Locating the Oil Sending unit.... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 04-05-2009, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Locating the Oil Sending unit....

Looking to tap in to the signal wire for an aux device. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-05-2009, 10:37 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrocouple View Post
Looking to tap in to the signal wire for an aux device. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I don't think there is one. At least if you are adding gauges that read info from the OBDII, you have to add a sender for the oil pressure.

BEER Helping me do stupid things to my JK since 2007!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old 04-05-2009, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I'm looking to verify that the engine is running so I was hoping that it had some oil pressure switch.....any thoughts
post #4 of 14 Old 04-05-2009, 12:32 PM
Granite Guru

The description from the FSM:

The engine oil pressure switch is located on the lower left front side of the engine. It screws into the oil filter adapter. The normally closed switch provides an input through a single wire to the low pressure indicator light on the instrument cluster.

The picture from the FSM (which is clearly a picture of the 3.8 from a Minivan):

But it might still be attached to the oil filter adapter which is located on the left front side of the engine, so let us know.

2007 Stone White Rubicon
post #5 of 14 Old 04-05-2009, 04:08 PM
Rock God

Go-No Go switch?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 Old 04-05-2009, 04:11 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by seer View Post
Go-No Go switch?
I think so... I believe it switches at like 3 or 7 PSI.

2007 Stone White Rubicon
post #7 of 14 Old 04-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Red Sunrise=Not Pretty

Send a message via MSN to bfj aka tambil

That picture is wrong.

Look behind the oil filter and up on the passenger side. The sending unit sits just above the coolant line. If you need it post up and I will take a picture tomorrow.
You can't get oil pressure from this switch. If you need that go to jegs and get the adapter plate that mounts between the filter and the engine. It would be the easiest solution depending on what your trying to accomplish.

Proud to be an American
Shamed of our government

Native Floridian = MUD
post #8 of 14 Old 04-06-2009, 06:19 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfj aka tambil View Post
That picture is wrong.

Look behind the oil filter and up on the passenger side. The sending unit sits just above the coolant line. If you need it post up and I will take a picture tomorrow.
You can't get oil pressure from this switch. If you need that go to jegs and get the adapter plate that mounts between the filter and the engine. It would be the easiest solution depending on what your trying to accomplish.
He says he's looking for a switch (on/off) so this sounds like what he's after, no need for pressure reading. VV

Quote:
I'm looking to verify that the engine is running so I was hoping that it had some oil pressure switch.....any thoughts

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #9 of 14 Old 04-07-2009, 02:14 PM
Red Sunrise=Not Pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
He says he's looking for a switch (on/off) so this sounds like what he's after, no need for pressure reading. VV
Thats true. But if he tries to find it from the picture above, he'll really be lost. I had to tap mine, but I'm actually letting oil flow from where the sending unit mounts, to the supercharger. So I tee'd off at the block and ran a hose to the SC and put the sensor onto the tee.

I had to use a long extension and a sending unit socket and access from the wheel well to get to it. (Just pulled the plastic back from the front - didn't have to fully remove it from the wheel well)

Sounds like the OP just needs to tap the wire coming from it.

Proud to be an American
Shamed of our government

Native Floridian = MUD
post #10 of 14 Old 04-07-2009, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks all for replying.....I thought that this maybe the sensor but I thought it was to close to the coolant line. I'm installing a VMU (Vehicle Management Unit) for controlling a Hydrogen booster.
post #11 of 14 Old 04-07-2009, 04:14 PM
Rock God

As long as we're here, has anyone actually installed an oil sending unit? It's on my short list of stuff to do.

post #12 of 14 Old 04-07-2009, 06:32 PM
Red Sunrise=Not Pretty

Quote:
Thanks all for replying.....I thought that this maybe the sensor but I thought it was to close to the coolant line. I'm installing a VMU (Vehicle Management Unit) for controlling a Hydrogen booster.
Thats the one. lol

Cool deal. Let us know how that works out for you. I've heard some conflicting stories. There is so much bs on the net regarding those things.

Proud to be an American
Shamed of our government

Native Floridian = MUD
post #13 of 14 Old 04-07-2009, 06:33 PM
Red Sunrise=Not Pretty

Quote:
As long as we're here, has anyone actually installed an oil sending unit? It's on my short list of stuff to do.
Do you mean for getting a real oil pressure measurement?

(I haven't, but just figured since I was posting I would ask for clarification.)

Proud to be an American
Shamed of our government

Native Floridian = MUD
post #14 of 14 Old 04-07-2009, 06:56 PM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Yes

Oil Pressure and Trans Temp Gauges
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode