Firearms on Airlines!? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 11-03-2009, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Firearms on Airlines!?

I want to take my .45 ACP on a commercial airline flight from WY to Tx. I've read the TSA site on the rules. I still need to contact the airline later today about doing this. Has anybody done this and if so have you encountered any problems or issues that might be good for me to know about?

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1666.shtm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 11-03-2009, 08:53 AM
Rock God

Very easy.

Each airline has rules posted on their website. I printed them out (only one page for Continental) and carried them with me.

For Continental I had to have the firearm in hard sided luggage or in a hard side protective container of it's own (rifles obviously travel in their own case). For pistols, I usually just put a hard sided container in my luggage. The hard sided container had to have it's own lock and you have to open it for inspection by the airline personnel as well as TSA. YOU THEN LOCK IT AND KEEP THE KEY. DO NOT LEAVE IT UNLOCKED.

About 50% of the time I have airline personnel at the ticket counter that don't know their own rules. PRINT THEM OUT! This saved me the hassle of arguing that my container stays locked and I keep the key.
post #3 of 32 Old 11-03-2009, 08:54 AM
Rock God

Oh, make sure you follow the rules for ammo. I usually buy it whenever I go so I don't have to worry about the hassle but I believe that you cannot have ammo in the clip/magazine.
post #4 of 32 Old 11-03-2009, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Good idea on carrying the rules with me, thanks. I assume when I get to my destination and am carrying my baggage with me to the rental car, that is considered concealed carry, right?
post #5 of 32 Old 11-03-2009, 09:18 AM
Rock God

I would assume yes.

Check to see if you have reciprocity with the CHL to/from your State and states of travel.

To be safe, I'd just keep it in the trunk. Old Johnny Law can't complain about that.
post #6 of 32 Old 11-03-2009, 09:27 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigtman View Post
Very easy.

Each airline has rules posted on their website. I printed them out (only one page for Continental) and carried them with me.

For Continental I had to have the firearm in hard sided luggage or in a hard side protective container of it's own (rifles obviously travel in their own case). For pistols, I usually just put a hard sided container in my luggage. The hard sided container had to have it's own lock and you have to open it for inspection by the airline personnel as well as TSA. YOU THEN LOCK IT AND KEEP THE KEY. DO NOT LEAVE IT UNLOCKED.

About 50% of the time I have airline personnel at the ticket counter that don't know their own rules. PRINT THEM OUT! This saved me the hassle of arguing that my container stays locked and I keep the key.
That is exactly what I did and no problems. I did however take ammunition. I simply secured it in a seperate locked container. They put a big red tag on your bag that lets everybody and their brother who handles you bag know its contains a firearm. The last time I traveled with mine was to New Orleans a few years ago so I would make sure to check the airlines web site and print out rules and maybe call if it does not address the ammunition issue.

Póg mo thóin!
post #7 of 32 Old 11-03-2009, 09:30 AM
Rock God

Just so it's clear,

Not only should you lock the container but also LOCK YOUR LUGGAGE. They hand carry these bags through the process but many firearms "get lost" in transit. TSA recommends that you lock the exterior of your luggage with your own lock.

I went back and reread my post and I know i emphasized locking the container but also lock the exterior of the luggage too.
post #8 of 32 Old 11-03-2009, 09:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Just some more input:

If you are delayed and have to change flights make sure you tell someone at the gate what is happening. No one knows what you are doing once you leave on the first plane. They're not supposed to but they can get you and your firearm seperated. If you let the Gate agent know they can notify the people to make sure your Firearm stays with you. Be proactive don't expect the airline to know what they are doing.

I work for one now and I don't know what I'm doing, but it pays the bills.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #9 of 32 Old 11-03-2009, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Good advice. I wonder what the odds are of the entire luggage piece coming up 'missing'.
post #10 of 32 Old 11-03-2009, 09:48 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickdude View Post
Good advice. I wonder what the odds are of the entire luggage piece coming up 'missing'.
Better then average. Every agency involved with the airlines keeps track of lost luggage statistics. You can google and find out which one is the worst at loosing bags this month. My airline is putting out an effort to surface our ratings, we specialize at loosing bags. I will say, it will get back to you it may get more frequent flyer miles then you.

Quote:

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #11 of 32 Old 11-03-2009, 09:56 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickdude View Post
Good idea on carrying the rules with me, thanks. I assume when I get to my destination and am carrying my baggage with me to the rental car, that is considered concealed carry, right?
Nope, not if it's unloaded and in a locked case.
post #12 of 32 Old 11-03-2009, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Labeling luggage containing firearms

I just found this posted on another forum concerning labeling.

18 USC Section 922 e

Quote:
(e) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped; except that any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of the trip without violating any of the provisions of this chapter. No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm.
post #13 of 32 Old 11-03-2009, 10:17 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post
Nope, not if it's unloaded and in a locked case.
And ammo stored separate from the firearm.
post #14 of 32 Old 11-03-2009, 10:31 AM
Rock God

Garage

Yeah, what they ^^^ said. I've traveled a couple times with firearms and it's much easier than you might think. I didn't have any trouble but I would do as thebigtman says and carry the rules with you when you go! Great bit of advice IMO. You might also want to look into getting a stouter box if you have one of those cheapie Walmart specials like I used to have (just to deter anyone prying up a side and peeking in). I personally prefer Hardigg or Pelican but they can get pretty pricey so look around.

Hotrodtinker JERSEY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CREW
'08 Unlimited Rubicon (Rescue Green)
Lifted and running (for the moment)...
Planned Mods:
- Engine swap and 1-ton axles!!!
post #15 of 32 Old 11-03-2009, 10:42 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

It was a hellava lot easier pre-9/11. I never even used to tell them. Just lock the bag up and go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Goodyear MTR Kevlar 35's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
2011 Grand Cherokee Overland, HEMI

- SOLD
post #16 of 32 Old 11-03-2009, 11:07 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigtman View Post
Just so it's clear,

Not only should you lock the container but also LOCK YOUR LUGGAGE. They hand carry these bags through the process but many firearms "get lost" in transit. TSA recommends that you lock the exterior of your luggage with your own lock.

I went back and reread my post and I know i emphasized locking the container but also lock the exterior of the luggage too.
I thought it was against TSA rules to lock your luggage now? I remember them changing it after 9/11, did they change it again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #17 of 32 Old 11-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Rock God

You can lock it...just takes a few extra minutes for you to wait while they scan it and such.

See http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1666.shtm
post #18 of 32 Old 11-03-2009, 11:56 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Most of the time it's not an issue, but if you lock it and TSA want's in it they will break the luggage. Even if you disclosed and they inspected it before it left. I've never seen it but I have heard of it happening.

Quote:

post #19 of 32 Old 11-03-2009, 05:37 PM
Rock God

Garage

There are TSA approved locks that they can open without having to break the bag.
post #20 of 32 Old 11-03-2009, 08:16 PM
Granite Guru

i would just drop it in my wifes carry on. and when you get to texas dont worryabout the rules, we all carry guns down here. lol.

Tony Lopes
2008 Black Rubicon Unlimited
4" superlift, 35/14.50/17 Pitbull Rockers on 17x9 black soft 8's, Riddler rear diff. cover, Superior chromoly axles rear
texasjeepowners.com
tx4wd.org
post #21 of 32 Old 11-04-2009, 10:05 AM
Rock God

I had a client in Alaska pre 9-11.
Those flights on Alaska Air were something.
Rifles in cases in the carryon bins, Husky pups either in carriers under the seat or just on a leash under the seat.
Great people too!
Those were some fun times. Thanks for this tread to revive the memories.

2009 JK Rubicon Unlimited. Rock Hard skids, Skidrow Control Arm Skids, Shrockworks bumpers. Pro Comp 2" Puck Lift.
post #22 of 32 Old 11-04-2009, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by txlopes View Post
i would just drop it in my wifes carry on. and when you get to texas dont worryabout the rules, we all carry guns down here. lol.
I'm going with my boss, not my wife (the other boss), but what the heck, I'll drop it in his bag, after all he is the boss. I figured you all carryed guns there, that why I'm bringing one. LOL. But now I'm afraid to bring my good .45 so I'm going to the pawn shop today and pick up one I wouldn't mind donating to some airline employee.
post #23 of 32 Old 11-04-2009, 11:19 AM
Granite Guru

I have traveled twice with a rifle. Both times it was very easy, but the gun case looked like it did a few rounds with the Samsonite gorillas...

2012 JKUR Bright White
EVO Enforcer 4" w King 2.0's
37" Toyo Open Country MT's
post #24 of 32 Old 11-04-2009, 11:37 AM
JKO Addict!

Learned something new from this thread
post #25 of 32 Old 11-06-2009, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Well, the pawn shop didn't have any great deals so I picked up a new Hi-Point C9 for $150. Ran about 50 rounds through it and it worked OK. I've got it packed in it's own hard case, separate from the ammo and extra clips (in their own hard case), copies of TSA rules as well as the airlines rules on transporting firearms and ammo. Both cases are locked; trigger lock on the 9; guess I'll see what happens. Based on what I've read and the feedback from this forum, I think things will go well. Texas here I come. Going to Jewett, anybody ever head of it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode