Electrical 101 Part II. Which fuse to choose? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 09-20-2008, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Electrical 101 Part II. Which fuse to choose?

After wiring up a new relay to my off-road/ back-up lights, I needed a couple fuses to run inline. Lot of choices and although this all may not matter much...I figure- better safe than sorry. So here are my questions...

Are mini sized blade type, standard size blade type, and glass tube type...all pretty much the same in terms of protection... or are there situations where one of these would be better than another?

Also- When looking at fuses, I have noticed a lot of different 3 character codes. Can anyone confirm what these codes stand for, or what should/ shouldn't be used for certain applications?

Codes/ designations I have found...

AGA
AGC
AGW
AGX
ATC
ATM
GBC
SFE

Thanks to someone that can help with these questions, as others may also eventually be in need of this assistance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-21-2008, 05:35 PM
Red Sunrise=Not Pretty

Send a message via MSN to bfj aka tambil

Doesn't directly answer your question but it is what I found on google.
It at least explanes the function. It is a pdf file so you just have to open it.
Cooper Bussman does have a lot of info if you read around there site. Pretty good solution products as well.

http://www.bussmann.com/pdf/38b32ba9...82fb60732f.pdf

EDIT... Here, this explains each letter code... a little. I read it as really a size/ style designation. Thats all.

http://www.bussmann.com/pdf/1389d1ed...4afd4986b0.pdf

Proud to be an American
Shamed of our government

Native Floridian = MUD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bfj aka tambil; 09-21-2008 at 05:38 PM.
post #3 of 12 Old 09-21-2008, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Thanks a lot. That info answered quite a few questions and then some! I appreciate the help. Sounds like I may need to read thru their entire site to find all the codes. Just find it helpful and interesting to absorb this kind of help from you guys. Also helps to make future mods, upgrades, etc...a little less intimidating to tackle.
post #4 of 12 Old 09-21-2008, 06:47 PM
Rock God

30-amp ATC is what i would use.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-21-2008, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

The application that I was doing was a set of back-up lights...55wt halogen. I ultimately went with a 5 amp ATC standard blade type fuse running from the battery to the switch, and a 15 amp AGC glass tube type fuse from the battery to the relay...FWIW
post #6 of 12 Old 10-02-2008, 01:44 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Just curious, why did you go with the glass fuse? Was it for the weather protection or something else?

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-02-2008, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
Just curious, why did you go with the glass fuse? Was it for the weather protection or something else?
I just happened to have one that already had the connector for the relay on one end and the wire was the correct gauge and length for the application. The glass fuse is located behind the glove-box so weather is not an issue...Well, hopefully won't be an issue...lol.
post #8 of 12 Old 10-02-2008, 02:33 PM
Wheeler

I would have run all mini-blade fuses, only because thats what the rig used from the factory, and that is one less spare you need to look out for

Brian Whitford

post #9 of 12 Old 10-02-2008, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I would have run all mini-blade fuses, only because thats what the rig used from the factory, and that is one less spare you need to look out for
If I have a problem blowing it then I will look for the potential problem elsewhere. I don't think there will be an issue blowing the 15 amp glass fuse. If it becomes a problem than I will change to a mini or standard, but I don't see how it will be an issue. I've got a pkg of replacements that is not taking up much space anyway. Thanks for the advice, Brian.

FWIW- I am much more concerned with the stock mkt right now, anyway!
post #10 of 12 Old 10-02-2008, 03:37 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post

FWIW- I am much more concerned with the stock mkt right now, anyway!

I went to 7-11, and just invested $20 in ...so far its a great investment

Brian Whitford

post #11 of 12 Old 10-02-2008, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

(from the movie Animal House)- "My advice...is to start drinking heavily."

"...better listen to him...he's in pre-med!"
post #12 of 12 Old 10-13-2008, 08:00 AM
Wheeler

You can also use breakers a 30 amp breaker is good for multiple lights. If there is a short or high amp surge, the breakers heat up and stop the circuit. They will reset once cooled. stops wires from overheating and melting and shorting (fire) provided you use the proper guage wire.

Good luck

08 Black dual top on Silver 4 door fully loaded Rubi,

Kargo Master Congo cage with Sureco small Safari basket, Hi-lift mount, Axe and shovel mount, Six lights mounted

LoD rear bumper with swing out tire rack, dual gas can holder, and expedition basket

Rugged Ridge modular front bumper with Warn winch

REMEMBER ALWAYS KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode