JKOwners Forum banner

Back-Up Camera for OEM Touch Screen NAV Unit

12K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  1996cc 
#1 ·
Good Morning JK Owners,

I just got my 2014 Sahara two days ago, I love it so far...

I live in NY and will often be parellel parking, Is there a plug in back-up camera that i can purchase for the oem radio?

Also how do i attach my bluetooth phone, I click the radio option and try to touch the AUX on the screen but it's not highlighted.

thanks!

#6 ·
I have the Brandmotion camera on mine. I have been trying to sell it (just installed on a 16 JKU about 8 weeks ago) to get a model with the guide lines. Mine is just a camera.

#7 ·
Hmmmmm......I just installed the brandmotion camera and I have guidelines. There should be a wire near the camera you can cut. Download the install directions, the wire is identified on the last page. I'll bet your installer connected the wires.

#11 ·
My 2012 has the 430N. I bought a lockpick and JUST installed a camera. I don't like or have much luck with dealerships so I did it the expensive way...Lol...

I wanted the other features of the lockpick so I didn't mind the expense.

I...er, I mean my passenger can watch DVDs or type in an address while moving.

I can also have the backup camera on while driving forward. This is useful for changing lanes in a city full of idiots. I will also use it 4 wheeling. We make sure we can see the person behind us, that way no one gets lost or left behind. This makes it much easier...

#14 ·
tons of threads on this very topic, search and you shall find.

lockpick and NAV-TV are two after-market devices that work well. I have a NAV-TV on my 2012 JKUR. You can also get the dealership to flash your unit to activate the camera input. NAV-TV is pretty straightforward to install. You don't need an expensive camera, a simple VGA one works as the limiting factor on resolution is your head unit, not the camera.

For bluetooth I think you need the Uconnect module, but not sure. Good luck.

#16 ·
DIY tips...

I am in the middle of slowly getting my backup camera installed and working.

First I picked up this handy adapter harness through Amazon for the factory head unit:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051XBNDY/

Then I hacked up the cable to cut out everything that I do not need and it now looks like this. I just need to solder everything up. The orange wire connects to the yellow wire and the black to the gray.

Though the adapter harness is well marked and you can figure out the video inputs and outputs pretty easily, I did find this video to be a handy reference to get a look at the back of the radio.

The local dealer wants $75 to enable the camera using the StarScan system.

#18 ·
While it may be "cleaner" to cut out all the extra harness wires, etc, I didn't. I may want to add other option in future, so I left my entire harness intact and just wrapped it up and tucked it out of the way. Wrapped the hard ends in foam to prevent rattles. It seems backwards when you do it this way, because the video cable is in the other end of the harness that just dangles, but it's all tied together and works just fine.

I convinced the dealer to reflash it for free, since I bought the Jeep from them (used); so I'm into a factory backup camera for under $40!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.