Replace Dash Speakers - remove dash? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 10-21-2008, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Replace Dash Speakers - remove dash?

I'm having trouble getting the driver side speaker out from under the dash...did anybody replace those speakers? I could use a write up or some tips.

H3 Lux with Adventure Package

Gone but not forgotten:
2009 Black Rubicon Unlimited
2007 Silver Rubicon Unlimited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 10-29-2008, 11:09 AM
Rock God

Bump? Any answers to this ?

jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #3 of 23 Old 10-29-2008, 11:15 AM
Granite Guru

Good luck, I saw a write up on doing this on another forum and it looked like a nightmare. I know you remove several screws and then pry out the dash and hold it while you unscrew the speaker box assembly. Then it requires wiggling the speaker box out. After seeing what it took I decided to sell the speakers I bought for the front. But the information is out there for you.
post #4 of 23 Old 10-29-2008, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

actually i got it, just remove all the dash bolt (8 i think) and pull the driver side outer corner of the dash panel towards you. eventually you can pry the speaker box out. passenger side is real easy.

Gone but not forgotten:
post #5 of 23 Old 12-16-2008, 01:08 PM
BT

07 Rubi: I'm looking to upgrade the stock stereo and speakers. I'm told that the odd sound bar speakers (6 3/4") can be replaced with 6.5"...do you know what size the front dash holes will hold before I get to ripping stuff apart? It would be nice to be able to shop for speakers, then tear it apart and put it together at the same time. Thanks for the help!

B
post #6 of 23 Old 12-16-2008, 02:21 PM
Granite Guru

It is a nightmare. The stock ones are 5-3/4 or some crap. I replaced mine with infinity 6-1/2s. (My brother owns a Car Audio shop) He said the JK dash was a B**** to get off. After reading a little on the subject and laying on the floorboard looking at it for a while. I said screw it and took it to the shop. It took them little over 4 hours to do it, and they had to make a bracket to hold the new speakers. The ones in the roll bar were pretty easy but I had to modify the factory bracket too. Don’t regret dropping that 50 bucks one bit. I sat at hooters had a few and watched the game while they did it. Good luck

American, Gun owning, God fear'n, Veteran, and I'm offended that you're offended.
post #7 of 23 Old 12-16-2008, 02:22 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Hey BT, I've been told that the speakers in the dash and roll bar are 6 1/2 inch speakers. If they are 6 3/4, then you should be able to fit the smaller 6 1/2s. Just be careful because the speakers that come stock on our JKs are held in by three screws and most after market speakers use a 4 screw design, so you'll need to find a bracket.

'08 Silver JKU - Grace

“We often miss opportunity because it's dressed in overalls and looks like work”
― Thomas A. Edison

Last edited by Swinge86; 12-16-2008 at 02:33 PM.
post #8 of 23 Old 12-16-2008, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT View Post
07 Rubi: I'm looking to upgrade the stock stereo and speakers. I'm told that the odd sound bar speakers (6 3/4") can be replaced with 6.5"...do you know what size the front dash holes will hold before I get to ripping stuff apart? It would be nice to be able to shop for speakers, then tear it apart and put it together at the same time. Thanks for the help!

B
I used JL Audio 6.5" speakers and just drilled new holes. If i'd do it again i would get either the Kicker soundbar replacement speakers from quadratec or the infinity 6022i's which come with the correct bracket for jk's i hear.

Gone but not forgotten:
post #9 of 23 Old 12-16-2008, 02:49 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

hey 07 rubi, i just bought some component speakers for the front and was going to put them in soon. You said you didn't have much trouble getting the drivers side speaker out, right? I've found all the bolts and screw that are needed to get the speaker box unhooked from the, but I wondered if you could explain a little more indepth what you did exactly to get the box out.... did you just get the dash unscrewed from the bottom and pull it out so the speaker came out from the door side, correct?

Thanks for the help and cheers

'08 Silver JKU - Grace

“We often miss opportunity because it's dressed in overalls and looks like work”
― Thomas A. Edison
post #10 of 23 Old 12-16-2008, 03:22 PM
Afghan But Kicker

Are you guys upgrading from the premium sound system?

I dont have any problems with mine, its loud enough for me

JKOutcast Member
post #11 of 23 Old 12-16-2008, 05:15 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

No, I'm upgrading from the stock without an infinity system. It's not the 'loudness' that bothers me (although with the doors and top off, it definitely needs some thought), but rather then sound quality. There's no depth... Sorry, I'm a real audio nut and the lack of quality drives me crazy.......

'08 Silver JKU - Grace

― Thomas A. Edison
post #12 of 23 Old 12-16-2008, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swinge86 View Post
hey 07 rubi, i just bought some component speakers for the front and was going to put them in soon. You said you didn't have much trouble getting the drivers side speaker out, right? I've found all the bolts and screw that are needed to get the speaker box unhooked from the, but I wondered if you could explain a little more indepth what you did exactly to get the box out.... did you just get the dash unscrewed from the bottom and pull it out so the speaker came out from the door side, correct?

Thanks for the help and cheers
yes, unscrew the dash (i think 8 or 9 screws) and the speaker-box. Then pull on the bottom of the dash and twist the speaker-box around till it comes out.

When I tried this the first time I gave up after cutting my hands and not being brave enough to pull hard enough on the dash. The second time i tried it i pulled the dash out quite a bit and the box was fairly easy to remove.

Just be sure not to do this in colder temperatures as plastic becomes a little brittle when cold.

Gone but not forgotten:
post #13 of 23 Old 12-16-2008, 06:33 PM
Rock God

i think i am gonna go to circuit city....

performance mods: 3.5" Rock Krawler Mid-Arm lift, ProComp MX-6 shocks, 35 x 12.50 Super Swamper SSRs, 17x8.5" Procomp 9001s in Knight Chrome with 4.5" backspace, Bulldog Fab rear bumper with tire carrier, Smittybilt XRC front bumper, cooltech muffler relocate

appearance mods: budget grille mod, painted A/C rings, made side markers into blinkers, removed "Jeep" front bling.
post #14 of 23 Old 12-16-2008, 08:42 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

ah, i'm not paying someone else to do the work that I can do and don't mind blood, sweat, and tearing through myself. Thanks for you help Rubi!!!!

'08 Silver JKU - Grace

― Thomas A. Edison
post #15 of 23 Old 12-18-2008, 05:57 AM
Banned

It took me about 5 hours to get my dash apart, new speakers in, and put back toget her. I did upgrade from tthe premium system cause something can always be better. i am jaust glad its done and over w/ because it was one hellish nightmare iam not to fond of doin again
post #16 of 23 Old 01-07-2009, 11:23 AM

Sound Bar Speakers

This may be a late post, but I just got an 09 Wrangler 2 Door and am looking to upgrade the stock speakers and found this online http://www.quadratec.com/products/14133_202.htm. These are custom made and it seems they will fit without any drilling in the sound bar.
post #17 of 23 Old 03-06-2011, 08:43 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by usafsammy View Post
This may be a late post, but I just got an 09 Wrangler 2 Door and am looking to upgrade the stock speakers and found this online http://www.quadratec.com/products/14133_202.htm. These are custom made and it seems they will fit without any drilling in the sound bar.
K this thread is back from the dead by the looks of things.... but wow. $149 for speakers that have polyfoam surrounds.... thats crap. they may sound nice but they will not last long and response is not as quick as rubber surrounds IMO
post #18 of 23 Old 03-07-2011, 07:52 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphalt assault View Post
K this thread is back from the dead by the looks of things.... but wow. $149 for speakers that have polyfoam surrounds.... thats crap. they may sound nice but they will not last long and response is not as quick as rubber surrounds IMO
I agree totally... only spent that on my Alpine front speakers... all rubber surrounds.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 23 Old 03-07-2011, 09:08 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07unlimitedx View Post
I agree totally... only spent that on my Alpine front speakers... all rubber surrounds.
FWIW - Boston Acoustics SC65 uses the 3-Tab mounting system and looks to be a drop in replacement.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 23 Old 03-07-2011, 10:20 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07_Rubi View Post
I'm having trouble getting the driver side speaker out from under the dash...did anybody replace those speakers? I could use a write up or some tips.
Yes I removed the speaker. You need to pull the two lower driver's side panels,
open the door remove the side panel. You are going to see 4 screws that fasten the speaker box. remove the screws. pus your driver's seat back.. look at the speaker box you will see the speaker cable, loosen the connector and remove the cable. removing the speaker box will prove to be like playing tetris.
you may be able to move the speaker easier by removing the metal plate under the streeing column too. search the forums here, thera are a lot of good examples on how to remove the speakers. only do it if you a decent replacements or if you are gonna sound deaden the speaker box with dynamat or polyfill and at least 1hr. to kill. The driver's side speaker box is a PITA.
post #21 of 23 Old 11-09-2011, 02:49 PM

Crossovers

I purchased the Boston Acoustics SR60 Component Speakers to install in my 2008 Sahara Unlimited which has the premium Infinity system in it and the in-dash navigation system.

I see from the Jeep brochure that the Infinity System has built in crossovers. Does anyone know if I can install the BA speakers without the crossovers that came with them, and just utilize/rely on the built-in existing crossovers?

THANKS!!!!!
post #22 of 23 Old 11-18-2014, 05:16 PM

Solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07_Rubi View Post
So, I went ahead and tackled the speaker replacement in my 2008 Wrangler. I bought this baby used and the front dash speakers were blown. The roll bar speakers were OEM, so it was more than likely the rest of the speakers were OEM as well and over 6 years old. After doing a bit of research here and on Crutchfield, I took note the size of the speakers were either 5-1/4" to 6-1/2". There seems to be some debate of the actual size, so I bought the 6-1/2" size and they fit quite well without any goofy mods having to be done.
It seems as though there were some folks having problems with taking off the dash to replace the front speakers. I had a look at my Jeep and found it was quite easy to gain access to the front speakers.
Under the steering column is a small access panel that is held in place by molded plastic clips, it pops off and you will see a steel plate.
After popping that off, there is another panel that looks has though it has a handle on it, and is held in by 2 bolts/screws. Removing those and gently pulling the panel toward you, it will pop off. Again, plastic molded clips.
From there you will see another set of bolts/screws (4 this time). Remove those and the front panel will be loose enough remove the final panel.
On the left side of the panel that is now loose, there is another removable side panel (closest to the door). With a gentle push from the inside of the panel, this puppy pops right off allowing more than enough room to access the speaker.
Here is where it might become tricky as the speaker is in a housing and 4 "star" screws hols it in place. Here is where a very small "pocket size" ratchet will come in very handy.
Remove those screws and the speaker comes out.

I may post pictures of this if there is any confusion on this or of there is anyone out there that is visual like me and needs further clarification.

I am offended at your offense! 'MURICA!

MB ME!
post #23 of 23 Old 11-18-2014, 05:34 PM
Granite Guru

Just incase anyone else needs this....

Guide how to install a stereo and speakers in a 2014

NDTguy....aka Matt
'14 JKU Hardtop, M6 bare bones - My new DD/Toy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode