JKOwners Forum banner

2017 info

4K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  HOGGSTATUS 
#1 ·
Was in to the dealers yesterday to get a quote on 2 new Wrangler Unlimiteds. Beside telling me they know the 2017 has Fixed rollbar windshield, alum fenders, and no cloth tops they told me they have no solid information from Jeep on the 2017's. They couldn't even tell me when Jeep would begin taking orders for them. They did tell me they would take my order, now, and sell me a 2017 at $200 over invoice when they can order from Jeep. Anyone else getting any other info from Jeep itself?

#3 ·
I'm wondering if they're going to do like when they went from the YJ to the TJ. There was no 1996 Wrangler. They kept selling 1995 Wranglers until March 1996, then started selling 1997 Wranglers.

Will there be a 2017 Wrangler? We'll see... but if so, they're talking like it'll be a short model year. The new Wrangler is going to be made in Toledo North while the current Wrangler is made in Toledo South, then once the new Wranglers start shipping they're going to re-tool Toledo South to make the pickup truck version (thus why the pickup truck version is not going to be available immediately), so there's nothing stopping them from continuing manufacturing the JK until the day the JL starts shipping, but given the need to sell a *lot* of Wranglers worldwide ASAP to meet profit goals (and the fact that the current plant is maxed out at 235,000 while the new plant will be able to make 450,000 Wranglers), you can see why they want to get that plant churning out JL's as soon as it's ready.

#4 ·
I was surprised that by now in 2016 the dealer didn't have any more info from Jeep. We're going to take delivery on a 2016 and wait till at least Oct. till the second one. I'm hoping that they will at least have some 2017's out that we can take a look at by then. The no inside rollbar should make for some easier loading and more storage space. We couldn't wait on the first one as our 2009 is in the shop with transmission problems again. Running them stop and go for six days a week takes its toll.

#5 ·
Dealers don't even get their order books for the upcoming model year until mid-August. Until then, all dealers have is exactly what you have, except cluttered by even more rumors and silliness. As for 2017's, *if* they exist (Chrysler might do like with the YJ-TJ changeover and just keep selling 2016's until the 2018's are ready), they will be identical to the 2016. Absolutely identical, because it will be a short model year from what Fiat-Chrysler is telling journalists and dealers.

#6 ·
According to this dealer there will be 2017's, but they have no order/ delivery dates. And the only 2017 changes they have been notified about at this time, is the windshield will be a fixed rollbar, there will be no interior rollbar, no cloth tops, and the fenders will be aluminum. Other than that they have only rumor. I was hoping someone might have more info from Jeep, not rumor, as we are definately going to be buying 2 within this year. The no rollbar cargo space would be a plus for us around Xmas when parcel count goes up, but we can't wait too long for a 2017 when we can purchase another 2016 now. Either way we plan to get rid of our 2009 and keep the 2014 as backup.

#9 ·
They're salesmen. Salesmen lie to make themselves look knowledgable, because they feel insecure, because they've been told something by a salesman at another dealership who wanted to trumpet superior knowledge (see first statement), or just because. Salesmen aren't auto technicians and have no ability to sort through what rumors they've heard on any sort of technical basis, a lot of salesmen really don't even know much about cars, period. So there's a lot of fluffing that goes on in the sales department. Always has been. Always will be.

I know they're lying because Chrysler doesn't release final information to dealers until the Chrysler Dealer Meeting in August. That's how they operate. That's how they've *always* operated. Dealers don't even know whether a model is going to be back or not unless it's been released as a PR statement by the mothership, much less the exact details of a new model. I.e., dealers really don't know any more than you or I until the order sheets open and the dealer meeting is underway.

I was around during the TJ->JK changeover ten years ago. I saw all these ridiculous speculations passed along from people at dealerships about what the JK would be back then, the majority of which ended up being nonsense. I learned the hard way that until the Chrysler dealer meeting is over, all that you get is speculation. Sometimes informed speculation, sometimes not. The proof, however, is in the pudding. Once the dealer show is over and the order sheets are open, then, and *only* then, does anybody outside the Mothership have real information. Before then, it's just what can be guessed by looking at heavily disguised test mules running around in Death Valley and elsewhere... which itself can be deceptive, because some of those test mules are Euro-spec and will never be sold here in the United States proper.

#11 ·
I can tell you they're lying purely because they're calling it a 2017 model. That's number one. Number two is that their rumors have not been confirmed, let alone mentioned, anywhere else, and we read EVERYTHING. Now, have similar rumors been discussed? Yes, but not what your dealer is telling you. For example:

According to this dealer there will be 2017's, but they have no order/ delivery dates.
There may be 2017 models, but they will be JKs. The next model year vehicle begins showing up around this time on dealer lots (I got my 2015 on August 22, 2014). Your dealer telling you the 2017 model is getting a total redesign makes them wrong.

And the only 2017 changes they have been notified about at this time, is the windshield will be a fixed rollbar,
This is almost certain, so this is valid, but again, not for a 2017 model vehicle. This change occurs on the 2018MY, debuting in 2017. However, they haven't been "notified."

there will be no interior rollbar,
So when the entire roof comes off, it's going to be without a roll cage? This one doesn't make sense and has not been heard before.

no cloth tops,
Something like this. The rumor is that there will be no more folding top, but it will be replaced by removable soft top panels. What they're made out of is undetermined.

and the fenders will be aluminum.
Again, something along these lines. There may/probably will be aluminum panels or pieces on the vehicle, but no confirmation of what pieces. I don't see much bang for buck with the fenders, but every pound counts. I see doors and tailgate being the aluminum pieces.

#12 ·
You read everything? Do you work for Fiat/ Chrysler/Jeep? Do you get to see inter company memos? Again I asked for solid info Not rumor. I can also read the rumors that are out. Your points: They can call it whatever year they wish, doesn't matter if they make changes or continue without changes. Dealer said Jeep told them Fixed windshield is to Be the rollbar. I see nothing in your posts that prove that you know anything about what Jeep may or may not have released to any dealer, now, not 10 years ago. Thanks but I was looking for facts.

#14 ·
Solid info is it's a 2018. Solid info is the windshield will be structural but not the sole rollbar. But you go and give them your deposit. I'm sure Autoblog, Car and Driver, and every other enthusiast site is out of the loop on the info that your dealer, and only Mrs. Reilly, has been made privy.

#16 ·
Badtux, your point that most salesman are not knowable about their products is well taken. I too have been dealing with salesman for many years. My first jeep was a 1950 Willys pickup. But I still ask, Why would any dealership (understand I'm buying 2 vehicles from them and they had 3 on the lot like I needed) tell me they had been told by Jeep that there would be 2017's and that there would be the changes I mentioned. The dealership would have no reason to have me delay buying the second and wait for more info. They already know I'm buying either a 2016 or 17. It would have made better sense to simply tell me they didn't know anything and sell me one of the other on their lot. Why are you sure they weren't told this by corporate. I'm sure I don't know. But, I seen nothing in these posts about their lying, supported by any current Facts. You think me naive, but why should I believe you over them? I believe I'd be naive to believe anyone with out facts I can check. That's why I asked for facts not rumor in the first place.

#17 ·
You're seeking facts, but you're not listening to what is being told to you. If you don't believe what has been conveyed to you hear, then go do some of your own research. The Internet is big and vast so you just maybe you'll find what your looking.

#18 ·
I am listening. Dealer tells me they have info from Jeep. I want to verify. I ask does anyone else have info from Jeep, not rumor from someplace else. No answers from anyone else saying their info, now, not 10 years ago, is anything but what I can read that is a good guess as to what is truth. I have people saying others are liars, but when I ask for proof of that, I am told, believe me not them. You believe I'm not listening. But no one has yet listened to what I first asked.

#21 · (Edited)
I've dealt with salesman on two levels; 1. Buying a vehicle and 2. While setting up them as a sponsor for our local Jeep club. Oddly enough, 2 very different experiences.

When I went in as the buyer, they were entirely, 100% sure of what they were telling me as far as features, options, what the Jeep is capable of, etc. BUT, when I went in as the "Jeep guy", and the salesman is completely surprised when I mentioned that my Rubicon has a transfer case low range ratio of 4:1 (it came up in conversation somehow) yea... that's when you realize that they ("they" being new car salesman) are basically there to make people happy. They are people pleasures. What better way to connect with the "Jeep guy" than to feed him some info that's "secret, don't take my word for it, but..." type of stuff that he doesn't know. Boom! Makes a connection, gets you trusting...

Bottom line, those guys are typically as much informed as you or I if we monitored the auto news outlets like Auto Guide and shit. Difference is they have to...we choose to. But probably 95% of the people that walk through their doors don't, which makes them look like the source for good info. They aren't. The only ones who are any bit reliable for info would be at the corporate level.

Sidenote though, if you wanna see something REALLY interesting and a little insight into what goes into developing a new car, look up "A Faster Horse" on Netflix. It's all about the S660 Mustang (2015-present). They started developing that car in 2010. FIVE years before launch. They didn't even have the new 5.0 in the old body style and they were starting the new style. Even then, the only people that knew exactly what was going on were the maybe 30 people in a boardroom discussing the car, everyone else who was part of the project (which totaled something stupid like 2000) were aware of one small thing, until it almost came time to roll them out.

#26 ·
The salemen are ******* retards....if I believed half the bullshit that comes out their mouths, I'd own a special edition "RUB CON" or maybe the supposed "HellCat Wrangler" with D44's and 32" tires......I was holding my daughter when the salemen claimed Jeep was coming out with a Wrangler with a HellCat motor in it! I laughed at him and my laughter made my daughter laugh too!!(She's 14 months old) Cause a D44 and 32's would totally hold up to 707HP.....:dunno: He was adamant it was happening....Needless to say he didn't sell me a Jeep. He looked quite upset when I ripped up and threw away his business card.

Their going to tell you whatever they think you want to hear...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.