JKOwners Forum banner

2013 JKU Brake FAIL

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  gerryjk 
#1 ·
I wanted to let everyone know about a recent issue I had with my brake system in order to let others be aware, and see if anyone has had any similar problems.

Here's the picture: My rig was parked on a 20 degree incline (nose up) for approximately 45 minutes while we waited for another group to pass us in Pritchett Canyon. I had my rig in reverse with my foot on the brake for 3-4 minutes when all of the sudden they LET GO. No brake pressure, pedal went all the way to the floor. Luckily, I didn't hit anyone or roll off an edge, but it was an experience I'd prefer to go without again.

I think the incident was due to my foot on the brake, possibly amplified by the incline I was parked on. Anyhow, I wanted to share to encourage Jeepers to not stand on their brakes for an extended period, and see if anyone has had the same experience.

No brake modifications to the enclosed system (I have a Dynatrac Big Brake Kit, but does not get into the pressurized system) and there is/was plenty of brake fluid in the rig.

Bruizer

#2 ·
Wonder if there is not an issue with your ABS brake control? Are you going to take it in for a look? Did the brakes work after the incident?

Glad that nothing happened when you lost your brakes.

#4 ·
I had a similar issue last year on the rubicon trail. 2014 jkur, only mine was in 4lo 1st gear auto facing slightly down, all of the sudden brake pedal went to the floor and I rolled into the back of my buddy. I yanked the parking brake it was weird shit. Never had an issue the rest of the trip and have wheeled a lot since but still don't trust it. Anytime I am in that situation I make sure I am not just relying on my brakes i.e. Put parking brake on and put in park. My brakes are good and stop under normal conditions, I just installed teraflex big rotor kit and it's awesome.

#5 ·
Well, interesting to hear that you had the same experience, Jadmt. I'll check with the dealer to see if they have seen anything similar, and I may try to "re-create" the problem in controlled circumstances.

My brakes also worked fine after the incident. I pumped them multiple times and pressure returned. However, the descents on the remainder of the trip had an additional level of nervousness with the brake experience.

I'll let you all know if I get anything helpful from the dealer, and anyone else that may have experienced this, please chime in.

Bruizer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.