JKOwners Forum banner

Electrical 101 Part II. Which fuse to choose?

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Moho 
#1 ·
After wiring up a new relay to my off-road/ back-up lights, I needed a couple fuses to run inline. Lot of choices and although this all may not matter much...I figure- better safe than sorry. So here are my questions...

Are mini sized blade type, standard size blade type, and glass tube type...all pretty much the same in terms of protection... or are there situations where one of these would be better than another?

Also- When looking at fuses, I have noticed a lot of different 3 character codes. Can anyone confirm what these codes stand for, or what should/ shouldn't be used for certain applications?

Codes/ designations I have found...

AGA
AGC
AGW
AGX
ATC
ATM
GBC
SFE

Thanks to someone that can help with these questions, as others may also eventually be in need of this assistance.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Doesn't directly answer your question but it is what I found on google.
It at least explanes the function. It is a pdf file so you just have to open it.
Cooper Bussman does have a lot of info if you read around there site. Pretty good solution products as well.

http://www.bussmann.com/pdf/38b32ba9-26dd-45aa-af59-4b82fb60732f.pdf

EDIT... Here, this explains each letter code... a little. I read it as really a size/ style designation. Thats all.

http://www.bussmann.com/pdf/1389d1ed-b82a-4bcb-a06f-c24afd4986b0.pdf

#3 ·
Thanks a lot. That info answered quite a few questions and then some! I appreciate the help. Sounds like I may need to read thru their entire site to find all the codes. Just find it helpful and interesting to absorb this kind of help from you guys. Also helps to make future mods, upgrades, etc...a little less intimidating to tackle.

#5 ·
The application that I was doing was a set of back-up lights...55wt halogen. I ultimately went with a 5 amp ATC standard blade type fuse running from the battery to the switch, and a 15 amp AGC glass tube type fuse from the battery to the relay...FWIW

#7 ·
I just happened to have one that already had the connector for the relay on one end and the wire was the correct gauge and length for the application. The glass fuse is located behind the glove-box so weather is not an issue...Well, hopefully won't be an issue...lol. :shaking:

#9 ·
If I have a problem blowing it then I will look for the potential problem elsewhere. I don't think there will be an issue blowing the 15 amp glass fuse. If it becomes a problem than I will change to a mini or standard, but I don't see how it will be an issue. I've got a pkg of replacements that is not taking up much space anyway. Thanks for the advice, Brian.

FWIW- I am much more concerned with the stock mkt right now, anyway! :bawling:

#11 ·
(from the movie Animal House)- "My advice...is to start drinking heavily."

"...better listen to him...he's in pre-med!"

#12 ·
You can also use breakers a 30 amp breaker is good for multiple lights. If there is a short or high amp surge, the breakers heat up and stop the circuit. They will reset once cooled. stops wires from overheating and melting and shorting (fire) provided you use the proper guage wire.

Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.