Towing with a JK? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 04-26-2008, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

Towing with a JK?

Well I need a vehicle with more room now that my family is growing and I have always like the unlimited JKs but I also need a vehicle I can tow my TJ buggy with. Well I put that aside until I saw this picture on the jeep website.

Now I know the towing capacity of the JK says 3500lbs and that jeep cannot weigh less than 3500-4000lbs plus the trailer at ~1500lbs and that goes well over the towing capacity of the JK.

What gives? Can I get a really light trailer and tow my TJ buggy? It doesn't weight more than 4000lbs.

Has anyone else done something like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-26-2008, 11:31 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinty View Post
Well I need a vehicle with more room now that my family is growing and I have always like the unlimited JKs but I also need a vehicle I can tow my TJ buggy with. Well I put that aside until I saw this picture on the jeep website.

Now I know the towing capacity of the JK says 3500lbs and that jeep cannot weigh less than 3500-4000lbs plus the trailer at ~1500lbs and that goes well over the towing capacity of the JK.

What gives? Can I get a really light trailer and tow my TJ buggy? It doesn't weight more than 4000lbs.

Has anyone else done something like this?
The stock curb weight of a CJ-5 ranges from 2300 - 2500 lbs and it's possible that the trailer could be as light as 1000 lbs. So, technically the set up shown could be less than 3500 lbs. That said, the long wheelbase of the JK should be able to support towing slightly more than the stated limit. I would guess 3500 - 4500 lbs should be OK, particularly for short distances and as long as the hills aren't too steep.

07 Jeep Green Rubi Unlimited, auto
Mods: Tuffy Cubby Storage Cover, Rugged Ridge grab handles, Shrockworks Sliders, Rock Hard Engine / Gas Tank Skids, Rhino-lined tub, Kilby Evap Can Relocation Kit, 16x8 Centerline Wilderness Series - Falcon Rims, 285/75/16 Interco SSRs, OME 2" HD Lift, PSC Diff Covers, Superwinch EPi 9.0, BulldogFab Rear Bumper, RedrockFab Front Bumper and skid
post #3 of 16 Old 04-26-2008, 12:08 PM
gcg

One thing you should be aware of if you tow over the manufacturer's rated towing weight is that, in the case of an accident, you might be held legally liable even if it wasn't strictly your fault. This point seems to get ignored over and over but it is important. It's not just about whether you have enough power to get it all moving or enough brakes to stop it all or enough stability to keep it under control. Those things are, of course, very important. But in the case of an accident, the law takes over and you could find yourself in a bad place. I'm not an expert on any of this but I did do some research on it before I bought a small tent trailer to tow with my XJ. It is probably prudent to check with your insurance company and the police first just to be sure you aren't putting yourself needlessly at risk.
post #4 of 16 Old 04-26-2008, 02:45 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg View Post
One thing you should be aware of if you tow over the manufacturer's rated towing weight is that, in the case of an accident, you might be held legally liable even if it wasn't strictly your fault. This point seems to get ignored over and over but it is important. It's not just about whether you have enough power to get it all moving or enough brakes to stop it all or enough stability to keep it under control. Those things are, of course, very important. But in the case of an accident, the law takes over and you could find yourself in a bad place. I'm not an expert on any of this but I did do some research on it before I bought a small tent trailer to tow with my XJ. It is probably prudent to check with your insurance company and the police first just to be sure you aren't putting yourself needlessly at risk.
That is a good point. If you tow over the manufacturer's limit, you do so at your own risk in case of an accident. That said, I can't think of any reason that the JK's tow rating is so low. I believe the Jeep engineers were asked that question a while back during a jeepforum q and a and they didn't give any really satisfactory answer either.

07 Jeep Green Rubi Unlimited, auto
Mods: Tuffy Cubby Storage Cover, Rugged Ridge grab handles, Shrockworks Sliders, Rock Hard Engine / Gas Tank Skids, Rhino-lined tub, Kilby Evap Can Relocation Kit, 16x8 Centerline Wilderness Series - Falcon Rims, 285/75/16 Interco SSRs, OME 2" HD Lift, PSC Diff Covers, Superwinch EPi 9.0, BulldogFab Rear Bumper, RedrockFab Front Bumper and skid
post #5 of 16 Old 04-26-2008, 06:14 PM
Rock God

Send a message via MSN to b1pig

some states actually have pretty strict laws regarding towing and weight ratings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'15 Ram 1500
2008 Kawasaki KLR650
needed: boat and plane
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 Old 04-26-2008, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Well we test drove a Unlimited X with the 4 speed auto today. Actually it's sitting in the driveway cause we are testing it over the weekend. Power seems pretty limited but I have heard that picks up after a while. I don't know though, this freaking stealership wont budge off the sticker price.
post #7 of 16 Old 04-26-2008, 08:26 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinty View Post
Well we test drove a Unlimited X with the 4 speed auto today. Actually it's sitting in the driveway cause we are testing it over the weekend. Power seems pretty limited but I have heard that picks up after a while. I don't know though, this freaking stealership wont budge off the sticker price.

Find a new dealership. Everyone around here is even dealing on Rubicons now.
post #8 of 16 Old 04-27-2008, 09:08 AM
Rock God

If it gets less than thirty miles to the gallon they will deal. I bought mine a little over a year ago (at the height of the JK frenzy) and still got over $2500 off of sticker. Try another dealer.
post #9 of 16 Old 04-30-2008, 08:52 AM
JKO Addict!

Whatever you do, make sure you get a Class III hitch...MOPAR's hitch is only a Class I, Rugged Ridge is, like evrything else they make, a cheap Asian or Mexican knockoff of other people's products, and it's not even tow rated...buyer beware.

Dedicating the next four years to throwing the bum(s) out!

The One Constant in an Ever Declining Civilization...Me!

Putting the SWAT Back in Conservative Values
post #10 of 16 Old 04-30-2008, 09:40 AM
Rock God

The stock hitch is a Class 2 not a class 1.. My LOD has a Class 3 hitch in it and I used 12 grade 8 bolts to make sure I have no problems.

07 JKU, To see my mods & Jeep in Action @

CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s

Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.

Last edited by mrsig; 04-30-2008 at 09:42 AM.
post #11 of 16 Old 05-01-2008, 03:18 AM
JKO Addict!

Sorry...but you're wrong...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsig View Post
The stock hitch is a Class 2 not a class 1.. ]
Check the Jeep.com site, order up a hitch, and you will see on the site that it's a Class I hitch...also, a call to dealers as well as a call to Chrysler confirmed what I always knew, that indeed the facatory OEM tow hitch as installed by Chrysler and/or purchased at a dealer is in fact a Class I hitch...many have made the mistake of thinking it was a II, and even Quadratec lists the DC OEM hitch for Wrangler JK's as a Class III hitch...

post #12 of 16 Old 05-01-2008, 05:01 AM
Rock God

My window sticker has it as Tow package= Class 2 receiver (max weight 3500/350 tong), Wire harnesse flat 4 plug, Trans cooler. Why is that??
Thanks

07 JKU, To see my mods & Jeep in Action @

CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s

Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.
post #13 of 16 Old 05-01-2008, 05:21 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsig View Post
My window sticker has it as Tow package= Class 2 receiver (max weight 3500/350 tong), Wire harnesse flat 4 plug, Trans cooler. Why is that??
Thanks

I have no idea why yours says that...I'm at a dealer right now waiting for my wife's car to be inspected, and as I peruse the new car lot, the JK's that have factory installed hitches all say Class I...you got me.

post #14 of 16 Old 05-01-2008, 05:55 AM
Wheeler

My window sticker says the trailer tow package has a class II receiver hitch also.
When I was building JK's on the Jeep website in January 07', I remember the optional trailer tow package saying it was a class II receiver.
Maybe they were stronger in 07, and 08's are now class I receivers?

07' Graystone Unlimited Rubicon
Rubicon Express 4.5" Long Arm kit
35" BFG mud's and 17" Pro Comp wheels
Warn 9.5ti winch
Shrockworks stubby front bumper
Mopar rear bumper/tire carrier
Poly Performance rocker guards
Skid Row engine skid
and a whole lot more over priced stuff
post #15 of 16 Old 05-01-2008, 06:19 AM
JKO Addict!

It has everything to do with liability, I'm sure...again...it takes but a moment...go to Jeep.com, build a Wrangler, add the hitch, and see what you get...simple...still not convinced??? Call DC themselves...I have...they will tell you the same...now, for '07, they may have had Class II hitches as an option, but now they don't.

post #16 of 16 Old 05-02-2008, 05:47 AM
Wheeler

My window sticker just saws "Trailer Tow Group". I wonder if it's stamped on the part itself...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode