How do you lock your pistol/weapon in your Jeep? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 10-11-2009, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

How do you lock your pistol/weapon in your Jeep?

I carry and am concerned about keeping my weapon in my Jeep. My work does not allow weapons on the grounds so I would have to park on the street. Now it is North Idaho and not Detroit but still would like to keep it safe as possible.

How does the membership on here lock their pistols etc. in their Jeep?

I am looking at the Tuffy console but sheesh they are expensive. I am worried that the Tuffy glovebox doesn't have enough room since I may have two pistols at any time.

I am a girl and I have a Jeep with some stuff on it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-11-2009, 08:27 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

tuffy replacement console here

$500 for the console vs $500-$1000 for my piece plus what could happen if its stolen, not a bad value to me

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #3 of 17 Old 10-11-2009, 08:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

X2 on the Tuffy... I also tuck my Sirius receiver and the radio face plate along with anything else of value. Everything else stays unlocked and I sometimes leave the glove box open and windows down when parked at the grocery store/mall etc.....

It is a habit now... just takes about 30 seconds to get everything in/out.

Another bonus is that the arm rest is taller and more comfy than the stock one.

Last edited by Mr.RonGilbert; 10-11-2009 at 08:36 PM.
post #4 of 17 Old 10-11-2009, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
tuffy replacement console here

$500 for the console vs $500-$1000 for my piece plus what could happen if its stolen, not a bad value to me
You are absolutely right and I am not carrying now to work because I really don't want to leave it in the Jeep. Thanks Ron for the pics because the ones on the web are so small I really can't see the size. I have an X with the mini console so there is no box at all. Do you trust the box if you have top off or no doors and can't carry your weapon with you? Are they well built?

post #5 of 17 Old 10-12-2009, 03:10 AM
Granite Guru

I have the Tuffy as well, yes I trust it and I believe it's worth every penny!

Mikey

08 4 door Rubicon, RE 4.5" Long arm lift, Hutchinson Rock Monster Wheels and 37" M16's, Banks exhaust, AFE, Hypertech, Superior 5:13 gears, JE Reel 1350 drivshafts, Fabfour bumpers and rock slider, Tuffy, interior Line-Xed, Warn, Poly Performance, IPF, Lightforce, Hella fogs.
post #6 of 17 Old 10-13-2009, 09:30 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RonGilbert View Post
X2 on the Tuffy... I also tuck my Sirius receiver and the radio face plate along with anything else of value. Everything else stays unlocked and I sometimes leave the glove box open and windows down when parked at the grocery store/mall etc.....

It is a habit now... just takes about 30 seconds to get everything in/out.

Another bonus is that the arm rest is taller and more comfy than the stock one.

Off topic but what kind of 1911 is that?is it your duty weapon(i see your badge)?
post #7 of 17 Old 10-16-2009, 05:39 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Renzo Fighter

did you have to change the whole console?

Click on this and fight!!
post #8 of 17 Old 10-16-2009, 05:46 PM
JKO Addict!

I have the small tuffy insert and am very happy w/ it. I trust it enough to leave a gun in it; however, I dont leave it unattended for long.

Rest In Peace Guinness. You will never be forgotten. My brother and my best friend
post #9 of 17 Old 10-16-2009, 05:49 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I went with the whole replacement console from PhilD at trailduty

my concern with the inserts is that the rest of the console is plastic, I know if I were a thief, I'd see that and think someone had something of value and bust the plastic to tear out the whole insert

the full replacement is all steel and bolts to the floor

Quote:
post #10 of 17 Old 10-16-2009, 05:53 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to sniper41

[QUOTE=Mr.RonGilbert;234373]X2 on the Tuffy... I also tuck my Sirius receiver and the radio face plate along with anything else of value. Everything else stays unlocked and I sometimes leave the glove box open and windows down when parked at the grocery store/mall etc.....

Woah, wait, did you say MALL?

just kidding, I couldn't let that go by Ron and yes I go there too from time to infrequent time!!

However Redwood, our policy is that if we can't "lock" our weapon up in our personal vehicle we "cuff it" to a location that would not be seen, like under the seat, to a solid anchor. I don't know if you can get cuffs, or possible have em- I wont go any further with that haha- but it's a cheeper and "secure" alternative and easy to lock 2 weapons with! If that helps?

Oh and sorry again Ron, I had to do it!!

Doug 08 4dr X 6 spd Det Yellow
You are a load that should have been swallowed, but someone as bitter as you are probably would have been spat out. Ahh Dancin Dan
Jersey
Crew
post #11 of 17 Old 10-16-2009, 05:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:

my concern with the inserts is that the rest of the console is plastic, I know if I were a thief, I'd see that and think someone had something of value and bust the plastic to tear out the whole insert

the full replacement is all steel and bolts to the floor
The insert bolts to the floor as well. I didnt do it. The full console wasnt avail when I bought the insert. That is why I wont leave it alone for long.

Rest In Peace Guinness. You will never be forgotten. My brother and my best friend
post #12 of 17 Old 10-16-2009, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks everyone and it looks like my B-day present next year is a Tuffy console! Are they a pita to install?

post #13 of 17 Old 10-16-2009, 09:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

theres an install write up on here somewhere
its not that hard, tkbo1060 did a write up on the hardest part -removing the stock console
doing it the way tuffy says = PITA and an hour or more
his way is 5 minutes
4dr Linex prep

Quote:
post #14 of 17 Old 10-16-2009, 10:42 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Sorry for the late response, been busy for the past few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Do you trust the box if you have top off or no doors and can't carry your weapon with you? Are they well built?
I trust it but the weapon usually goes with me. I do leave it from time to time and don't worry at all. I also have an alarm with the proximity function so if you get close to the console it will warn away and then alarm.. and it pages me. I have been looking forward to catching some terd trying to steal my stuff... no luck yet. I will get some pics if I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared89 View Post
Off topic but what kind of 1911 is that?is it your duty weapon(i see your badge)?
Colt 1911 Defender model it is a back-up (small frame).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzo Fighter View Post
did you have to change the whole console?
Yessir... chunk the stock POS and don't look back.

Quote:
Same here - Phil takes good care of his customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper41 View Post
Woah, wait, did you say MALL?

just kidding, I couldn't let that go by Ron and yes I go there too from time to infrequent time!!
As painful as it is.. yes I do have to go to that godforsaken place once in a while - our little corner of the world - where the "mall" is located is in the top 10 in the nation for stolen cars so I don't go unless there is no other option.

Quote:
doing it the way tuffy says = PITA and an hour or more [/url]
I agree... it was a pain in the azz!!! just give yourself some time. I did mine the night before a wheeling run and it was a bad idea... dont get in a rush.

whew... thank goodness I can use backspace again!
post #15 of 17 Old 10-16-2009, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thank you for taking so much time to answer Ron. The biggest reason I would need it is I cannot take my weapon into my work. Gov't building and no weapons allowed on property. I would have to park the Jeep on the street.

post #16 of 17 Old 10-16-2009, 11:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Thank you for taking so much time to answer Ron. The biggest reason I would need it is I cannot take my weapon into my work. Gov't building and no weapons allowed on property. I would have to park the Jeep on the street.
Not only does the console protect your stuff it also has a nice arm rest - much nicer than the stock one and it is higher too, I had to lean down to rest my arm and it sucked now it is just right. You can put a radio, CB or just have more space in there if you don't want a radio or CB. Lots of room and there is a power plug in too.
post #17 of 17 Old 10-17-2009, 11:53 AM
Fistfull of Boomstick

pull that pannel under the steering wheel in front of your knees. It should give you ideas, I know it did for me

Doc-14 Tactical Products:
When it absolutely, positively needs to be made from random crap found in the back of my garage.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode