.17 Cal. Varmant Gun? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 03-30-2009, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

.17 Cal. Varmant Gun?

Thinking about buying a Savage or Marlin .17 Caliber? Anyone have any experience with either?

'08 Unlimited Sahara - Hemi -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Long Arm CoilOver - RockJock 60 Front - Tera CRD60 Rear - Hutchinsons & 37" Kevlar MT/R's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fenders & Rockers -
Bumpers - Ramsey 9500UT - WTOR Hydro Assist - Etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-30-2009, 02:27 PM
Granite Guru

I have a Savage 110 in .223 caliber. Reasonable price. Shoots nice with the Accu Trigger. Tight groupings. Haven't fired the .17 but I would expect the same from it.
post #3 of 18 Old 03-30-2009, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks! The sales guy said that you can't beat a Savage for the price. But don't know anyone that has had any experience.

He also said, 17 grain .17 cal. is supposed to be the kings sh*t for accuracy @ a distance and you don't have to worry as much about riccochet like a .22, as the bullet pretty much shatters when it hits something. (bullet looks like a mini 30-aught-6!)

Long Arm CoilOver - RockJock 60 Front - Tera CRD60 Rear - Hutchinsons & 37" Kevlar MT/R's -
Fenders & Rockers -
post #4 of 18 Old 03-30-2009, 03:15 PM
Rock God

I have a Volquartsen .17HMR. It is fun as hell to shoot! Just bought another 1000 rounds last weekend to get ready to go shooting again. It gets there real fast, but the little pills don't shoot so good when it's windy out... Mine shoots under MOA. Fun little rifle. You should like it a bunch.
post #5 of 18 Old 03-30-2009, 03:52 PM
Granite Guru

I've got a Savage 93R17 with Accutrigger. It's their entry level .17 hmr with the basic black synthetic stock and thin taper profile barrel. $199 gun. I mounted up a BSA Sweet .17 with elevation turret calibrated for 17 grain bullets. Under $300 for the entire package including a bipod. It's sweet. I shoot shotguns shells at 100 yards easily. 1" groups at 100 yards.

Badass Bumpers, Dual Battery Systems, Rockcrawler Oil Pans and More!
www.benchmarkdesigns.com
post #6 of 18 Old 03-30-2009, 09:37 PM
JKO Addict!

My buddies grow alfalfa and they use a 17 for rabbit control. They love them! I have been thinking about getting one too. They use a plastic (?) tipped bullet that is supposed to not richocet.

HUNDY
'11 VIRGIN 2 dr JK

MILITARY TIRES
Hi Tread MT 37x12.50x16.5 $150 ea!
post #7 of 18 Old 03-31-2009, 04:51 AM
Granite Guru

I'd buy the heavy barrel for a few extra bucks. Found this pic of someone's test FWIW.

post #8 of 18 Old 03-31-2009, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Cool, glad to hear guys are liking them!

I don't think they use plastic tip(at least not on the ammo I've seen), I think the way the bullet is designed it just disintegrates when it hits something, where a 22 will bounce off.

Fenders & Rockers -
post #9 of 18 Old 03-31-2009, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudinyeri View Post
I'd buy the heavy barrel for a few extra bucks. Found this pic of someone's test FWIW.

Nice!!!

Fenders & Rockers -
post #10 of 18 Old 03-31-2009, 10:22 AM
Broker by the Minute

Garage

I had a friend that brought what I assume is a 17 to a varmint hunt. he called it a grain of wheat round. Pretty much just vaporized what ever he hit. Pretty cool.
post #11 of 18 Old 04-23-2009, 10:23 PM
JEEP...its my way of life!!!

I have the savage 17 with the thumbhole stock and stainless bull barrell. we use it on ground squirels and coyotes. will drop a coyote in a heartbeat. awesome round!!
post #12 of 18 Old 04-27-2009, 04:08 PM
Wheeler

I also have the savage .17 with the bull barrel. It's worth the extra few bucks for the difference in accuracy. As far as scopes, BSA makes a sweet.17 with elevation knob for 17 grain rounds that when sighted in at 100 yards the turret is marked for other yardages. This is a bad A$$ rifle for any varmint. I shoot crows and groundhogs here in PA and at 215 yards will disintegrate a crow in the right conditions. These rounds are affected heavily by wind at longer ranges.I wouldn't recommend using it for squirrel if you plan on eating them later. They also make a 20 grain round with hollow point that tears coyotes apart. I think most all the 17 grain have ballistic tips though.
post #13 of 18 Old 05-08-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THECHAD View Post
I have the savage 17 with the thumbhole stock and stainless bull barrell. we use it on ground squirels and coyotes. will drop a coyote in a heartbeat. awesome round!!
That's the one I hope to get soon. Looks nice, and felt good too.
post #14 of 18 Old 05-09-2009, 12:56 AM
Rock God

Got a savage here also...I bought mine before the accutrigger....Wish I had waited.. I put an adjustable trigger in mine. That thing is sweet and dead accurate. Check out this site h**p://www.varmintal.com/17hmr.htm
post #15 of 18 Old 05-09-2009, 05:16 AM
Granite Guru

I have a nice little .22 Hornet...Great varmint rifle. I loved shooting turtles in our pond and watch them pop straight up...
post #16 of 18 Old 05-09-2009, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Picked mine up the other day... hopefully get some time to shoot it today!

Fenders & Rockers -
post #17 of 18 Old 05-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Rock God

Did you get the savage with accutrigger? Can't go wrong with the .17 for varmint unless you have a ton of wind....
post #18 of 18 Old 05-10-2009, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

yep, it has the accutrigger... ended up going with the plain black stock & regular stainless barrell since that's all he could get for a while. Apparently they sell really fast around here.

Hopefully the ground hogs are out today!

Fenders & Rockers -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode