19-2017, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

I've tried probably about a dozen different types of commercial restorers/ cleaners, home-remedies, etc.. on more than a few vehicles over the years including OEM Jeep fenders.

Certain ones just flat out don't work. Others look okay but then fade or wash off quickly/ easily. Only ONE that I've used and it actually works, works well, lasts an amazingly long time, and can actually be used on a variety of plastics successfully is called WIPE NEW. It's made by Rustoleum. The package says it works on rubber and vinyl too but that's hit or miss with this stuff. I wouldn't expect great results on everything regardless of the claims on the label, but it works damn good for clean plastic that hasn't previously been treated with other restorers, carnuba, etc. There's a bunch of other little detailing crap in the box but all I used was the micro-fiber cloth. The bottle is pretty damn small at only 1.5 oz but as it states on the package- a little goes a long way.

Here's a random link... walmart.com but you can find the stuff at typical retailers, auto parts stores, etc.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wipe-New-...wl1=g&wl2=c&wl

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #3 of 8 Old 03-19-2017, 10:25 PM
Granite Guru

I've also heard good things about Wipe New but haven't tried it yet. I've used 303 aerospace, which works OK but takes a lot of product and doesn't last that long. Mothers Back to Black is OK but I like 303 a little better. The best working / longest lasting product I've used is Armor All Outlast Trim and Plastic Restorer.

07 Jeep Green Rubi Unlimited, auto
Mods: Tuffy Cubby Storage Cover, Rugged Ridge grab handles, Shrockworks Sliders, Rock Hard Engine / Gas Tank Skids, Rhino-lined tub, Kilby Evap Can Relocation Kit, 16x8 Centerline Wilderness Series - Falcon Rims, 285/75/16 Interco SSRs, OME 2" HD Lift, PSC Diff Covers, Superwinch EPi 9.0, BulldogFab Rear Bumper, RedrockFab Front Bumper and skid

post #4 of 8 Old 03-19-2017, 10:35 PM
Where's my coffee?

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Only ONE that I've used and it actually works, works well, lasts an amazingly long time, and can actually be used on a variety of plastics successfully is called WIPE NEW. It's made by Rustoleum.
Wonder if that would work on Rustoleum Truck Bed Coating.

My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-19-2017, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

I'm not sure if it would work on liner/ coatings or not. My guess would be that it would but I never tried it so I can't say for sure.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #6 of 8 Old 03-20-2017, 07:44 AM

I have had good success with Mirror Glaze #40
post #7 of 8 Old 03-20-2017, 08:27 AM
Wheeler

I will second the Wipe New stuff. Was really skeptical of it initially but my brother in law used it on his fenders and bumpers and it seemed to hold up ok and last so I figured why not. This crap works. I've had it on everything plastic since July last year and it made it through one of the harshest winters we've ever had (lots of snow and ice which means deicer). Normally the plastics would be chalky and borderline white at this point but they are still nice and black. It definitely doesn't maintain the "wet look" if that is your thing.

****edit*** added a photo to show instead of tell. Also the jeep hasn't been washed since September.

AustinFieldsOne likes this.

Last edited by 3VOL; 03-21-2017 at 08:21 AM.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-20-2017, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Black is better than chalky grey any day! haha!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode