Protection for your jeep - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 03-12-2008, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
C-rog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 140
Feedback: 0 reviews
Protection for your jeep

My insurance company told me that if I added everything I was thinking of adding they wouldn't insure my Jeep. Who insures jeeps with a lot in aftermarket add-ons. I didn't get security features on mine because the dealer told me anything going through the doors like power locks, windows and security would make it a pain to take the doors off. I added a Viper security system with the pager that pages me if someone breaks in and I'm within a .5mi of the jeep. I also added a tilt sensor for someone trying to move it. I'm just thinking I want more security/insurance if someone were to try to steal it. Does anyone have lojack or something similar, or know of an insurance company that will insure steal bumbers etc. if so what do you pay and what company?

I live in a suburb of Detroit if that explains more.
C-rog is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 33 Old 03-12-2008, 12:50 PM
Rock God
 
skibum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Ice Bowl
Posts: 900
Feedback: 0 reviews

Suburb of Detroit explains a lot (I'm originally from Michigan so I understand the reference). My insurance company (Allstate....which sucks, BTW) covers the mods to my vehicle. I don't remember the exact language in the policy but I am covered. Similar to contents coverage, they have no idea what you are going to carry around in your Jeep, so the policy cost reflects the off chance that you may be carrying a load of diamonds or something. If I can prove it was there (bumpers or diamonds), I'm covered. My policy costs me about $700 a year for full coverage.
skibum is offline  
post #3 of 33 Old 03-12-2008, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
C-rog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 140
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum View Post
Suburb of Detroit explains a lot (I'm originally from Michigan so I understand the reference). My insurance company (Allstate....which sucks, BTW) covers the mods to my vehicle. I don't remember the exact language in the policy but I am covered. Similar to contents coverage, they have no idea what you are going to carry around in your Jeep, so the policy cost reflects the off chance that you may be carrying a load of diamonds or something. If I can prove it was there (bumpers or diamonds), I'm covered. My policy costs me about $700 a year for full coverage.
That sounds pretty good what's wrong with that? I got my insurance through Costco and it's 800.00 a yr. on what they think is a 26k jeep

Where in Mi are you from originally?
C-rog is offline  
post #4 of 33 Old 03-12-2008, 01:20 PM
Alec W
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

I called my insurance and was told add-ons (notice I did not call them goodies ) and mods are covered like anything else that’s not part of the Jeep. If you can prove you had them when the Jeep was stolen or smashed then they are covered.

I pay about $800 per year in Metro Denver for full coverage.
post #5 of 33 Old 03-12-2008, 01:31 PM
Rock God
 
skibum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Ice Bowl
Posts: 900
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-rog View Post
That sounds pretty good what's wrong with that? I got my insurance through Costco and it's 800.00 a yr. on what they think is a 26k jeep

Where in Mi are you from originally?
Frankenmuth...........the world headquarters for Christmas ornaments and chicken dinners.
skibum is offline  
post #6 of 33 Old 03-12-2008, 01:34 PM
Rock God
 
Bigjerm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: GA
Posts: 1,071
Feedback: 0 reviews

i think it does depends on the company some. I know with State Farm anything on my car or Jeep is covered as a long as i have.. comprehensive coverage... I think thats what it is called. Either way, I would definitly call and talk to a few diffrent people at your company first before you do anything else.

As for your dealer... I am pretty sure it is still just one wire harness if you have power everything or just a door so taking the doors off would not have been harder except they may weigh a few more lbs.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 LJ - current
2007 4dr Rubicon - sold Project- JK
2007 2dr X - sold JK-forum
Bigjerm is offline  
post #7 of 33 Old 03-12-2008, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
C-rog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 140
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum View Post
Frankenmuth...........the world headquarters for Christmas ornaments and chicken dinners.
Oh ya, right near Freeway Fritz with the big Chicken! I'm originally from TC area so on road trips up north it's just not the same unless you stop at Freeway Fritz.
C-rog is offline  
post #8 of 33 Old 03-12-2008, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
C-rog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 140
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjerm View Post
i think it does depends on the company some. I know with State Farm anything on my car or Jeep is covered as a long as i have.. comprehensive coverage... I think thats what it is called. Either way, I would definitly call and talk to a few diffrent people at your company first before you do anything else.

As for your dealer... I am pretty sure it is still just one wire harness if you have power everything or just a door so taking the doors off would not have been harder except they may weigh a few more lbs.

Ya, I found out later it was just one wire harness. I'll check on the rest though.
C-rog is offline  
post #9 of 33 Old 03-12-2008, 02:01 PM
Rock God
 
skibum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Ice Bowl
Posts: 900
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-rog View Post
Oh ya, right near Freeway Fritz with the big Chicken! I'm originally from TC area so on road trips up north it's just not the same unless you stop at Freeway Fritz.
It's been a long time since I was home. Don't know Freeway Fritz. We always stopped at the Conlee Travel Center in Birch Run for beer, gas, crawlers and other important stuff.
skibum is offline  
post #10 of 33 Old 03-12-2008, 08:07 PM
gcg
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-rog View Post
My insurance company told me that if I added everything I was thinking of adding they wouldn't insure my Jeep. Who insures jeeps with a lot in aftermarket add-ons. I didn't get security features on mine because the dealer told me anything going through the doors like power locks, windows and security would make it a pain to take the doors off. I added a Viper security system with the pager that pages me if someone breaks in and I'm within a .5mi of the jeep. I also added a tilt sensor for someone trying to move it. I'm just thinking I want more security/insurance if someone were to try to steal it. Does anyone have lojack or something similar, or know of an insurance company that will insure steal bumbers etc. if so what do you pay and what company?

I live in a suburb of Detroit if that explains more.
I ran into the same problem initially. But then I told them I was just adding a bunch of Goodies and they said that was OK, so you might want to try that.
post #11 of 33 Old 03-13-2008, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
C-rog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 140
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg View Post
I ran into the same problem initially. But then I told them I was just adding a bunch of Goodies and they said that was OK, so you might want to try that.

I tried that, that's why I informed you guys that is sounds like a Sally thing to say. I was in the insurance office and said, "right now you insure my Jeep but now I need you to insure my goodies." They said to get the hell out of their office before they call the cops!

So needless to say, I was warning you guys! Ya know, looking out for your best interest.
C-rog is offline  
post #12 of 33 Old 03-13-2008, 09:34 AM
Rock God
 
dougnpj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Surprise AZ
Age: 51
Posts: 1,237
Feedback: 1 reviews

UUUMMMM Goodies…….

jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
dougnpj is offline  
post #13 of 33 Old 03-13-2008, 10:40 AM
Rock God
 
John L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 963
Feedback: 0 reviews

Geez you guys have cheap insurance. Mine is about 1300 a year full coverage. I'm over 40, NEVER had an accident and I can't even remember my last ticket, maybe back in the early 90's? Why the hell is mine so high? I've been with the same company for close to 20 years.
This is with Liberty Mutual, the old Prudential.

/jl

Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Last edited by John L; 03-13-2008 at 10:42 AM.
John L is offline  
post #14 of 33 Old 03-13-2008, 11:04 AM
JKO Addict!
 
priell3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Northcentral, PA
Age: 55
Posts: 2,083
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by John L View Post
Geez you guys have cheap insurance. Mine is about 1300 a year full coverage. I'm over 40, NEVER had an accident and I can't even remember my last ticket, maybe back in the early 90's? Why the hell is mine so high? I've been with the same company for close to 20 years.
This is with Liberty Mutual, the old Prudential.
Maybe time to call around to some other agencies.

I pay around 750 a year to State Farm on my JK which covers both my wife and myself. Also have homeowner's through them and get a discount for multiple policies.


MikeP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

priell3 is offline  
post #15 of 33 Old 03-13-2008, 11:26 AM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 29
Feedback: 0 reviews

i have lojack which lowered the insurance a little...

07 X 2door, Fab Four Bumpers, Hardtop, Ramsey Wireless Winch
2Tough_Nelson is offline  
post #16 of 33 Old 03-13-2008, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
C-rog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 140
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by John L View Post
Geez you guys have cheap insurance. Mine is about 1300 a year full coverage. I'm over 40, NEVER had an accident and I can't even remember my last ticket, maybe back in the early 90's? Why the hell is mine so high? I've been with the same company for close to 20 years.
This is with Liberty Mutual, the old Prudential.
It could be your zip code that's a huge factor. One hour from me in down town detroit it's 2500.00 per year with a good record.
C-rog is offline  
post #17 of 33 Old 03-13-2008, 02:54 PM
gcg
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-rog View Post
I tried that, that's why I informed you guys that is sounds like a Sally thing to say. I was in the insurance office and said, "right now you insure my Jeep but now I need you to insure my goodies." They said to get the hell out of their office before they call the cops!

So needless to say, I was warning you guys! Ya know, looking out for your best interest.
You may want to work on your verbal communication skills a bit.
post #18 of 33 Old 03-13-2008, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
C-rog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 140
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg View Post
You may want to work on your verbal communication skills a bit.
You mean the period instead of the question mark? Sorry for the poor communication skills. It was an oversight. If it's something else please explain so I'm aware.
C-rog is offline  
post #19 of 33 Old 03-13-2008, 04:16 PM
dsp
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 21
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-rog View Post
That sounds pretty good what's wrong with that? I got my insurance through Costco and it's 800.00 a yr. on what they think is a 26k jeep

Where in Mi are you from originally?
I live in the Detriot area, we have costco insurance, I would think that it is covered as long as you have pics of it, or receipts. I am sure they would cover add on radios, they also cover contents.
dsp is offline  
post #20 of 33 Old 03-13-2008, 04:45 PM
gcg
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-rog View Post
You mean the period instead of the question mark? Sorry for the poor communication skills. It was an oversight. If it's something else please explain so I'm aware.
I said verbal, not written.
post #21 of 33 Old 03-13-2008, 04:54 PM
Rock God
 
Bigjerm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: GA
Posts: 1,071
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by John L View Post
Geez you guys have cheap insurance. Mine is about 1300 a year full coverage. I'm over 40, NEVER had an accident and I can't even remember my last ticket, maybe back in the early 90's? Why the hell is mine so high? I've been with the same company for close to 20 years.
This is with Liberty Mutual, the old Prudential.
I pay $120 a Month! 21 years old (almost 22), life insurance through statefarm as well so i get a "discount" and i have had 2 cars totaled, neither one my fault and it was ruled that way but that was a few years ago


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 LJ - current
2007 4dr Rubicon - sold Project- JK
2007 2dr X - sold JK-forum
Bigjerm is offline  
post #22 of 33 Old 03-14-2008, 07:37 AM
JKO Addict!
 
priell3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Northcentral, PA
Age: 55
Posts: 2,083
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews

Additional protection for my Jeep:
http://tinyurl.com/2dguj7


MikeP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

priell3 is offline  
post #23 of 33 Old 03-14-2008, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
C-rog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 140
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsp View Post
I live in the Detriot area, we have costco insurance, I would think that it is covered as long as you have pics of it, or receipts. I am sure they would cover add on radios, they also cover contents.
I don't know maybe radios but suspensions etc. I don't think. I know you have to disclose major changes because it effects the premium that's what made me start this thread because the insurance company made me feel like I was damned if I did damned if I didn't. Like I said in the starter she said if I made the changes they would cancel me. My changes are pretty major from full suspension, air lockers, AEV hood etc. I think my next purchase will be something along the lines of Lojack. especially if it gets me a discount.
C-rog is offline  
post #24 of 33 Old 03-14-2008, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
C-rog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 140
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tough_Nelson View Post
i have lojack which lowered the insurance a little...
How does that work, I know there's something hidden in your jeep, I'm assuming you call a number into the police then if it's stolen the punch in that number to trigger something? Did you have a place install it? And how much did your insurance drop?

thanks
C-rog is offline  
post #25 of 33 Old 03-14-2008, 10:49 AM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 29
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-rog View Post
How does that work, I know there's something hidden in your jeep, I'm assuming you call a number into the police then if it's stolen the punch in that number to trigger something? Did you have a place install it? And how much did your insurance drop?

thanks
well there are two different kinds, there is the early warning and then there is the satelite one. When u install it, the lojack can be hidden anywhere in the car so its hard to someone to steal your car and locate it right away. When your car turns on and moves a couple of feet, the lojack will check if you have a chip in the car. If the chip is not in the car, lojack will tell you either by phone or email telling you that someone has moved your car. This is the early warning lojack. The satellite one works the same i think, but all you need to do is give the lojack number to the police and they will locate it. The dealer actually put it in when i bought the car. But you can get it usually at the car performance places or audio. As for insurance, Im not sure, since i still put myself under my fathers insurance, but i know he saved like 100 or 200. Also lojack guarantees that if your car in not returned to you in 48 hours it will pay for your car or something like that. Not sure exactly but it does have a nice guarantee for your car.

07 X 2door, Fab Four Bumpers, Hardtop, Ramsey Wireless Winch
2Tough_Nelson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome