JK-Jam MJ build - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 11-19-2013, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

JK-Jam MJ build

So I picked up an 88 comanche eliminator, 4.0 renix, 2wd, with <170k and the AW4 all for $600. I plan to build this puppy up into a nice trail rig but something I can use around town for hauling stuff if need be since none of my friends have a truck.
My plans are; I have a D44 rear with limited slip already (rare find for a 2wd MJ much less the SWB one) So I dont have to do an axle swap in the rear at least not yet. It is caked in oil and grease I mean literally somewhere between .5 to 1" of crap. Ive been scrapping off of the undercarriage with a 4" paint spatula and pressure washed it for a few hours, its as good as its going to get until I start taking things apart and out for the lift. I have to replace some vacuum lines (at dealer the part I needed was $192. No auto parts store had it, Amazon had the same part for $20), and finally ill need to trouble shoot my reverse lights not working (the wiring is a mess) Ill be swapping in a new tranny and tcase maybe this week depending how far I get on cleaning and repairs. I have a D44 front lined up to replace the front tube then I just need a front DS, shorten my rear and ill be a 4x4. Long term: 8 to 9" long arm lift to fit 37s if I decide to go that big im in between 35s and 37s, fix some dents and sand everything down to paint it a dark blue, ill be replacing the bumpers and installing a winch, selectable locker in the rear (this is a maybe as I am going to try out the limited slip and see how it does), im not sure on the front as far as the type of locker I want. Custom made sliders, custom made rear bumper, corner guards with LEDs, an OBA system, upgraded steering, if I do 37s then hydro assist. I have a brand new radiator( but will eventually replace this one with an open cooling system), I have new tranny and power steering coolers also. Beyond that its mostly cosmetic I guess; led light bar, removable seats in bed in case I have extra ppl. Im sure theres more that im not thinking about, I have a huge list and priced things out. Its going to be a fun project and great learning experience.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 11-19-2013, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

The day I brought it home I immediately set to work with help from friends! Immediately start cleaning it up as I pulled apart the valve cover and took apart the pully to access the water pump. P.O. thought the engine bearings were going bad so thats why I got it so cheap but it was just a bad water pump, he also had an oil leak he couldnt find which was easy to see it was from the valve cover and his oil pan where all the nuts were loose. I worked on that as my friends cleaned and started sanding down and repairing parts of the body. We got it up and running that night around 1 a.m. with only a slight belt squeal. But, I had to order a few more parts to get it in "perfect" working order
Attached Images

post #3 of 21 Old 11-19-2013, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

After the first night I spent the next day basically tightening things down, drove it for a bit and replacing hoses. Both upper and lower radiator hoses were shot and needed replaced.
Attached Images

post #4 of 21 Old 11-19-2013, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Day 3...was messy this was when I started cleaning the undercarriage. It was a mess and still is but not nearly as bad. Id say I cleaned off around 30lbs of grease/oil/ and grime and thats maybe 70%. This was also the day I realized I had a D44. I changed the diff fluid this day and god did it need it!
Attached Images

post #5 of 21 Old 11-19-2013, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Today I sanded down a good portion of the bed due to a crappy bedlined job from p.o. and some small rust issue. That is the only rust ive found so far though and it was just surface. I reapplied bedline so ill see what it looks like when it cures, if need be ill sand it back down and get it done professionally.
Attached Images

post #6 of 21 Old 11-19-2013, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

UPS just dropped off my parts! Going to purr like a kitten now. Well maybe like a nearly 30 year old vehicle should.
Attached Images

post #7 of 21 Old 11-19-2013, 07:47 PM
V8 dreams

looks interesting, i'll watch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2010 Silver JKU
post #8 of 21 Old 11-19-2013, 08:10 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to DiscoBayJoe

wow, was he lub'n the dif with mudbath?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2008 JKUR 3.5" Frankenlift : RK/Artec/Synergy/Reid/Currie/PSC - Spyder'd Out - 35" MTR/K's on Spyderlocks - BinksFab Tailgate
post #9 of 21 Old 11-19-2013, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Idk man. It was pretty bad, very thick! I got it all put together tonight ran a little "rough" until he warmed up but then seemed to run great! Vacuum lines were a bit of a pain to route and even put together, spit is still a great lubricant . Smoked a little at start but then cleaned up, im going to seafoam; gas tank, vacuum lines, and oil tomorrow then take it for a nice drive to purge the systems. It has a couple noises I need to check out also. So ill start sanding and painting this week.
Attached Images

post #10 of 21 Old 12-14-2013, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Continued cleaning it up, sanded down some rust spots and placed some primer on them for now. Replaced my harmonic balancer and found some blowby so i changed out my pcv valve. I'm going to take off the bed and sand everything down in the next few weeks so I can prep it to be monstalined. I'm going to so the entire jeep in a blue. Today I picked up a new tranny, tcase, driveline and some skids so I'll be installing those over this next few days, now all I need is a front axle and I'm 4x4!
Attached Images

post #11 of 21 Old 02-11-2014, 10:38 AM

Just bought an MJ myself, how's your progress coming?
post #12 of 21 Old 02-12-2014, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I replaced a lot of sensors such as IAC, TPS, Map and so on. It is up and running as good as its going to get, good temp, good idle, just has a slight squeal in the belt area. I replaced harmonic balancer, belt, and tightened the crap outta it so eventually I'll pull the pulleys off and clean them some more this MJ is/was an oil nightmare. I fixed a bunch of leaks only two left a power steering leak and a coolant leak. I'll be upgrading to open cooling eventually as well as the Durango non plow steering box. I haven't monstalined it yet as my work schedule has been hectic it looks like I won't be getting much time to work on it until after April. I've been researching a lot on lifts, gearing, lockers and so on I just haven't decided on anything yet. MJ's are a unique beast and trying to piece things together is making me do a lot of reading. I don't want to get a POS lift as this will be driven around town as well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #13 of 21 Old 05-10-2014, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

The app won't let me attach any pictures anymore so I'll try to update this eventually. Lift, tires, paint, and a lot more is done

post #14 of 21 Old 05-19-2014, 09:21 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK-Jam View Post
The app won't let me attach any pictures anymore so I'll try to update this eventually. Lift, tires, paint, and a lot more is done

Would like to see it. Nice project.

“It isn't so much that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so many things that aren't so.”― Ronald Reagan
post #15 of 21 Old 05-19-2014, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
I will update this soon, still currently working on it. This is essentially what the final product looks like.
post #16 of 21 Old 08-18-2014, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I don't get on here much anymore as I no longer have the JK and I can't post pictures with the app. I'll attach my build thread on Comanche club that I threw together real quick.
http://comancheclub.com/index.php?/t...am&#39;s-build

Last edited by JK-Jam; 08-19-2014 at 12:42 AM.
post #17 of 21 Old 08-24-2014, 08:01 PM
Granite Guru

just checked out your thread on CC. looks like it's come a long ways. nice build James!

Mike M

2013 2dr rubi
MC 2.5", Fox RR TF tuned shocks, TF carrier, Viair, TL's and so on...... still on stock tires
post #18 of 21 Old 08-24-2014, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
just checked out your thread on CC. looks like it's come a long ways. nice build James!
Thanks man! It's become a beast, I'm going to build some bumpers and an exo cage eventually at work. Exo cage might come after I get a tow pig.
post #19 of 21 Old 06-14-2016, 09:22 PM
Rock God

Last post was 2014, any chance of a update????

"Government is not the solution, it is the problem."
"We are never defeated unless we give up on GOD."
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be protected, and handed on for them to do the same."
Ronald Reagan
Life is 10 percent what happens to you and 90 percent how you respond.
post #20 of 21 Old 08-30-2016, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC7 View Post
Last post was 2014, any chance of a update????
I really dont get on here at all anymore. Only reason i did was to get an old PM as proof for a vendor. Since my last post hmm, i have bedlined exterior, completed 4wd swap, geared to 4.88s, locked front and rear axle (aussie front and Ox rear), installed aux lighting (50" curved LED, LED headlights, LED rock lights), welded in some control arm skids, got front and rear bumpers done, sliders done, installed CB and wired it up through radio so they both use same antenna, open cooling conversion, durango steering box, installed switch panel with trans temp gage, replaced the transmission again as first 4wd one got hydro'd, exhaust wrap, OBA, motor and trans mounts upgraded to poly, im sure there is some stuff im forgetting. But i have wheeled the piss out of it and it has yet to break on me.
I recently bought my new tow pig and trailer so ill be getting ready for another round of upgrades. Exo probably in the next 2 years with a shaved 14 rear and 60 front, hydro assist, cut the cab to make more room, bucket seat swap, larger tires, and potentially a motor trans swap.
post #21 of 21 Old 08-30-2016, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode