Montgomery Ward / Mossberg 500 Question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 01-01-2009, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to kerryp Send a message via Skype™ to kerryp
Montgomery Ward / Mossberg 500 Question

I just obtained a free shotgun that has been sitting in my parents closet for prolly 15 or more years.... It is a Montgomery Ward M550ABD 12 gauge that is actually a rebranded Mossberg 500....

What do you guys know about this gun?

Apparently it started life as a 28' barrel that was cut off by a gun smith to what I hope is over 18" (I need to get some dowel and measure it tomorrow to be sure).

Right now I measure 17.75 measuring on the outside, so I am hoping i will get 18" out of it when I measure down the barrel to the closed breach...little too close for comfort and if there is any question, I guess i will change out the barrel to an 18.5 unless its not worth it with this gun...

Anyways, since its a freebie, the plan is to convert it into a HD tactical gun by changing out the heavy wood stocks to synthetic adjustable, heat shield, light mount, maybe a ghost sight, etc, Just depends on if this is a decent gun. I can just about guarantee there has been no more than 50 rounds put through it all the years it been around....

One thing I noticed is that the slide is not smooth and seems to snag, so I need to get into it and see if there is an adjustment or something ot smooth it out....so is the Mossberg 500 a decent enough gun to trick out a little?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-01-2009, 06:22 PM
Rock God

Don't know if it is the same Mossberg I had a few years ago. Does it have a plastic trigger guard. This gun came with multiple barrels and a pistol grip connversion. To change the barrells all you needed to do was unscrew the knurled knob at the end of the magazine tube. To change the grip there is a single allen head bolt holding the stock on. Replacements shouldn't be hard to find. I had no trouble with mine while I had it.

Last edited by Eugene; 01-01-2009 at 06:24 PM.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-01-2009, 06:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Bring it over we'll clean it up and check it out

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #4 of 7 Old 01-01-2009, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyguy View Post
Bring it over we'll clean it up and check it out
Doin anything tomorrow? If not, I'll bring it over. I was intending to buy a 18.5" breach barrel for my 870 and convert it over and then just swap barrels and stocks when I wanted to hunt, but since I came across this, I can leave my 870 as is...
post #5 of 7 Old 01-01-2009, 06:42 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryp View Post
Doin anything tomorrow? If not, I'll bring it over. I was intending to buy a 18.5" breach barrel for my 870 and convert it over and then just swap barrels and stocks when I wanted to hunt, but since I came across this, I can leave my 870 as is...
I'll be doin what I'm doin now, sitting here naked on the board

|
|
post #6 of 7 Old 01-01-2009, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

well, I'd appreciate it if you throw on some clothes, its a safety thing what the moving parts, breach, etc. you know....not to mention I don't want to see the terrible pics I am seeing in my head in person.....just hoping noone throws up the "this thread is useless without pics" thing....
post #7 of 7 Old 01-01-2009, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
Don't know if it is the same Mossberg I had a few years ago. Does it have a plastic trigger guard. This gun came with multiple barrels and a pistol grip connversion. To change the barrells all you needed to do was unscrew the knurled knob at the end of the magazine tube. To change the grip there is a single allen head bolt holding the stock on. Replacements shouldn't be hard to find. I had no trouble with mine while I had it.
yep, just looked at it and it does have a plastic trigger guard, seems kinda cheesy, but I guess it works...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode