Dome lights won't go off - relay somewhere? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 04-08-2009, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Dome lights won't go off - relay somewhere?

Ok guys, I'm a little stumped.

Got back in the jeep after three days parked, turned it on, heard a loud noise when it started (had left the A/C on when I turned it off, sometimes it sounds like its going to blow up when you turn it on w/ AC on, thought this might be it, but..) and then...

First, my TPMS warning comes on. Odd, just checked the pressure before I left, and it's 78F out...

So, I turn the vehicle off and then back on, no loud noise, and the TPMS is still on. *shrug* will deal with it later, start to drive off (get about ten feet), TPMS goes off. Get another ten feet, and then realize my dome lights are still on - check the knob, turn it all the way off, and well, they're still on.

Drive down a ways, go to the store, spend about 15 minutes in the store, come out and the dome lights are still on. Pull the fuse, bye bye lights.

Now, I've disconnected all of the doors, pulled every relay in the fuse box, and the damn lights won't go off. Just to check and see if the handle switch was bad, I tried several times - turning to the "interior lights on" position causes the lights to get perceptibly brighter, and when switching back off the "on" position, the turn off for a half a second and then come back on.

The only thing that cuts it off is to remove the fuse for the dome lights, that also turns off the switch for hazards and ESP, or remove the M20 fuse, completely disabling the jeep.

Any ideas on where to look from here?

!c
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-08-2009, 06:15 PM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

I was riding in one of my friends unlmtds and we couldnt get the lights to go off. I read in the manual that you have to press up on the rear dome light for it to go off. Im sure this is not your problem, just thought id throw that out there.

corey d

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #3 of 10 Old 04-08-2009, 06:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUPIDFACE View Post
I was riding in one of my friends unlmtds and we couldnt get the lights to go off. I read in the manual that you have to press up on the rear dome light for it to go off. Im sure this is not your problem, just thought id throw that out there.

corey d

I haven't had a problem with my lights not going off, but my 09 interior light can't be turned off by pressing on it.

It's a fixed light.
post #4 of 10 Old 04-08-2009, 06:48 PM
Rock God

Garage

Sometimes the canbus gets weird, if you disconnect the battery (both terminals) and touch them together 2 or 3 times, usually everything resets.

Sounds dumb, but it works & is safe to do.

'07 2 door Rubicon Steel Blue & Black 2 Tone
PROUD to be an
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-08-2009, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

It's definitely not the rear dome press-switch, I tried that earlier.

I'll try the terminal trick, and see what that does. Thanks for the tip!

!c
post #6 of 10 Old 04-09-2009, 12:59 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Open up the relay / fuse box an lightly tap on the relays one at a time. It could be a bad relay. If that does not work then try to indentify which relay it would be from a wire diagram. some of the relays are the same number and can be swapped. Make sure you put them back in the original postioneach time.

Good luck.

2007 Jk Rubicon
1952 M38A1
post #7 of 10 Old 04-11-2009, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Well, it turns out, I also had issues with my cigarette lighter (the keyed one), which I didn't realize until I had largely given up on the dome lights, and having the dash panel open, went to tap something else into it.

About five hours worth of diagnosis == I'm an idiot.

Gave up on the electrical work, after re-wiring my leds, switch panel, etc. looking for a possible short...

Decided to solve the problem w/ that mountaineer rack sliding down.

Would you f$%*ing believe it? The mountaineer rack had slid down onto the rear dome light wires and shorted them. Causing all of my electrical gremlins.

I need a beer.

!c
post #8 of 10 Old 04-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
I haven't had a problem with my lights not going off, but my 09 interior light can't be turned off by pressing on it.

It's a fixed light.

If you have an 09 UNLIMITED, your REAR dome light presses on and off.

corey d

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #9 of 10 Old 04-16-2009, 05:59 AM
Rock Gliding Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUPIDFACE View Post
If you have an 09 UNLIMITED, your REAR dome light presses on and off.

corey d
Yeah, 07 Unlimited also... So I guess 08 too...

07 Unlimited Rubi Rescue Green
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-29-2009, 08:18 AM
Rock God

Garage
Post guess 08 too

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoxxis View Post
Yeah, 07 Unlimited also... So I guess 08 too...
Yes I can confirm that with the 08 too! Especially after carrying kids in the back seat! It took me a little while to figure out why my rear dome light was on. KIDS! They make life interesting!

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode