fog lights - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 02-18-2009, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

fog lights

hey i dont know if anybody has ever asked but im wondering if there is a way to make the fog lights stay on when the high beams/brights are on. if there is a way please let me know. i know it is prolly illeagle or something but when im in the middle of nowhere i cant see it really mattering. thanks a bunch.

seth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-18-2009, 06:47 AM
Rock God

I replaced my stockers with Deltas and ran a new relay and switch.

post #3 of 14 Old 02-18-2009, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

thats cool and it looks sweet nice jeep man, but in know theres gotta be a way to do it with factory fogs.
post #4 of 14 Old 02-18-2009, 06:56 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAZY AZ HELL View Post
hey i dont know if anybody has ever asked but im wondering if there is a way to make the fog lights stay on when the high beams/brights are on. if there is a way please let me know. i know it is prolly illeagle or something but when im in the middle of nowhere i cant see it really mattering. thanks a bunch.

seth
Short answer is no, the fogs are controlled by the Canbus and can't be changed. As the post above indicates they have to be re-wired to another switch. Another approach however included some creative use of relays... (and Diodes). The four diodes are important to prevent any back feeding of circuits. Relay #1 becomes self sustaining until ground from relay #2 is lost. You would need to turn on the fog lamps during low beam operation but will stay on when switched to high beam.
If there is any delay time between low to high beam switch, you may also want to install a capactitor before pin 85 of Relay #2 to insure the relay doesn't change state.

08 Silver 4 Door X - XD Bumpers - Slightly lifted, and some modest welding underneath... and a really loud stereo to block the wind noise
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JohnnyD; 02-18-2009 at 06:59 AM.
post #5 of 14 Old 02-18-2009, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

wow nothin is easy on these jeeps its it. lol thanks for the diagrams.
post #6 of 14 Old 02-18-2009, 07:59 AM
Granite Guru

I know on my TJ, if you bent/cut off one of the legs on the relay the fogs would stay on. Not sure if this is the same on the JK or not...maybe one of the electrical savy guys here would know....
post #7 of 14 Old 02-18-2009, 12:08 PM
Granite Guru

The Dodge truck guys ran a jumper wire from one relay to another(not sure which ones) in the relay box under the hood, which made the fogs stay on with highs and lows. Here is a thread about it:
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/show...og+jumper+wire

Not sure if anything like this can be done to our jk's, I just remembered it from when I had my Ram.
post #8 of 14 Old 02-18-2009, 02:55 PM
Rock God

Ive been trying to come up with some idea for this and i though of a jumper wire but im not so sure because the JK is an electrical nightmare compared to older models. I guess we can come up with and plan so whe dont mess up the canbus or anything else.

JKOutcast Member
post #9 of 14 Old 02-18-2009, 03:38 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass View Post
The Dodge truck guys ran a jumper wire from one relay to another(not sure which ones) in the relay box under the hood, which made the fogs stay on with highs and lows.
Did the same thing on my '05 Tacoma that I traded for the Jeep. You pretty much ended up with daytime running lights if you left the switch on. Sounds like that's not gonna work here though.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-18-2009, 04:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
I replaced my stockers with Deltas and ran a new relay and switch.

Everytime we go out with GUNNY its a drool fest on that ride
post #11 of 14 Old 02-18-2009, 06:00 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoejd View Post
I know on my TJ, if you bent/cut off one of the legs on the relay the fogs would stay on. Not sure if this is the same on the JK or not...maybe one of the electrical savy guys here would know....
Nope - this won't work on a JK

08 Silver 4 Door X - XD Bumpers - Slightly lifted, and some modest welding underneath... and a really loud stereo to block the wind noise

post #12 of 14 Old 02-18-2009, 06:01 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass View Post
The Dodge truck guys ran a jumper wire from one relay to another(not sure which ones) in the relay box under the hood, which made the fogs stay on with highs and lows. Here is a thread about it:
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/show...og+jumper+wire

Not sure if anything like this can be done to our jk's, I just remembered it from when I had my Ram.
Won't work on a JK

The wiring diagram I posted above is an OE diagram - there is no relay in the factory configuration. The fogs are controlled by the Body Control Module (BCM)

post #13 of 14 Old 02-21-2009, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

like i said before, nothing is easy on these jeeps is it? haha, jk breakin stuff is pretty easy. lol
post #14 of 14 Old 02-22-2009, 06:25 PM
Wheeler

if anyone goes through with johnnyd's plan, please document and post so i can follow your lead!

'08 X 2-Door, 4" Pro Comp suspension lift, 35" MTR Kevlars, Warrior tube doors, MBRP exhaust kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode