Recommend a gun for the little lady - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 Old 11-04-2009, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Recommend a gun for the little lady

Well, I have been having conversations with the wife for a while now about getting some guns for the house. I had already figured that I was going to get a Mossberg Persuader for home protection. She had been mildly opposed to this until last night's stunner. She tells me she was gun shopping at work and that someone recommended a Beretta. Now she seems all about getting a piece.

As my research was all based around shotguns, I am clueless on handguns. She just wants something relatively small/compact. I am guessing that she looked at the Beretta 9MM. I could be (and probably am) wrong on this. I am all for her getting one, but, no clue what to point her towards. What would you guys recommend for her? And please keep price in mind... funds are not endless, and we'd like to keep this within reason.

Jersey
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew
JK retired Wednesday, March 21st, 2012.
07 X 6spd • Clayton 3.5 • OME LT • ORE Gussets/Sleeves • RCV Shafts • JKS Discos & Track • AEV Snorkel • FLW Rear Bumper • RRF Front• PSC Sliders • RROR Skids • Poly P. Ball Joints• Wood's Shafts• Yukon Gears • Maxxis Kreepy Krawlers • Superwinch epi9• Safari Straps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 11-04-2009, 08:20 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to sniper41

Tom, the reality of it is she should see what "fits" her. Some guns can be compact and all but just don't feel right, and yet someone else it feels great. Beretta's a good gun, popular because it's a name people recognize. Glock makes a good gun too and you can find them used for an even better price. A nine would suffice if it's for "home safety" a 40 would just have more umf to it a 380 would be smaller than the nine. Some of our detectives and undercovers carry 380's cause they're easy to conceal. Also good back up piece for the same reason. It's not only the size of the round but where you put that round on your target!! The hope is you never need it. Keep in mind the obvious for her- the larger the capacity magazine, the heavier the weapon gets. That why I like glocks, they have "smaller" versions of their bigger hand guns, sort of termed "off duty" but the mags are interchangible so if wanted you could carry more rounds in the "smaller framed" hand gun or use the mag that's included. Other makers have similar things so it's what feels right to her, shop around!

Doug 08 4dr X 6 spd Det Yellow
You are a load that should have been swallowed, but someone as bitter as you are probably would have been spat out. Ahh Dancin Dan
Jersey
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew
post #3 of 53 Old 11-04-2009, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Thanks Doug. I know that a lot has to do with what feels comfortable in her tiny hands. I plan on hitting the sportsman place by my house to look around. I know that they have Glock and Sig Sauer signs out front. Both of those (as well as Beretta) are familiar names. I haven't really paid much attention to the handguns, but, now am beginning to. Almost makes me want to second guess the Mossberg, but, I am fairly convinced that the shotgun would do it. Though it'd be nice to be able to grab a handgun so that we can hit the range together, share ammo, etc. Maybe I'll grab a desert eagle...

Jersey
Crew
07 X 6spd • Clayton 3.5 • OME LT • ORE Gussets/Sleeves • RCV Shafts • JKS Discos & Track • AEV Snorkel • FLW Rear Bumper • RRF Front• PSC Sliders • RROR Skids • Poly P. Ball Joints• Wood's Shafts• Yukon Gears • Maxxis Kreepy Krawlers • Superwinch epi9• Safari Straps
post #4 of 53 Old 11-04-2009, 09:05 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to sniper41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
Thanks Doug. I know that a lot has to do with what feels comfortable in her tiny hands. I plan on hitting the sportsman place by my house to look around. I know that they have Glock and Sig Sauer signs out front. Both of those (as well as Beretta) are familiar names. I haven't really paid much attention to the handguns, but, now am beginning to. Almost makes me want to second guess the Mossberg, but, I am fairly convinced that the shotgun would do it. Though it'd be nice to be able to grab a handgun so that we can hit the range together, share ammo, etc. Maybe I'll grab a desert eagle...
That's a nice little gun, easy to conceal and all, you know like a shot gun! A Desert Eagle!!!

Doug 08 4dr X 6 spd Det Yellow
You are a load that should have been swallowed, but someone as bitter as you are probably would have been spat out. Ahh Dancin Dan
Jersey
Crew
post #5 of 53 Old 11-04-2009, 09:06 AM
Rock God

There are quite a few ranges out here that rent all types of handguns. I'd find one near you, block out an hour or two and actually go shoot some of her choices. She will learn a lot after actually firing the pistols, and that should help to narrow down what she is looking for... HTH.
post #6 of 53 Old 11-04-2009, 09:06 AM
Granite Guru

Find an indoor range where they rent hand guns. Have her try them all.
Then do the research on the guns she feels comfortable with.

Im going down a similar path with the GF currently.

Thean Bellocchi
Poly Performance Inc.

Sales & Tech Support
805-783-2060 Ext. 200
Makers of the JK Synergy Suspension Systems & Parts.
post #7 of 53 Old 11-04-2009, 09:16 AM
Rock God

My mom who is in her 60's just bought 38 special with a pink handle. She loves it and carries it in her purse. The 38 above is small, light and "fashionable" if she likes pink.

I would recommed letting her shoot several guns and let her tell you what she likes. It's kinda like shoes, she has to be comfotable holding it and using it.

Póg mo thóin!
post #8 of 53 Old 11-04-2009, 09:16 AM
Granite Guru

Shore Shot Pistol Range in Lakewood rents stuff & it's not really too expensive. Also, don't rule out a small revolver, like a .38 with a short barrel. They are very easy to operate & are small & pretty light compared to a semi-auto... Me? I like my Glock 23 for home, for my GF, her dad (retired LEO) and I are going to take her out & see what she is comfortable with... That's probably the best approach...

Boomer (aka Chris)
'07 X 2Dr, Steel Blue Metallic

2.5" BB, Black wheels & 33's...
post #9 of 53 Old 11-04-2009, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Thanks guys. I'll get her to a range to try a few out. I was just trying to get a few ideas to narrow the search.

As for myself, I am starting to lean away from the shotgun and look at a handgun for the house. It'd be easier to maneuver with, that's for sure. A Glock 23, eh? I will have to take a look at that myself.

Jersey
Crew
post #10 of 53 Old 11-04-2009, 09:37 AM
JKO Addict!

You're welcome to try mine. A Glock 9mm and I have a .357 revolver. Revolver might be nice for a beginner, no jams or other nonsense. No boom, pull the trigger again an auto is a little more involved.

Nat likes the Glock hates the .357 however you might do well to invest in a
.22 for cheap ammo and learning how to shoot properly.

HEY, maybe we shoot have a East Coast JKO shooting day!
post #11 of 53 Old 11-04-2009, 09:38 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Thanks guys. I'll get her to a range to try a few out. I was just trying to get a few ideas to narrow the search.

As for myself, I am starting to lean away from the shotgun and look at a handgun for the house. It'd be easier to maneuver with, that's for sure. A Glock 23, eh? I will have to take a look at that myself.
maneuver with? where you going if you know someone is in the house? you really want to go look for them? lol...I think the purpose of the shotgun is to get them the hell out of there ASAP and you dont need to leave the room to do that. no way a handgun is going to scare them away without them seeing it. I'd rather be shooting back at them with a shotgun if it came down to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #12 of 53 Old 11-04-2009, 09:39 AM
Rock God

Get her a derringer.

2009 JK Rubicon Unlimited. Rock Hard skids, Skidrow Control Arm Skids, Shrockworks bumpers. Pro Comp 2" Puck Lift.
post #13 of 53 Old 11-04-2009, 09:40 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerNJ View Post
Shore Shot Pistol Range in Lakewood rents stuff & it's not really too expensive. Also, don't rule out a small revolver, like a .38 with a short barrel. They are very easy to operate & are small & pretty light compared to a semi-auto... Me? I like my Glock 23 for home, for my GF, her dad (retired LEO) and I are going to take her out & see what she is comfortable with... That's probably the best approach...
Yup, been there too. Nice with a nice selection but personally I don't like indoor ranges.
post #14 of 53 Old 11-04-2009, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Tim, first responders are the dogs. They move much faster than I do. I would let them find them. Thing is, my house is from the 50's, and split-level. Stairs and rounding corners to get to the front door, more corners and stairs to get to the back door. The dogs will sniff 'em out before I get a chance to see 'em. They identify the problem, I just want to be able to follow up on them easily.

Like I said, I planned on the shotgun originally, but, figured if the wife wants a handgun, I may as well get one as well so we can at least share the same fun (ranges, not chasing intruders).

EDIT --> Derringer... hahaha... she'd get one just because it's cute.

Jaws - I may take you up on that offer.

Jersey
Crew

Last edited by Mr. T; 11-04-2009 at 09:46 AM.
post #15 of 53 Old 11-04-2009, 11:08 AM
Granite Guru

My wife is 120 and absolutely loves her glock 26 with pinky extension. She shoots if very well even though she is cross eye dominant.
post #16 of 53 Old 11-04-2009, 11:10 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

we just got my wife the springfield xd9m and she really likes it. we were going to get the glock 23 but she felt more comfortable with the palm safety instead of only having the finger safety on the glock, i shot it and like it as well. not bad for all thats included, one standard capacity mag and one high capacity mag, a speed loader and a holster (it sucks)and a keyed cable lock. they have some neat sales videos on their site.

i also watched a special on tv about the new taurus judge i believe was the name but it was really neat as well you can shoot .410 shells to help improve your hit ratio...

and i have a remington 850 defender next to the bed.
post #17 of 53 Old 11-04-2009, 01:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Unless she's really into guns start here with a wheel gun; something hammerless and titanium. It will be light and easy to use, no complicated motion. If she has to carry it in her purse she can fire it through the purse without a jamb.

My wife carries a Beretta Tomcat .32 auto. It functions, shoots well, and it's easy to load. She only gained two shots over her Taurus 38spl and lost some power, but it is a little smaller and hides better.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #18 of 53 Old 11-04-2009, 02:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to benmar2000

My wife got interested in shooting about 6months ago.. She shot all of my 40cals and hated them (Too powerful for her to handle) and a 9mm.. 22's.. Etc.. She loved my 22 pistol.. But it is bulky.. It is designed for shooting competition and not CC.. Then she shot my buddies Bersa Thunder 380.. It was like love at first sight.. She can fire it.. Pretty accurately and can handle it.. Guess what I am getting her for Christmas..

Vote - Bacon for 2012!!!
Power to the People!!! Time for a Revolution!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
roll, roll, roll your joint, twist is at the end, light it up and take a puff now pass it to a friend.
post #19 of 53 Old 11-04-2009, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

I'll have a look into that Bersa. I've been reading a lot this afternoon, and have seen that come up a few times in similar conversations. At first I was thinking about the "baby glock".

As stated above, I was going to go the shotgun route for myself, but, since she decided she wanted a pistol, I am considering one myself. I was think .40 for myself, but, then figured that 9mm would be the way to go, with the idea that it was a happy medium. if we both ended up with 9's, we could share rounds, and everything I have been reading showed that .40 rounds were pricier... am I far off? a 19 for me and a 26 for her?

Jersey
Crew
post #20 of 53 Old 11-04-2009, 02:39 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmar2000 View Post
My wife got interested in shooting about 6months ago.. She shot all of my 40cals and hated them (Too powerful for her to handle) and a 9mm.. 22's.. Etc.. She loved my 22 pistol.. But it is bulky.. It is designed for shooting competition and not CC.. Then she shot my buddies Bersa Thunder 380.. It was like love at first sight.. She can fire it.. Pretty accurately and can handle it.. Guess what I am getting her for Christmas..
X2 on the Bersa. I'm very picky have tried out many before I bought. I ended up with the smaller Bersa CC380 for concealed carry. It isn't too heavy but feels substantial in my hand, very accurate and small enough to fit in my purse and when loaded with the right ammo will do the damage that needs done. I also have a sig 9mm but it's just too big to carry in my purse but very easy to shoot and acurate also. Tod carries a keltec 380 and I hate that thing, can't hit the side of a barn with it and the action rips my skin every time. You give up comfort for size on it.

It's my money, I earned it & I'll choose who I support. It sure the hell ain't lazy people who won't work!
post #21 of 53 Old 11-04-2009, 02:41 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
I'll have a look into that Bersa. I've been reading a lot this afternoon, and have seen that come up a few times in similar conversations. At first I was thinking about the "baby glock".

As stated above, I was going to go the shotgun route for myself, but, since she decided she wanted a pistol, I am considering one myself. I was think .40 for myself, but, then figured that 9mm would be the way to go, with the idea that it was a happy medium. if we both ended up with 9's, we could share rounds, and everything I have been reading showed that .40 rounds were pricier... am I far off? a 19 for me and a 26 for her?

Remember with 9's they can go thru and hit whoever is behind the target. Tod keeps a 45 for home defense besides the other 3 handguns we have.

It's my money, I earned it & I'll choose who I support. It sure the hell ain't lazy people who won't work!
post #22 of 53 Old 11-04-2009, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

also keep in mind that I am in NJ. the odds of me (or her) being able to get a CCL is slim to none. the only people that get those are current or ex-LEO's. I don't believe that she can legally carry this in her purse, even with the permits and such out here. it'd be pretty much a home protection/range gun.

thanks for the info justginger...

Jersey
Crew
post #23 of 53 Old 11-04-2009, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by justginger View Post
Remember with 9's they can go thru and hit whoever is behind the target. Tod keeps a 45 for home defense besides the other 3 handguns we have.
i know that i still have my homework to do, but, don't hollow points or something similar have a fragmenting feature to prevent this. (sorry if that is wrong terminology... never owned one before)

Jersey
Crew
post #24 of 53 Old 11-04-2009, 02:56 PM
Granite Guru

Have her try on a Ruger 101
post #25 of 53 Old 11-04-2009, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksjeep View Post
Have her try on a Ruger 101
I would, but, she's not a fan of revolvers. she was pretty set on something with a clip. thanks though...

Jersey
Crew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode