HK USP 40 or HK p2000 9mm - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 08-25-2008, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

HK USP 40 or HK p2000 9mm

Looking at getting another handgun, and not a glock this time (love the glock by the way)

I can get a USP 40 compact for about 650. or I can get a P2000 for 465...

The only drawback to the p2000 is its a 9mm...not the ideal carry round... but a tad bit better than a .22

What would you do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 08-25-2008, 12:12 PM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to Big A

Whats the problem with the 9mm?

I carry an XD9SC and have it stuffed with 17 rounds of Federal Hydra Shok's with 147grain. I have a feeling that when the time comes to defend my life or the life of another, I will have sufficient stopping power.

Phase 1 Complete. Sold JK
Phase 2 Complete. Bought a Tow Rig
Phase 3 on-hold. Buying a trail rig. Thinking a TJ or XJ
post #3 of 35 Old 08-25-2008, 12:57 PM
JKO Addict!

2000 is a fine weapon...just don't make the mistake and go cheap on the pistol world's version of a Yugo...the chitty XD line of Croat handguns....

Attachment 2068

Dedicating the next four years to throwing the bum(s) out!

The One Constant in an Ever Declining Civilization...Me!

Putting the SWAT Back in Conservative Values

Last edited by Dustoff '68; 01-15-2009 at 01:40 PM.
post #4 of 35 Old 08-25-2008, 01:23 PM
Rock God

Hmm.... Your a self proclaimed Gun Snob Dusty!

If you want to talk trash guns, Hi Point and Jimenez... There are the yugo's of the gun industry.

post #5 of 35 Old 08-25-2008, 01:37 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big A View Post
Hmm.... Your a self proclaimed Gun Snob Dusty!

If you want to talk trash guns, Hi Point and Jimenez... There are the yugo's of the gun industry.
I admit...I am a gun snob...as for the XD, I had one...the 45...that flip up thingy on top of the slide and the red pin at the rear of the slide disappeared one day at the range after only 200+ rounds...never noticed it until I got home...not thrilled with the QC of that weapon.

post #6 of 35 Old 08-25-2008, 02:04 PM
Rock God

Not a single issue out of mine. I think your bad experience might have been due to the XD line not really meant for the .45

post #7 of 35 Old 08-25-2008, 03:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Not a single issue out of mine. I think your bad experience might have been due to the XD line not really meant for the .45

You're probably right...there were never issues when it was the HS2000 in 9mm only...like everything American, our toys have to be the size of Texas...45 acp is a bit much for that design.

post #8 of 35 Old 08-25-2008, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

not to hijack my own thread but..

Anyone here ever shot a 45-70 revolver ???

God my hand hurt after about 5 or 6 rounds!

Last edited by henthorn; 08-25-2008 at 04:55 PM.
post #9 of 35 Old 08-26-2008, 02:55 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by henthorn View Post
not to hijack my own thread but..

Anyone here ever shot a 45-70 revolver ???

God my hand hurt after about 5 or 6 rounds!
Have shot one at the range as well as the Ruger Alaskan...way too much gun(s) for the average man

post #10 of 35 Old 08-26-2008, 02:59 AM
JKO Addict!

Here's a fine carry piece...Ed Brown Kobra Carry, Commander size...

Attachment 2072

Last edited by Dustoff '68; 01-15-2009 at 01:40 PM.
post #11 of 35 Old 08-26-2008, 05:40 AM
Granite Guru

I like the USP better than the P2000, mostly because I like being able to shoot in single action. I have a P2000SK and the LEM trigger pull is smooth, but very long on the first round. It takes some getting used to.

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer - Frank Zappa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 35 Old 08-26-2008, 06:09 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Whats the problem with the 9mm?

I carry an XD9SC and have it stuffed with 17 rounds of Federal Hydra Shok's with 147grain. I have a feeling that when the time comes to defend my life or the life of another, I will have sufficient stopping power.
One thing I don't care for in the 9 is that it's too fast and tends to over-penetrate, especially at close range. Side note, an FBI study revealed that most shootings take place at a range of 7 to 10 FEET.
A 9mm will zip right on through the target, usually not expanding. What's behind the target? Innocent bystanders?
You want something fat and slow that will do the most damage, expend all the energy in the target and leave a large wound channel.

.45 ACP, when you absolutely, positively have to kill something

/jl

Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
post #13 of 35 Old 08-26-2008, 08:55 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by John L View Post
One thing I don't care for in the 9 is that it's too fast and tends to over-penetrate, especially at close range. Side note, an FBI study revealed that most shootings take place at a range of 7 to 10 FEET.
A 9mm will zip right on through the target, usually not expanding. What's behind the target? Innocent bystanders?
You want something fat and slow that will do the most damage, expend all the energy in the target and leave a large wound channel.

.45 ACP, when you absolutely, positively have to kill something
x .45

jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #14 of 35 Old 08-30-2008, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

just picked up my P2000. It was used by an HK official for 6 months and only has 100 rnds fired through it. It cost me 450$, about 400 off msrp!

Now im just trying to find Federal HST rounds... pain in the ass to find except for mail order!
post #15 of 35 Old 09-01-2008, 11:06 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdef286 View Post
lose weightweight controlweight loss all weight loss products available, purchase whatever you want wow gold
You must have a fata$$ hoe for a mother to spam this site

post #16 of 35 Old 09-07-2008, 06:37 PM
Rock God

Garage

I like both. I use to have a HK USP .40 and loved it.
post #17 of 35 Old 09-19-2008, 12:27 PM
Granite Guru

i am going to sell my glock g21 and .22 conversion for it all to get a hk usp 45. I love it. I would get the usp over the 2000 personally but I haven't shot a 2000

I love that commander dusty posted. I am a .45 guy. I don't want to be a gun snob... but I don't like the XD at all. I shot one at the gun range in Hot Springs AR. The owner of the place brought it out to me and said I should "upgrade" my glock to a XD. It didn't jam or anything. I understand hi-points don't jam either though?
post #18 of 35 Old 09-19-2008, 02:12 PM
Rock God

[QUOTE=Dustoff '68;32459]Here's a fine carry piece...Ed Brown Kobra Carry, Commander size...

Glad to know I am not the only one here that will carry a 1911, it's down to just us..uh....mature gentlemen I guess.

"i like gizzards too not that healthy choiuce shiat either reall gizzrads cooked n lard"
post #19 of 35 Old 09-19-2008, 03:05 PM
Rock God

I'm a 1911 carrier, standard length, commander, officers (my fav).
Condition one, the only way to carry!!

/jl

post #20 of 35 Old 09-19-2008, 04:17 PM
Rock God

Quote:
I'm a 1911 carrier, standard length, commander, officers (my fav).
Condition one, the only way to carry!!
That is my fav also, but I got talked into a Kimber Ultra II Tactical and I really like the size and weight. Another fan of Jeff Cooper, eh ?

"i like gizzards too not that healthy choiuce shiat either reall gizzrads cooked n lard"
post #21 of 35 Old 09-19-2008, 05:32 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
That is my fav also, but I got talked into a Kimber Ultra II Tactical and I really like the size and weight. Another fan of Jeff Cooper, eh ?
Yep, Jeff Cooper and Chuck Taylor. I had a Kimber once, I was dissapointed with the plastic mainspring housing. We later tried to Acc-u-rail it, the gun wasn't the same after that. The pistolsmith that did the Acc-u-rail is a world class builder, so I know it wasn't anything he did. Later on I had him build me a custom 1911, that was a sweet gun. I would have put it up against ANYTHING on the market.

/jl

post #22 of 35 Old 09-20-2008, 11:28 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Yep, Jeff Cooper and Chuck Taylor. I had a Kimber once, I was dissapointed with the plastic mainspring housing. We later tried to Acc-u-rail it, the gun wasn't the same after that. The pistolsmith that did the Acc-u-rail is a world class builder, so I know it wasn't anything he did. Later on I had him build me a custom 1911, that was a sweet gun. I would have put it up against ANYTHING on the market.
I have 2 , the one I mentioned and a Desert Warrior, never saw a need to do anything to improve accuracy as they both shoot great. If the mainspring housing ever breaks I'll replace it. The mag that come w/them are usually junk but I replace mine w/Wilson Combat and the problem is solved.

Last edited by Krusty; 09-21-2008 at 04:07 AM.
post #23 of 35 Old 11-29-2008, 07:47 AM
Wheeler

Send a message via Yahoo to Steel Blue X

Sooo....I guess all of the people that have been killed with the 9MM can get up now because thay have been killed with an ineffective round.

A 9MM in the chest is better than a .45 in the arm. SHOT PLACEMENT is what makes the difference, chose your ammo for the target you will be hitting, if it is waering very light clothes then use a round that will expand faster, if you are shooting targets in leather jackets then use a round that will penetrate further......Give up the notion of the one shot stop, even the .45 will need more than one round to stop an attacker that is hell bent on hurting you.

All that said I have both, I dont know how I decide on which to carry, but I like the 9 for concealed carry (both are full size M&P's). Also keep in mind that the only thing a pistol is good for is fighting you way to a rifle.

'08 2 door X, Does moving the mirrors count as a Mod??
post #24 of 35 Old 11-29-2008, 01:37 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Blue X View Post
Sooo....I guess all of the people that have been killed with the 9MM can get up now because thay have been killed with an ineffective round.
No one ever said the 9mm was ineffective.

Quote:
A 9MM in the chest is better than a .45 in the arm. SHOT PLACEMENT is what makes the difference, chose your ammo for the target you will be hitting, if it is waering very light clothes then use a round that will expand faster, if you are shooting targets in leather jackets then use a round that will penetrate further......Give up the notion of the one shot stop, even the .45 will need more than one round to stop an attacker that is hell bent on hurting you.
Agree on shot placement. As far as choosing ammo, what you suggest is trying to guess what your attacker is wearing. Bad idea. Carry, shoot and practice with what you are most comfortable with and stick with it. Don't expect a 5'3" female to be comfortable with a .45 if all she's used is 9mm. DON'T carry a different caliber if you are unfamiliar with the characteristics.
One shot stops rarely happen unless it's a well placed head shot. Two shots to the chest, bring your weapon to ready, assess the target. If you have failure to stop, head shot. Your job as the intended victim is to bring the fight to a conclusion in your favor in as little time and with as few shots fired as possible.

Quote:
All that said I have both, I dont know how I decide on which to carry, but I like the 9 for concealed carry (both are full size M&P's). Also keep in mind that the only thing a pistol is good for is fighting you way to a rifle.
If you need a rifle, then your attacker poses no immediate close range threat.
Pistols are for CQB. Using a rifle at close range is irresponsible at best, a legal nightmare at worst. Show me a state where you can legally carry and shoot someone with a rifle. Home defense is a different story, but a 12ga would be a better weapon than a rifle.

/jl

post #25 of 35 Old 11-29-2008, 05:05 PM
Granite Guru

My carry pistol was a SS Colt 45 Gold Cup (serial # 35xx) loaded with Winchester Silver Tips for most of the last 2 decades. It is my 3rd Colt 45 since the mid 70's.

Except for one magazine failure (the baseplate fell off) this is the most reliable pistol I have ever owned. I did replace the roll pin holding the rear sight on, and re-staked the front sight, but that's it. The only changes were a slightly heavier spring, and the wood grips off a blued Gold Cup.
It also had the legendary accuracy these pistols are known for.

So I'm at a loss to understand these unreliable 2k pistols in the 1911 form that are now all over the market.

Admittedly, it is now mostly retired, and I usually carry a HK P7M8(or M13) loaded with Winchester Ranger ammo, but sometimes I bring the old girl out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode