Which Skids? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-07-2008, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Which Skids?

I would like some more protection for the gas tank and oil pan while keeping the weight gain down as much as possible. After doing some research I'm leaning towards the Rock Hard oil pan/engine/cat and gas tank skids. However both the Poly and Treks more comprehensive belly type skids are tempting (although heavier and more expensive). Any thoughts/opinions/experience? Thanks in advance!

07 Jeep Green Rubi Unlimited, auto
Mods: Tuffy Cubby Storage Cover, Rugged Ridge grab handles, Shrockworks Sliders, Rock Hard Engine / Gas Tank Skids, Rhino-lined tub, Kilby Evap Can Relocation Kit, 16x8 Centerline Wilderness Series - Falcon Rims, 285/75/16 Interco SSRs, OME 2" HD Lift, PSC Diff Covers, Superwinch EPi 9.0, BulldogFab Rear Bumper, RedrockFab Front Bumper and skid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-07-2008, 03:11 PM
Wheeler

I have the Rock Hard engine skid - i like it a lot. it's a little wider than the other to protect the cat converters too. Though it sure is heavy - no getting away from that!
post #3 of 8 Old 04-07-2008, 08:21 PM
Wheeler

Im happy with my Skid Row engine skid, Ive put it to use many times, Ive even had the weight of the Jeep on it, rocking on a rock and nothing has phased it

07' Graystone Unlimited Rubicon
Rubicon Express 4.5" Long Arm kit
35" BFG mud's and 17" Pro Comp wheels
Warn 9.5ti winch
Shrockworks stubby front bumper
Mopar rear bumper/tire carrier
Poly Performance rocker guards
Skid Row engine skid
and a whole lot more over priced stuff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 8 Old 04-08-2008, 06:33 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eracer76 View Post
Im happy with my Skid Row engine skid, Ive put it to use many times, Ive even had the weight of the Jeep on it, rocking on a rock and nothing has phased it
X2 on the Skidrow duability,..bullet proof

Jim,
USMC 0311 - 1811 RVN (Dec 67 - Aug 69) DAV, DMZ "Leatherneck square"((To All The "November Charlie Foxtrot's" that think they know)) You Are Clueless
G27 , G26, & G22-C
post #5 of 8 Old 04-11-2008, 12:40 PM
Granite Guru

Go with the Rockhard and you won't regret it. I hope. They make the engine skid, transfercase, fuel tank. I'm getting the fuel tank once money starts flowing again. Got a huge dent which made me lose 1 gallon of fuel capacity.

2008 Stone White 2DR X
Cutsom TJ front 2" springs with 2 spacers
Teraflex rear 3" 4dr. springs heated so they actually sit 3" on my 2dr
Custom rear shock mounts
285x75 R16 Treadwright MTRs Yeah they rock soon to be 315x70 R16
Xenon Narrow Flares
Woods Steering Stabilzer Bracket
Teraflex rear driveline
Mopar Frt bumper made Stubby
KC Slimlites
Bikini Top
Custom exhaust - Flowmaster single chamber with Woods tail pipe
Lots of Beer Consumption
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-27-2008, 03:38 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nam6869usmc View Post
X2 on the Skidrow duability,..bullet proof
X4....................

Dedicating the next four years to throwing the bum(s) out!

The One Constant in an Ever Declining Civilization...Me!

Putting the SWAT Back in Conservative Values
post #7 of 8 Old 05-27-2008, 08:55 AM
Rock God

I don't think you're gonna go wrong no matter what you choose. Rockhard, Poly, Treks or Skidrow are all quality makers of stuff and stand by their products. The Rancho glue on skid looks a little weird to me, but... that's probably the lightest skid out there. Early on Skidrow was having some clearance issues, but from the sound of the shameless pimps posting above this it sounds like that's all been worked out. I have the Rockhard setup and it has served me well. Just keep in mind if you run a skid system underneath remember how it all comes apart because you'll need to remove them come major maintenance (transmission and such) time.

BEER Helping me do stupid things to my JK since 2007!
post #8 of 8 Old 05-27-2008, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks for all the input! FYI - I ended up going with Rock Hard engine and gas tank skids and I kept the factory trans case skid for now. The Rock Hards seemed well built/designed and I liked that their engine skid included a skid for the cat. The gas tank skid may not be beefy enough for the most hard core rock crawlers out there, but it should work well enough for my purposes. I like the Kilby, Poly, and Treks skids, but I couldn't justify the extra cost and weight for the moderate wheeling that I do.

The only thing I noticed when installing the Rock Hard engine skid is that the engine mounts (the front engine skid mounts) don't seem that strong. Anyone see any damage to these after some trail abuse to their engine skids??

07 Jeep Green Rubi Unlimited, auto
Mods: Tuffy Cubby Storage Cover, Rugged Ridge grab handles, Shrockworks Sliders, Rock Hard Engine / Gas Tank Skids, Rhino-lined tub, Kilby Evap Can Relocation Kit, 16x8 Centerline Wilderness Series - Falcon Rims, 285/75/16 Interco SSRs, OME 2" HD Lift, PSC Diff Covers, Superwinch EPi 9.0, BulldogFab Rear Bumper, RedrockFab Front Bumper and skid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode