grrrrr .. alternator whine and system noise - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 04-10-2009, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Fistfull of Boomstick
 
usmcdoc14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Norfawk, va
Posts: 3,881
Feedback: 1 reviews
grrrrr .. alternator whine and system noise

HELP.
Installed a dual battery system with hellroaring isolator combiner in the jeep JK. its rear mounted with a 2/0 wire running up to a distribution block. block goes to all pre-existing main power. Bats are ground to body and frame with 2/0. (figured that problem from yesterday)
New head unit, amps and speakers, all wired right, power wires WELL away from RCA.

FAWKING ALTERNATOR HUM not only that but another constant faint "tweeedleetweeedleeetweedleee" that is not varied with engine RPM.
it stops ONLY when no rca's are in the amps. a Ipod plugged directly into the amp does not do it (so not the amp)

Tried solutions:
Ground amps direct to bat.
gain turned down.
rca direct from head unit to amps in mid air.
head unit direct power and ground from bat.
disconnect hellroaring isolator.
run head unit on an ENTIRELY SEPARATED power supply.
combination of all of the above.

what the ****.

is my alternator bleeding that much ****ing RF that the headunit picks it up even when on an isolated power supply?
solutions?
other things to try?

Doc-14 Tactical Products:
When it absolutely, positively needs to be made from random crap found in the back of my garage.

usmcdoc14 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 04-10-2009, 11:42 AM
Rock God
 
paragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Jackson, MS USA
Posts: 1,793
Feedback: 0 reviews

ground the amps/radio to a separate, unused ground and not the batt and see if that works

.

...
I have the courage to have my wisdom regarded as your stupidity
paragon is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 04-10-2009, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Fistfull of Boomstick
 
usmcdoc14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Norfawk, va
Posts: 3,881
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragon View Post
ground the amps/radio to a separate, unused ground and not the batt and see if that works
tried.

does the computer throw that much RF in the JK's?

Doc-14 Tactical Products:
When it absolutely, positively needs to be made from random crap found in the back of my garage.

usmcdoc14 is offline  
post #4 of 12 Old 04-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Rock God
 
paragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Jackson, MS USA
Posts: 1,793
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcdoc14 View Post
tried.

does the computer throw that much RF in the JK's?
honestly, it's the first I've heard of it that bad

is there any point where the power from the alt going to the isolator is near amp or radio cables?

I wonder if it could be some RF flowing down the jeep (you did say it was in the back) and interfering with your amp down the wire somewhere

.

...
I have the courage to have my wisdom regarded as your stupidity
paragon is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 04-10-2009, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Fistfull of Boomstick
 
usmcdoc14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Norfawk, va
Posts: 3,881
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragon View Post
honestly, it's the first I've heard of it that bad

is there any point where the power from the alt going to the isolator is near amp or radio cables?

I wonder if it could be some RF flowing down the jeep (you did say it was in the back) and interfering with your amp down the wire somewhere

main power wire goes from distribution block under hood to the passenger frame rail top and all the way to the trunk area, it then goes to the main bat and the isolator is connected to (mind you the hellroaring unit has already been ruled out as a culprit) the amps are mounted on the rollcage ABOVE the rear passenger area. The power for the amps comes up the left rear cage tube to the amps. the ground comes from the front on the left (same side). The RCA's (all of them) come from the front right side (complete opposite of the power) there path is head unit - behind dash above glove box- down right side kick panel- right side rocker- up right side "B" pillar- across cage top to the amps.

Doc-14 Tactical Products:
When it absolutely, positively needs to be made from random crap found in the back of my garage.

usmcdoc14 is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 04-10-2009, 02:13 PM
Rock God
 
paragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Jackson, MS USA
Posts: 1,793
Feedback: 0 reviews

have you unplugged the amp inputs to see if it's at the amps or up stream?

.

...
I have the courage to have my wisdom regarded as your stupidity
paragon is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 04-10-2009, 10:26 PM
dsy
Granite Guru
 
dsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Toledo
Age: 60
Posts: 343
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcdoc14 View Post
main power wire goes from distribution block under hood to the passenger frame rail top and all the way to the trunk area, it then goes to the main bat and the isolator is connected to (mind you the hellroaring unit has already been ruled out as a culprit) the amps are mounted on the rollcage ABOVE the rear passenger area. The power for the amps comes up the left rear cage tube to the amps. the ground comes from the front on the left (same side). The RCA's (all of them) come from the front right side (complete opposite of the power) there path is head unit - behind dash above glove box- down right side kick panel- right side rocker- up right side "B" pillar- across cage top to the amps.
Not sure if it would matter or not but are the amps powered from the aux batt and the head unit from the main batt? If so you may want to try running a temp feed to the amps from the main batt just to rule it out.

07 Flame Red Unlimited Rubicon, 5.7 hemi, RCV shafts, 35" KM2's, AEV 3 1/2 lift, , AEV rear swing away Carrier, AEV Snorkel, LoD front bumper with Warn powerplant, 45qt Engel refrigerator / freezer. , Marchal E-Code lamps
DIY Hemi build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dsy is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 04-11-2009, 05:14 AM
Granite Guru
 
ksjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Topeka, KS
Age: 51
Posts: 301
Feedback: 0 reviews

Just a guess... Pioneer head unit? Wrap a ground wire around the rcas on the head unit... tie it to the nearest screw on the head unit.
ksjeep is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 04-11-2009, 06:30 AM
JKO Addict!
 
Broncojohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dallas, Texas
Age: 43
Posts: 2,522
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Grounds should be as short as possible, try grounding straight to the rollbar. If your worried about current and don't have access to a megger, to check the rollbar grounding, put a ground strap from the bar to the chassis. RF usually enters through wire so rid yourself from as much length as possible. If its comming through the positive try putting a large (smaller number) capacitor on the positive, it will drain any noise off the power and will help with power spikes and "turn on pop". Then try double shielded RCA cables; it's going to be hard to keep noise off the IPOD connector because the IPOD isn't grounded to the same source as the other equipment so don't skimp on the cable. Do not coil any of audio wiring, lay any excess in a S- pattern under the carpet, and dont pinch or make sharp bends in the line level wiring, it shortens the dielectric gap which protects the signal.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.

Last edited by Broncojohn; 04-11-2009 at 06:34 AM.
Broncojohn is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 04-11-2009, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Fistfull of Boomstick
 
usmcdoc14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Norfawk, va
Posts: 3,881
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsy View Post
Not sure if it would matter or not but are the amps powered from the aux batt and the head unit from the main batt? If so you may want to try running a temp feed to the amps from the main batt just to rule it out.
They are powered off the main bat. the aux is just that and isolated from the system unless I switch it on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojohn View Post
Grounds should be as short as possible, try grounding straight to the rollbar.
It is and they are. max ground wire length is 12" I will post pics later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojohn View Post
If your worried about current and don't have access to a megger, to check the rollbar grounding, put a ground strap from the bar to the chassis.
already did

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojohn View Post
it's going to be hard to keep noise off the IPOD connector because the IPOD isn't grounded to the same source as the other equipment so don't skimp on the cable.
I did the same with the head unit as I posted above. I wired the HU to its own battery isolated from the vehicles system and it still had hum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojohn View Post
Do not coil any of audio wiring, lay any excess in a S- pattern under the carpet, and dont pinch or make sharp bends in the line level wiring, it shortens the dielectric gap which protects the signal.
Thanks, I am not that much of a noob

Doc-14 Tactical Products:
When it absolutely, positively needs to be made from random crap found in the back of my garage.

usmcdoc14 is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 04-13-2009, 01:48 PM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 37
Feedback: 0 reviews

What head unit is in it? Pioneer's newer double din head units have had known noise issues for a couple of years now. I don't remember the details but something about powering it up and not connecting the RCA does something strange and blows a ground trace causing noise (or something like that).

Fixed an install two years ago in a brand new Escalade that had all JL and a Pioneer double din. Grounded the head unit and the RCA's with the amps and it fixed it. The radio was grounded with the factory ground in the dash and it was noisy.

Jason Sayen

Director of Sales, Mobile Division
JL Audio l Total Mobile Audio l JL Audio Marine


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
07BlkSahara is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 04-14-2009, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Fistfull of Boomstick
 
usmcdoc14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Norfawk, va
Posts: 3,881
Feedback: 1 reviews

Its a kenwood dnx7120.
I went to the Kenwood service place for the east and the dude there told me the install is fine and I am being anal retentive and that he could hear the noise as well but he would say "fawk it" at this point as well.
I got rid of like 95% of any outside noise, "you" can't hear it unless I crank the gain on the headunit. Its the JK causing RF and there is not much to stop any more of it.

Doc-14 Tactical Products:
When it absolutely, positively needs to be made from random crap found in the back of my garage.

usmcdoc14 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome