2Likes
  • 1 Post By kjeeper10
  • 1 Post By funfred

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 03-18-2017, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Tire alignment for oversized tires

I'm about to purchase new tires for my 2 door JK. They of course will need to be aligned, my question is should I follow stock specs for alignment or because they're bigger tires, is it beneficial to alter different measurements?
315/70/r17s are the tire size I have and I'm replacing them with.

This is my Signature
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-18-2017, 10:28 AM
Wheeler

Are you putting them on the stock suspension. Someone will chime in, just need to know more about your rig?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 14 Old 03-18-2017, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualungs View Post
Are you putting them on the stock suspension. Someone will chime in, just need to know more about your rig?

Sorry forgot that detail. I have the Mopar 2 inch lift kit. Believe its this specific one. (previous owner installed it)

This is my Signature

post #4 of 14 Old 03-18-2017, 11:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Yes stock specs

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
aqualungs likes this.

2007 JKR | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor l SteerSmarts YETI tie rod and flipped drag link | Synergy frame brace | Superlift front track bar l 37x12.5x17 MTR's on MB72's | Adams front DS | Rancho 5000x shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | RK rear track bar | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | Fox ATS | VKS sliders l Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors |
post #5 of 14 Old 03-18-2017, 11:40 AM
Wheeler

The toe is the only thing you can adjust from my understanding. besides the steering to make you vehicle go straight and slowly towards the right, if you fell asleep or whatever. Don't want to head into oncoming traffic. Your suspension setup does the rest. That's why people get adjustable control arms and other fun stuff!

post #6 of 14 Old 03-18-2017, 01:50 PM
Wheeler

[QUOTE=aqualungs;4181697]The toe is the only thing you can adjust from my understanding. besides the steering to make you vehicle go straight and slowly towards the right, if you fell asleep or whatever. Don't want to head into oncoming traffic. Your suspension setup does the rest. That's why people get adjustable control arms and other fun stuff!

I hope you don't really believe that's why they drift to the right....

Op, grab yourself a fox or whomever balanced steering stabilizer. They're kinda pricey but buy it once and you'll be happy. Solves all kinds of issues. With a wider tire I would also go with slightly more toe, about 1\4".
post #7 of 14 Old 03-18-2017, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Op, grab yourself a fox or whomever balanced steering stabilizer. They're kinda pricey but buy it once and you'll be happy. Solves all kinds of issues. With a wider tire I would also go with slightly more toe, about 1\4".[/QUOTE]

I have a single one from the Mopar kit the previous owner installed.

This is my Signature
post #8 of 14 Old 03-19-2017, 07:23 AM
Rock God

[quote=thunderball;4181745]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualungs View Post
The toe is the only thing you can adjust from my understanding. besides the steering to make you vehicle go straight and slowly towards the right, if you fell asleep or whatever. Don't want to head into oncoming traffic. Your suspension setup does the rest. That's why people get adjustable control arms and other fun stuff!

Op, grab yourself a fox or whomever balanced steering stabilizer. They're kinda pricey but buy it once and you'll be happy. Solves all kinds of issues. With a wider tire I would also go with slightly more toe, about 1\4".

I have absolutely no clue what the fuck this guy is talking about because I don't see where the op mentioned anything about drifting to the right?
But I did (sort of) understand the second part, and it's shitty advice.
1. There's no need to buy a fox or whatever other brand stabilizer.
And most importantly
2. There's absolutely no reason to increase the amount of toe-in. Keep it at the stock specs (approximately 1/8th toe in).
If one were to vary from the stock specs it would generally be most beneficial to actually decrease the toe-in and maybe even give it a slight toe-out.

post #9 of 14 Old 03-19-2017, 11:09 AM
Wheeler

I have a 16 Rubicon with 2.5 TF suspension... Changed from 17 to 18 inch rim....34.5 inch tires...I have no problem with anything in driving components... No problem going down road....need to specify exactly what's going on to these guys to nail problem

GodsRedneck(0lllllll0)
post #10 of 14 Old 03-21-2017, 07:55 AM
Wheeler

[quote=ChuckTheRipper;4182009]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderball View Post

I have absolutely no clue what the fuck this guy is talking about because I don't see where the op mentioned anything about drifting to the right?
But I did (sort of) understand the second part, and it's shitty advice.
1. There's no need to buy a fox or whatever other brand stabilizer.
And most importantly
2. There's absolutely no reason to increase the amount of toe-in. Keep it at the stock specs (approximately 1/8th toe in).
If one were to vary from the stock specs it would generally be most beneficial to actually decrease the toe-in and maybe even give it a slight toe-out.

1) a balanced stabilizer IS better than a single push stabilizer. I mentioned that because aqua doesn't know why they drift to the right apparently.

2) Toe in helps wandering on wide tires. Ive been doing string alignments on my race cars and jeeps for years so I know what the hell I'm talking about. Toe out is retarded so I guess ill agree to disagree.

post #11 of 14 Old 03-21-2017, 09:00 AM
Rock God

"Toe in" is for straight line stability at speed and reduced oversteer (spinning).
"Toe out" is for enhanced cornering and reduced understeer (plowing).
Excessive amounts of either will increase tire wear and induce serious handling issues.

I run zero toe, or slightly in, 1/16" at the most. I'm looking for tire longevity.
Zero toe can result in wandering, particularly with worn bushings or tires.

1/4" is way to much either way unless it's "out" AND you're running autocross events or on a very tight track. 2drs spin pretty easily and it's almost guaranteed if you chop the throttle on corner entry. You, also, don't want to make it easier to spin out when you get into the throttle. Go to the inside, if anything.
Wait... Why am I talking about race handling characteristics for a Wrangler?

Just go zero. If you have wandering and there's nothing wrong with the rest of your suspension, including tires, add a little "in" and as mentioned before, 1/16" is plenty.

Pulling to the right could be cross-camber and cross-caster built in to resist the crown in the road, except it would pull to the left in America. It could also be the ruts in the pavement worn in by the weight of semi-trucks. Experiment with one side or the other of a lane that has those worn ruts. Also, get on a known "flat" road and see if it pulls. If it pulls on a flat road, you could have other issues, something's bent...assuming you're not using a single, gas-charged shock as a stabilizer.
RUCKDOG likes this.

Last edited by funfred; 03-21-2017 at 09:08 AM.
post #12 of 14 Old 03-21-2017, 09:35 AM
Granite Guru

I think we need to get back to the original statement. Just because you are getting new tires does not mean an alignment is in order. Is it pulling? Is there uneven tire wear? Is there some other reason you think you need an alignment? Unless the tires are not wearing evenly, I'm not so sure an alignment is necessary.
post #13 of 14 Old 03-21-2017, 10:21 AM
Wheeler

Oops missed this one. Sorry to the OP for my bad and misinformed advice I passed on, and thank you the correction. Those responsible have been sacked.

Last edited by aqualungs; 03-21-2017 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Typos
post #14 of 14 Old 03-21-2017, 10:23 AM
Wheeler

Short explanation years ago I had a Honda Pilot that ate tires and kept pulling to the right slightly. I was told the vehicle should eventually wander right vs left.. maybe the passing out was part was own extended explanation.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode