Thank God we don't live in England. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 11-12-2009, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thank God we don't live in England.

Check this story out. It is absolutely ridiculous. You get punished for doing the right thing over there...

Ex-soldier faces jail for handing in gun
Thursday, November 12, 2009, 10:30

A former soldier who handed a discarded shotgun in to police faces at least five years imprisonment for "doing his duty".

Paul Clarke, 27, was found guilty of possessing a firearm at Guildford Crown Court on Tuesday – after finding the gun and handing it personally to police officers on March 20 this year.

The jury took 20 minutes to make its conviction, and Mr Clarke now faces a minimum of five year's imprisonment for handing in the weapon.

In a statement read out in court, Mr Clarke said: "I didn't think for one moment I would be arrested.

"I thought it was my duty to hand it in and get it off the streets."

The court heard how Mr Clarke was on the balcony of his home in Nailsworth Crescent, Merstham, when he spotted a black bin liner at the bottom of his garden.

In his statement, he said: "I took it indoors and inside found a shorn-off shotgun and two cartridges.

"I didn't know what to do, so the next morning I rang the Chief Superintendent, Adrian Harper, and asked if I could pop in and see him.

"At the police station, I took the gun out of the bag and placed it on the table so it was pointing towards the wall."

Mr Clarke was then arrested immediately for possession of a firearm at Reigate police station, and taken to the cells.

Defending, Lionel Blackman told the jury Mr Clarke's garden backs onto a public green field, and his garden wall is significantly lower than his neighbours.

He also showed jurors a leaflet printed by Surrey Police explaining to citizens what they can do at a police station, which included "reporting found firearms".

Quizzing officer Garnett, who arrested Mr Clarke, he asked: "Are you aware of any notice issued by Surrey Police, or any publicity given to, telling citizens that if they find a firearm the only thing they should do is not touch it, report it by telephone, and not take it into a police station?"

To which, Mr Garnett replied: "No, I don't believe so."

Prosecuting, Brian Stalk, explained to the jury that possession of a firearm was a "strict liability" charge – therefore Mr Clarke's allegedly honest intent was irrelevant.

Just by having the gun in his possession he was guilty of the charge, and has no defence in law against it, he added.

But despite this, Mr Blackman urged members of the jury to consider how they would respond if they found a gun.

He said: "This is a very small case with a very big principle.

"You could be walking to a railway station on the way to work and find a firearm in a bin in the park.

"Is it unreasonable to take it to the police station?"

Paul Clarke will be sentenced on December 11.

Judge Christopher Critchlow said: "This is an unusual case, but in law there is no dispute that Mr Clarke has no defence to this charge.

"The intention of anybody possessing a firearm is irrelevant."

This story

08 Unlimited Steel Blue
All Sorts of Crap on it

In the space of about 30 seconds, this man was in a car accident, an explosion, lit aflame and then kicked in the balls with more force than a human foot can technically take.

Future terrorists take note: this is your retirement package.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-12-2009, 10:09 PM
Wheeler

Obamba, Reid and Pelosi get their way the USA will be just like those idiots. Keep your guns clean and ammo dry.

My jeep is green so you can't see it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"shut the f* up alright? That's the name of my new book, shut the F* up by Dr. Dennis Leary. A revolutionary new form of therapy. I'm gonna have my patients come in, 'Dr?', SHUT THE F* UP, NEXT. 'I don't feel so...', SHUT THE F* UP, NEXT. 'He made me feel so much better about myself, you know, he just told me to shut the F* up and nobody had ever told me that before, I feel so much better now!" Dennis Leary
post #3 of 12 Old 11-12-2009, 10:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to paramaniac

that is one f-d up story.

after my grandfather died, about 15yrs ago, we found an old wooden box with what turned out to be a stick of dynamite. called the PD, the bomb squad came out and took it away... no questions asked. i cant imagine what would happen to us if we were in England

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 12 Old 11-13-2009, 03:03 AM
Rock God

That’s BS and what a bunch of PUZZIES. The govment treating a soldier with such fawkedupedness. Once a soldier, always a soldier. He served you now they are serving him, a plate of BS. It’s bad enough what BS law they enforced but what even more fawked up is the JURY who hung a fellow countryman and soldier. I should row my damm boat over there a flog u sumbiches. I no have an urge to go out today and buy more ammo.

Póg mo thóin!
post #5 of 12 Old 11-13-2009, 05:03 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdjeep View Post
Obamba, Reid and Pelosi get their way the USA will be just like those idiots. Keep your guns clean and ammo dry.
x2

'08 Unlimited Sahara - Hemi -
Long Arm CoilOver - RockJock 60 Front - Tera CRD60 Rear - Hutchinsons & 37" Kevlar MT/R's -
Fenders & Rockers -
Bumpers - Ramsey 9500UT - WTOR Hydro Assist - Etc.
post #6 of 12 Old 11-13-2009, 05:24 AM
Rock God

Garage

Wow, what a fawked up society they have.. And they think we're bad!

I Freakin' Love My JEEP!! Hey, you in the Hummer..

I Love and Miss You Brodude..RIP.
post #7 of 12 Old 11-13-2009, 08:38 AM
Rock God

I am sure paragon and a few others will be writing him in jail to berate him for the unlawful gun ownership.
I find a sawed of shotty? Finders Keepers.

2009 JK Rubicon Unlimited. Rock Hard skids, Skidrow Control Arm Skids, Shrockworks bumpers. Pro Comp 2" Puck Lift.
post #8 of 12 Old 11-13-2009, 09:03 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Logic and reason have become extinct in an over sensative world of pussies!

I guess it would have been better if he tossed it back over the wall and a little kid found it and accidentally shot himself or someone else. But hey, the spirit of the law wouldn't have been broken right?

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
post #9 of 12 Old 11-13-2009, 09:16 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrahawk View Post
Logic and reason have become extinct in an over sensative world of pussies!

I guess it would have been better if he tossed it back over the wall and a little kid found it and accidentally shot himself or someone else. But hey, the spirit of the law wouldn't have been broken right?
Well I guess he would have to stand near it and call the authority After all he would have possessed it while throwing.

That is utterly ridiculous. I kept hoping for a snopes=nope response, but it seems legit. I'm still having a hard time understanding how the guy could have been convicted, much less even charged in the first place.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #10 of 12 Old 11-13-2009, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Ain't it crazy? Some d bag drops a sawed off shotgun in his yard, he turns it in, and gets 5 years! 5 years! That's retarded with a capital R. Common sense must not be a cultural value over there.
post #11 of 12 Old 11-13-2009, 04:50 PM
Granite Guru

Completely unrelated, other than its in the UK, but here's a fun read.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle4749183.ece

Sharia Law anyone?

Thean Bellocchi
Poly Performance Inc.

Sales & Tech Support
805-783-2060 Ext. 200
Makers of the JK Synergy Suspension Systems & Parts.
post #12 of 12 Old 11-13-2009, 04:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusty1007 View Post
Completely unrelated, other than its in the UK, but here's a fun read.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle4749183.ece

Sharia Law anyone?
Read the first few lines. Enough. Wont be long till its here. Hope Im wrong, but, religious freedom is guranteed in the USA.

Rest In Peace Guinness. You will never be forgotten. My brother and my best friend
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode