Factory Sirius tuner - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 12-09-2008, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Factory Sirius tuner

What do you guys think about the performance of the factory Sirius tuner? Specifically the signal strength. Just driving under some trees makes the damn thing cut out! Now, I come from the XM world where the antenna is on the roof and I NEVER have this problem. Anyone relocate the antenna above the roll bar? I was thinking about doing this. I don't even know where it is installed now. Any ideas? Thanks.
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 12-09-2008, 04:17 PM
Rock God

Mine sucks too! I have a regular siruis tuner in my truck with the small magnetic antenna on the hood and it works very well.

Those of you that think you know everything really annoy those of us that do!
post #3 of 32 Old 12-09-2008, 04:43 PM
Alec W

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenleaf View Post
I don't even know where it is installed now.
At the top of B pillar on the passenger side.
post #4 of 32 Old 12-09-2008, 05:24 PM
Granite Guru

Alec, did you relocate yours to the B pillar or was that the factory location?

Mine is mounted on the bottom side of the upper dash panel, just above the MyGIG. Poor reception! I ran another antenna to the top of the roll bar this summer when I was running with the top off. It worked great until I put the top back on. With the top on the Sirius was only marginally worse than the dash location, but the GPS kept losing reception so I hooked the factory antenna back up.
post #5 of 32 Old 12-09-2008, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepThing View Post

Mine is mounted on the bottom side of the upper dash panel, just above the MyGIG. Poor reception! I ran another antenna to the top of the roll bar this summer when I was running with the top off. It worked great until I put the top back on. With the top on the Sirius was only marginally worse than the dash location, but the GPS kept losing reception so I hooked the factory antenna back up.

Ahhh... so an aftermarket antenna will fit. I couldn't remember what the antenna connector looked like when I had the head unit out. So with the soft top it worked well or were you only running with no top at all?
post #6 of 32 Old 12-09-2008, 05:44 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to JohnnyWalker

Moot point for me. Since the Sirius/XM merger, they've managed to drop channels that I regularly listen to. I really liked sat radio too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlime? View Post
Did you just search for "gay" or "halo" and bump those threads?
post #7 of 32 Old 12-09-2008, 06:16 PM
Alec W

Quote:

Mine is mounted on the bottom side of the upper dash panel, just above the MyGIG. Poor reception!
The SAT antenna is above the B pillar from the factory. What you see on the underside of the upper dash is the GPS antenna and compass.

Go to page 153 in this PDF http://www.myprojectjk.com/images/2008wranglerparts.pdf

Last edited by Alec W; 12-09-2008 at 06:19 PM.
post #8 of 32 Old 12-09-2008, 06:20 PM
Alec W

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyWalker View Post
Moot point for me. Since the Sirius/XM merger, they've managed to drop channels that I regularly listen to. I really liked sat radio too.
Still much better than AM/FM, stop crying
post #9 of 32 Old 12-09-2008, 06:24 PM
Red Sunrise=Not Pretty

Send a message via MSN to bfj aka tambil

I just listen to the little voices....

Proud to be an American
Shamed of our government

Native Floridian = MUD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 32 Old 12-10-2008, 05:55 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfj aka tambil View Post
I just listen to the little voices....

07 JK Unlimited X - 24s, Soft, Auto, 4:10's, Saraha 18's. OME Springs and Shocks, JKS Front and Rear Adj. Bars, JKS Disco's, Spidertrax Wheel Spacers, Mopar Trail Guide.

01 WJ Limited -- Gone to make room for JK Unlimited!

01 TJ for me and my son-----BYE BYE TJ see you on the trails someday....

.__0_0_0_0
[l_,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)---)_)
post #11 of 32 Old 12-10-2008, 11:31 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec W View Post
The SAT antenna is above the B pillar from the factory. What you see on the underside of the upper dash is the GPS antenna and compass.

Go to page 153 in this PDF http://www.myprojectjk.com/images/2008wranglerparts.pdf
My bad! Looks like I had been given some bad info. Thanks for the link to the parts manual, looks like it can be a great resource!

Quote:
Ahhh... so an aftermarket antenna will fit. I couldn't remember what the antenna connector looked like when I had the head unit out. So with the soft top it worked well or were you only running with no top at all?
Aftermarket antenna plugged in fine - but per Alec's post I was replacing the GPS antenna, not the Sirius antenna like I thought I was. The aftermarket had the same connection, just didn't have the blue plastic fitting (plug) around it.

Never put the soft top on, just ran topless this summer.
post #12 of 32 Old 12-11-2008, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
My bad! Looks like I had been given some bad info. Thanks for the link to the parts manual, looks like it can be a great resource!

Aftermarket antenna plugged in fine - but per Alec's post I was replacing the GPS antenna, not the Sirius antenna like I thought I was. The aftermarket had the same connection, just didn't have the blue plastic fitting (plug) around it.

Never put the soft top on, just ran topless this summer.
You know...this begs the question. If the factory antenna is basically above the b-pillar / roll bar, why does it suck so bad? Perhaps it has no gain like some of the aftermarket antennas. I guess I'll be the guinea pig on this one. I am going to order a good high gain antenna today.

Oh... one thing. Does anyone happen to happen to have a picture of the connector? Even a picture of it plugged into the back of the head unit would be fine. I want to make sure I get the right on and I am too lazy to pull it from the dash. Thanks!
post #13 of 32 Old 12-11-2008, 12:44 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Oh... one thing. Does anyone happen to happen to have a picture of the connector? Even a picture of it plugged into the back of the head unit would be fine. I want to make sure I get the right on and I am too lazy to pull it from the dash. Thanks!
Picture on page 7 shows it plugged in, http://www.coastaletech.com/media/MY...NSTRUCTION.pdf. The blue plug on the right of the picture is the plug for the Sirius.
post #14 of 32 Old 12-11-2008, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks JeepThing! I'll you all know how it performs.
Jeff
post #15 of 32 Old 12-11-2008, 03:02 PM
Granite Guru

Good luck with it. I hope you come back with good news!

If you haven't had that center console off and radio out before, here is a video that shows the removal, http://www.coastaletech.com/WRANGLER_INSTALL.htm. Easy to do, just be careful not to mar the plastic up or scratch the screen of the MyGIG. I wrap a rag around the screwdriver that I use to pry the plastic pieces up with.
post #16 of 32 Old 12-12-2008, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

I got one on order today. It is supposed to have a better receive performance over the stocker. +2db gain average. We'll see!
post #17 of 32 Old 12-13-2008, 09:21 PM
Rock God

Garage
Post actory antenna

Quote:

The antenna under the top panel of the dash is for the GPS and the compass. The Satellite Radio antenna is on top of the Roll Bar above the Speaker on the Passenger side.

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #18 of 32 Old 12-17-2008, 09:45 PM
Granite Guru

Sheeeet Quit whinin, mine works in Mexico. Its the bomb!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rubicon Unlimited, Rescue Green, Warn bumper, Aux lighting, Warn Powerplant, Warn dif protecectors, Rock Hard Rear Bumper all accessories, 5.38, 37x12.50MT on 17"Moto Metals, Edelbrock Extreme Travel shocks, Russell ext S,S, brake lines, Superlift 4'' CAI, Magna Flow, Cobra CB, Staun deflators, Huskey mats, Grab Handles, set up to flat tow, Oil, tranny, shock, muffler & control arm skids, , Chrome, sils, grill inserts & light cages.
post #19 of 32 Old 01-23-2009, 11:35 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
I got one on order today. It is supposed to have a better receive performance over the stocker. +2db gain average. We'll see!
Any improvement Jeff?
post #20 of 32 Old 01-26-2009, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Any improvement Jeff?
Sorry guys... I haven't had much luck. I ordered an antenna that had the wrong connector. I figured out I need a FAKRA style connector. I'll look around for that connector that I can solder on or just buy a new antenna. I'll get back to you soon!
Jeff
post #21 of 32 Old 01-27-2009, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

I just ordered a FAKRA SMB connector today. I'll post up the results in about a week.

Jeff
post #22 of 32 Old 02-09-2009, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

So far so good!

Hey guys,

I got the new connector soldered and installed the new antenna today. I insalled it above the B hoop (right in the center). So far I can drive in known crappy areas without losing the signal. I'll report back in a week with a real assesment.

Jeff
post #23 of 32 Old 02-09-2009, 02:11 PM
Rock God

only time i have issues is during heavy overcast days, in tunnels, and couple overpass. other then that it works flawless.
post #24 of 32 Old 02-09-2009, 02:57 PM
Rock God

Mine works fine. Trees... No trees. The only time I have issues is in tunnels.
post #25 of 32 Old 02-12-2009, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Well, it's time to report the results. I drove around all week long in the same areas that cut out and had no loss of signal! Reading some of the posts from other guys suggests that perhaps they have better quality antennas than I did. If you are having issues like I was, it is worth trying the new antenna yourself. It isn't that expensive.

I used this antenna:
Directed Electronics 14105

I picked this one because it appeared to have the best gain from reading about it. I knew the connector was not exactly the same but it was SMB so I hoped it would work with FAKRA/SMB. It didn't so I had to spend more money on a FAKRA connector (www.digikey.com PN# ARF1523-ND).

If I were to do it again, I would just buy this one with a FAKRA connector:
Terk SIRMINI

My only concern is that it is a "mini" antenna and it might not have as much gain as the other one I bought. (much larger surface area) There isn't enough data online to suggest one is better than the other however. I couldn't find real gain numbers for either. The mini is cheaper so that's a bonus.

In all reality, I am probably just fixing a defective antenna installed by the factory since others seem to have no issues. Hopefully this helps some of you guys. Cheers!

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode