Rattling noise when i start my jeep - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 10-04-2012, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
jknewgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Georgia
Age: 22
Posts: 41
Feedback: 0 reviews
Rattling noise when i start my jeep

Hey guys so every time I start my jeep i hear this rattling noise. It only does it for a few seconds and then it goes away but I was wondering if this is normal or not? If not what could it be?
jknewgirl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 27 Old 10-04-2012, 07:25 PM
JKO Addict!
 
Goodysgotacuda's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Denton, TX
Posts: 13,230
Feedback: 1 reviews

Does it tick for a couple of seconds? Like the engine valve lifters are dry and pumping up?

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Goodysgotacuda is offline  
post #3 of 27 Old 10-04-2012, 07:35 PM
Granite Guru
 
Illtrythat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Age: 46
Posts: 172
Feedback: 0 reviews

I Have a 07 rubicon in my garage right now that had this problem. We are correcting it by installing a LS3 motor. I'll keep ya posted if it works.
Illtrythat is offline  
post #4 of 27 Old 10-04-2012, 07:43 PM
Certified Bullshit Spotter
 
JKCTAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: AZ
Age: 41
Posts: 8,891
Feedback: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Does it tick for a couple of seconds? Like the engine valve lifters are dry and pumping up?
Not to be gender biased, or ageist, but I would surprised if that wasn't Greek to her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
JKCTAZ is offline  
post #5 of 27 Old 10-04-2012, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
jknewgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Georgia
Age: 22
Posts: 41
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
Not to be gender biased, or ageist, but I would surprised if that wasn't Greek to her.
sadly your right lol. but i'm trying to learn as much as i can ever since i got my jeep. So I would love an explanation
jknewgirl is offline  
post #6 of 27 Old 10-04-2012, 08:19 PM
Certified Bullshit Spotter
 
JKCTAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: AZ
Age: 41
Posts: 8,891
Feedback: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknewgirl View Post
sadly your right lol. but i'm trying to learn as much as i can ever since i got my jeep. So I would love an explanation
When you stop your Jeep, all of the oil in the motor collects in a pan that has a tube and screen near the bottom attached to a pump. When you start your Jeep that pump draws oil from the pan into that screen/tube and sends it to the top of the motor where it lubricates vital engine components, such as lifters and the valve train. If the motor sits for a while, those items go "dry" and make noise when the motor starts to function right before the oil pump primes and lubricates the motor. What exacerbates this issue is cheapo oil filters with no drain back check valve which keeps the oil from completely draining back to the oil pan.

Hope this helps. Usually the noise sounds like ticking or a coffee can with plastic marbles in it at times...

Make sure you check your oil level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
JKCTAZ is offline  
post #7 of 27 Old 10-04-2012, 09:09 PM
Rock God
 
snksknr94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 35
Posts: 549
Feedback: 1 reviews

Could also be a cracked exhaust manifold.

Aaron
2008 JK Unlimited Rubicon
snksknr94 is offline  
post #8 of 27 Old 10-04-2012, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
jknewgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Georgia
Age: 22
Posts: 41
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
When you stop your Jeep, all of the oil in the motor collects in a pan that has a tube and screen near the bottom attached to a pump. When you start your Jeep that pump draws oil from the pan into that screen/tube and sends it to the top of the motor where it lubricates vital engine components, such as lifters and the valve train. If the motor sits for a while, those items go "dry" and make noise when the motor starts to function right before the oil pump primes and lubricates the motor. What exacerbates this issue is cheapo oil filters with no drain back check valve which keeps the oil from completely draining back to the oil pan.

Hope this helps. Usually the noise sounds like ticking or a coffee can with plastic marbles in it at times...

Make sure you check your oil level.
Thanks how do i know if this is the problem?
jknewgirl is offline  
post #9 of 27 Old 10-04-2012, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
jknewgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Georgia
Age: 22
Posts: 41
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by snksknr94 View Post
Could also be a cracked exhaust manifold.
is there a way to know if this is my issue?
jknewgirl is offline  
post #10 of 27 Old 10-04-2012, 09:18 PM
Rock God
 
snksknr94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 35
Posts: 549
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknewgirl View Post
is there a way to know if this is my issue?
Your best bet would be to try and record the noise and post up the clip.

Aaron
2008 JK Unlimited Rubicon
snksknr94 is offline  
post #11 of 27 Old 10-04-2012, 09:23 PM
Rock God
 
bthomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: justin tx
Posts: 586
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknewgirl View Post
Thanks how do i know if this is the problem?
not really a "problem" per say, its just an explanation on the source of what i would call the sound of tapping a quarter on a wood table. different oil filters can help somewhat, but ime never completely cure it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknewgirl View Post
is there a way to know if this is my issue?
a cracked manifold would most likely do it constantly and get louder as the engine rpms go higher.

08 2dr steel blue, toyo 37's, method beadlocks, rock krawler 2.5" max travel, extended wheelbase, poly cage, 5.13's, arb's, diy hydro assist, prorock44, reid's, rcv's
bthomas is offline  
post #12 of 27 Old 10-04-2012, 10:04 PM
JKO Addict!
 
BenFoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 3,113
Garage
Feedback: 3 reviews

Is your AC on when you start up?
BenFoo is offline  
post #13 of 27 Old 10-05-2012, 03:26 AM
Rock God
 
mschaffer66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: West Bloomfield, MI
Age: 36
Posts: 1,621
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by snksknr94 View Post
Could also be a cracked exhaust manifold.
That was my issue.

Pull off the heat shield and inspect the manifolds or run some seafoam through it and look for where the smoke comes from.

2007 Sahara Unlimited - Dana 60/14 Bolt - 5.38's with ARBs - 40x13.50x17 Goodyear MTRs - 3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor Plus - Rubi Rock Rails - XRC 10,000lb Winch
mschaffer66 is online now  
post #14 of 27 Old 10-06-2012, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
jknewgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Georgia
Age: 22
Posts: 41
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenFoo View Post
Is your AC on when you start up?
nope lol AC is never on
Thanks everyone i'm determined to figure it out tomorrow
jknewgirl is offline  
post #15 of 27 Old 10-06-2012, 08:12 PM
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Baton Rouge, La
Age: 29
Posts: 128
Feedback: 0 reviews

I have a work vehicle, so sometimes the jeep goes 3-4 days without being driven. It does the same thing. Ive always wondered what it was, but since it went away after a second or two i never really worried much about it.
Is it something that could potentially damage the vehicle in the long run?
Alpinehyperlite is offline  
post #16 of 27 Old 10-07-2012, 05:46 AM
Rock God
 
Chipewa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Farmington Hills MI
Posts: 1,141
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknewgirl View Post
Hey guys so every time I start my jeep i hear this rattling noise. It only does it for a few seconds and then it goes away but I was wondering if this is normal or not? If not what could it be?
Without reading the entire thread:

Tin-like rattle: Heat shield.
Clatter-like rattle: Surpentine belt tensioner.

LS3 2007 JKU X - Red Rock, 2012 JKU Rubicon - Deep Cherry Red, 2001 TJ - Black
Chipewa is offline  
post #17 of 27 Old 10-08-2012, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
jknewgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Georgia
Age: 22
Posts: 41
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinehyperlite View Post
I have a work vehicle, so sometimes the jeep goes 3-4 days without being driven. It does the same thing. Ive always wondered what it was, but since it went away after a second or two i never really worried much about it.
Is it something that could potentially damage the vehicle in the long run?
this is what I am worried about
jknewgirl is offline  
post #18 of 27 Old 10-08-2012, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
jknewgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Georgia
Age: 22
Posts: 41
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipewa View Post
Without reading the entire thread:

Tin-like rattle: Heat shield.
Clatter-like rattle: Surpentine belt tensioner.
Its definitely a tin-like rattle
jknewgirl is offline  
post #19 of 27 Old 10-08-2012, 03:41 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Locked in a basement
Posts: 16,551
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknewgirl View Post
Its definitely a tin-like rattle
Take a look at the heat shield under the Jeep and see if anything is touching the exhaust pipe. Could be something as simple as this. I had a rattle that drove me nuts for awhile and it turned out to be a piece of the heat shield touching the exhaust pipe.
Dancin Dan is offline  
post #20 of 27 Old 10-08-2012, 10:51 PM
Wheeler
 
red_man22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Lewiston, Id
Posts: 91
Feedback: 0 reviews

I have something very simular on my 2011 with the 3.8L and it is the lifters starving for oil. The 2nd post hit it on the head. There is no fix for this and mopar dose not claim it to be a problem and says it will never hurt the engine. Me being a tech I argued this point for a customer but was at the loosing end of the battle.

Any time there is something that is starved for oil there is excesive clearance that is normally not there when the oil is present. The click you hear is metal on metal. I argued that anything metal on metal rubbing together will cause excessive wear. it may be minimal but it can possibly grow into a larger problem. But as I said I have tryed to argue the point befor and it got nowhere. There are a lot of 3.8L with a lot of miles on them that this has not caused a problem yet but there are a lot of guys that get paid a lot more then I do to figure those things out.

Build it! Run it! Break it! Repeat!
red_man22 is offline  
post #21 of 27 Old 10-09-2012, 05:25 AM
Rock God
 
Chipewa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Farmington Hills MI
Posts: 1,141
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknewgirl View Post
Its definitely a tin-like rattle
Check the heat shield that is attached to the crossover pipe under the front passenger seat for a broken spot weld.

LS3 2007 JKU X - Red Rock, 2012 JKU Rubicon - Deep Cherry Red, 2001 TJ - Black
Chipewa is offline  
post #22 of 27 Old 10-09-2012, 08:34 AM
TrailDuty.com
 
PhilD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,205
Feedback: 5 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthomas View Post
not really a "problem" per say, its just an explanation on the source of what i would call the sound of tapping a quarter on a wood table. different oil filters can help somewhat, but ime never completely cure it.
X2 I found that Mobil 1, Pure One, and several "high end" filters drained back resulting in low oil pressure when you start the vehicle. I used a Fram XG3600 Extended Guard filter and it does drain back at all and is bigger than the factory filter



Quote:
a cracked manifold would most likely do it constantly and get louder as the engine rpms go higher.
True, but there is also an issue if the connector from manifold to exhaust pipe that can result in exhaust gas escaping until it warms up and seals.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PhilD is offline  
post #23 of 27 Old 10-09-2012, 08:35 AM
TrailDuty.com
 
PhilD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,205
Feedback: 5 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipewa View Post
Check the heat shield that is attached to the crossover pipe under the front passenger seat for a broken spot weld.
Definitely a rattle problem spot. Easily fixed with a cable clamp or two around the heat shield.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PhilD is offline  
post #24 of 27 Old 10-09-2012, 09:12 AM
JKO Addict!
 
gold knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Dawsonville, Ga
Age: 50
Posts: 11,069
Garage
Feedback: 3 reviews

Where in Ga are you? If you're close by you can come out to the M&G in Jasper on Saturday and somebody can try to diagnose it for you. We have 50 years of combined jk experience lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
X2 I found that Mobil 1, Pure One, and several "high end" filters drained back resulting in low oil pressure when you start the vehicle. I used a Fram XG3600 Extended Guard filter and it does drain back at all and is bigger than the factory filter



True, but there is also an issue if the connector from manifold to exhaust pipe that can result in exhaust gas escaping until it warms up and seals.
Yeah if it's the filter issie, I use the same one as Phil and it hasn't been a problem since.

Manifold crack was more of a pff pff pff sound.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
gold knight is offline  
post #25 of 27 Old 04-25-2013, 01:46 PM
Granite Guru
 
Dittman2564's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Central Coast,Ca.
Age: 51
Posts: 125
Feedback: 0 reviews

I am experiencing a similar situation. Only when engine is cold/has been sitting for a while.
My problem is not exhaust,(already replaced drivers side manifold due to extreme crack) and not lifters in my opinion. (37+ years hot rodder,Jeeper,mechanic/ase cerified engine perf./engine elect.&electronics/CARB clean air car course/SMOG certified tech)
My problem appears to be ring gear/starter drive and/or gear related.
It seems like they aren't meshing,weak bendix spring maybe?
It sounds similar to when the ring gear teeth are damaged and starter gear is slipping etc.
Sounds perfect on other occasions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bendix_drive

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne - The Shootist

Last edited by Dittman2564; 04-25-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Dittman2564 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome