Which GPS - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 10-11-2007, 09:47 AM
gcg
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Which GPS

Does anyone know of a GPS that does a good job at routing on city streets and also works with topo maps?

Currently I use a small GPS receiver connected to a Sony Vaio laptop that I run both Microsoft Streets and Trips and the National Geographic TOPO! maps on. I can do trip planning with Streets and Trips, which has pretty good routing functionality and does real time tracking with the GPS. For off road use, I run the TOPO! maps and, again, do real time tracking with the GPS.

I use both functions fairly frequently and would like to find a dedicated GPS that incorporates both. So far, everything I've looked at seems to either do city street naviation or works with the manufacturer's topo maps, but not both. I'm wondering if anyone has found a GPS that does both well.

The Lowrance GlobalMap Baja 540C, for example, seems to do a good job with topo maps and does display city maps, but it doesn't appear to do routing on city streets. The iWay 600C, on the other hand, appears to do routing on city streets but doesn't appear to do anything with topo maps.

Any inputs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 Old 10-11-2007, 11:51 AM
Granite Guru
 
drbeddow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Klamath Falls Oregon
Posts: 138
Feedback: 0 reviews

I'm also very interested in something that does both. I think I saw something about a Garmin that did both but I can't for the life of me remember what it was.
drbeddow is offline  
post #3 of 26 Old 10-11-2007, 12:23 PM
gcg
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

I think that Garmin does have a model that does both, but it has a fairly small screen. I was hoping to find something with a screen large enough that you can navigate from it when using topo maps. I think this means something around 5" diagonal or there abouts.
post #4 of 26 Old 10-12-2007, 12:22 PM
Gib
Rock God
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: College Station, TX
Posts: 567
Feedback: 0 reviews

The Garmin 7200 is the one I have been looking at. A member on another forum did a install and it was pretty slick looking. Again you are limited to the Garmin topo maps, but it does both with a very large screen. He even used the output on the indash 6 disc dvd player to display on the aux input of his GPS.
Gib is offline  
post #5 of 26 Old 10-12-2007, 02:36 PM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 774
Feedback: 0 reviews

I have the garmin 2610. It can switch from city to topo and it has a 1 gig chip that I can load just about anything on.
igofshn is offline  
post #6 of 26 Old 10-15-2007, 02:43 PM
Broker by the Minute
 
MichaelW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cartoon City Nirvana
Posts: 3,827
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

I have the 276c its bigger and colorful for my old eyes. I have memory cards for topo and one for streets.
MichaelW is offline  
post #7 of 26 Old 10-18-2007, 04:15 PM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 73
Feedback: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to xxxxBert338
Magellan Crossover

I have the Magellan Crossover which has a 3.5 color screen and it has street and topo map. Not overly impressed with the topo but they say that they are coming out with a more detailed topo in the future.
xxxxBert338 is offline  
post #8 of 26 Old 10-18-2007, 04:43 PM
gcg
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Thanks to everyone for your inputs. I've decided to try something a little different. I've ordered a Samsung Q1U "ultra mobile PC". It has a 7" screen and is only about 9" X 5" X 1". It runs Windows XP so will allow me to use the National Geographic TOPO! series of topo maps and Microsoft streets and trips for city maps and routing. I can do real time tracking with both of those and the simple GPS receiver that I currently have.

RAM makes a car mount for this device so I should be able to mount it and have a relatively nice "GPS device" that does both topo and city maps as well as several other things.

Hope this all works out!
post #9 of 26 Old 10-20-2007, 12:01 AM
Gib
Rock God
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: College Station, TX
Posts: 567
Feedback: 0 reviews

You'll have to do a writeup and review of it when you get it finished.
Gib is offline  
post #10 of 26 Old 10-20-2007, 07:08 AM
Granite Guru
 
Gear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 145
Feedback: 1 reviews

gcg wrote
Quote:
Thanks to everyone for your inputs. I've decided to try something a little different. I've ordered a Samsung Q1U "ultra mobile PC". It has a 7" screen and is only about 9" X 5" X 1". It runs Windows XP so will allow me to use the National Geographic TOPO! series of topo maps and Microsoft streets and trips for city maps and routing. I can do real time tracking with both of those and the simple GPS receiver that I currently have.

RAM makes a car mount for this device so I should be able to mount it and have a relatively nice "GPS device" that does both topo and city maps as well as several other things.

Pictures Please of the install.

Justin

2006 Adventure Trailers Chaser #15
2007 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited(Sold)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Gear is offline  
post #11 of 26 Old 10-20-2007, 10:20 AM
gcg
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear View Post
gcg wrote


Pictures Please of the install.
The Samsung is supposed to arrive on Monday or Tuesday. It'll take me a little time to get everything set up. I'll probably try it out without the mount for a little while just to make sure it does what I want before drilling holes! I'll post a few pictures once I get it working and then after I mount it.
post #12 of 26 Old 12-14-2007, 06:43 AM
Granite Guru
 
93country's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Maple Rige BC
Posts: 123
Feedback: 0 reviews

I like the Garmin 60Cx hand held that I have. it is very versitile, but the screen may be a little small for some users. It is fine for me. It does have the ability to lay multiple maps over each other in layers so you can have the topo up top and the streets in the background, or vice versa. Good little unit.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
93country is offline  
post #13 of 26 Old 10-22-2008, 12:23 PM
Granite Guru
 
NYJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Long Island NY
Age: 31
Posts: 262
Feedback: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to NYJK
NYJK is offline  
post #14 of 26 Old 10-22-2008, 04:54 PM
Alec W
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93country View Post
I like the Garmin 60Cx hand held that I have. it is very versitile, but the screen may be a little small for some users. It is fine for me. It does have the ability to lay multiple maps over each other in layers so you can have the topo up top and the streets in the background, or vice versa. Good little unit.
That’s what I use. The display is small but that’s a benefit since I take it hiking and geocaching too.
post #15 of 26 Old 10-22-2008, 06:28 PM
JKowners Vendor
 
Woods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Costa Mesa, Ca.
Posts: 1,294
Feedback: 9 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg View Post
Does anyone know of a GPS that does a good job at routing on city streets and also works with topo maps?

Currently I use a small GPS receiver connected to a Sony Vaio laptop that I run both Microsoft Streets and Trips and the National Geographic TOPO! maps on. I can do trip planning with Streets and Trips, which has pretty good routing functionality and does real time tracking with the GPS. For off road use, I run the TOPO! maps and, again, do real time tracking with the GPS.

I use both functions fairly frequently and would like to find a dedicated GPS that incorporates both. So far, everything I've looked at seems to either do city street naviation or works with the manufacturer's topo maps, but not both. I'm wondering if anyone has found a GPS that does both well.

The Lowrance GlobalMap Baja 540C, for example, seems to do a good job with topo maps and does display city maps, but it doesn't appear to do routing on city streets. The iWay 600C, on the other hand, appears to do routing on city streets but doesn't appear to do anything with topo maps.

Any inputs?
I've look into this quite a bit, and here's what I've found.

The premier offroad GPS are by Lowrance. These are more geared toward offroad racing though, and they are large an bulky. I can't imagine how one would do a clean install in the JK.

Lowrance also makes a crossover GPS, called the XOG. It's similar to the Magellan crossover, but has better topo maps. search for magellan crossover lowrance xog and you'll come up with some good side by side reviews.

As NYJK posted, the best topo GPS available is the Garmin Oregon 400t. It uses topo maps to cast shadows on hill sides. This produces topo maps that are by far the easiest to see. At $600 I'm waiting till the competition puts something out. I figure in about 6 months, the price will be half of what it is. I'm hoping that Magellan integrates this technology into the Crossover.

Woods Storage Tub Enlargement Kit - Steering Stabilizer Relocation Kit - Evap Can Relocation Kit Muffler Relocation Kit - Tailgate Shock Kit
Buy Woods Kits at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Woods is offline  
post #16 of 26 Old 10-22-2008, 08:58 PM
Granite Guru
 
Lensman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Corona, Ca
Posts: 323
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods View Post
I've look into this quite a bit, and here's what I've found.

The premier offroad GPS are by Lowrance. These are more geared toward offroad racing though, and they are large an bulky. I can't imagine how one would do a clean install in the JK.

Lowrance also makes a crossover GPS, called the XOG. It's similar to the Magellan crossover, but has better topo maps. search for magellan crossover lowrance xog and you'll come up with some good side by side reviews.

As NYJK posted, the best topo GPS available is the Garmin Oregon 400t. It uses topo maps to cast shadows on hill sides. This produces topo maps that are by far the easiest to see. At $600 I'm waiting till the competition puts something out. I figure in about 6 months, the price will be half of what it is. I'm hoping that Magellan integrates this technology into the Crossover.
Hi Woods

Lowrance rep was at the ORW opening. I spent about an hour with him they do have a smaller version now. They have built in data and do street and waterways as well as take chips. I thought these were the bomb. Good luck with your decision. Here is the link. BTW around $299 or less......... This is on my short list.
http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products/Outdoors/XOG/

Rubicon Unlimited, Rescue Green, Warn bumper, Aux lighting, Warn Powerplant, Warn dif protecectors, Rock Hard Rear Bumper all accessories, 5.38, 37x12.50MT on 17"Moto Metals, Edelbrock Extreme Travel shocks, Russell ext S,S, brake lines, Superlift 4'' CAI, Magna Flow, Cobra CB, Staun deflators, Huskey mats, Grab Handles, set up to flat tow, Oil, tranny, shock, muffler & control arm skids, , Chrome, sils, grill inserts & light cages.
Lensman is offline  
post #17 of 26 Old 10-22-2008, 09:05 PM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Age: 41
Posts: 33
Feedback: 0 reviews
Nuvi 500

I have only had 3 different GPS's but this one is amazin. It is pricey but I am loving it. It comes preloaded w/city and pretty good topo's. I wish it had voice recognition but other than that it has been great. I turned off the voice directions. My jeep isn't power so I mounted on the dash between the vents. It has a 8 hour battery so switching cars is pretty easy.

Frogger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1guy is offline  
post #18 of 26 Old 10-23-2008, 03:36 AM
JKO Addict!
 
Dr.Dirty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Hesperia Ca
Posts: 8,620
Garage
Feedback: 21 reviews

im sure the garmin oregon is nice but i bought the garmin colorado whn it came out and it was real buggy it would freeze and you had to reload the maps i will stick to my 60csx for now and give the newer ones a few years to get perfected

www.jeepasylum.com
Dr.Dirty is offline  
post #19 of 26 Old 10-23-2008, 06:31 AM
TrailDuty.com
 
PhilD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,205
Feedback: 5 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods View Post
It's similar to the Magellan crossover, but has better topo maps.
I have a Crossover and the topo maps are worthless. They are only 90m and pretty much of no value on the trail. They originally said that 30m maps would be available on SD card (one of the reasons I bought it), but it never happened. The new AccuTerra maps will not work with the Crossover either. It does a good job at tracking and the waypoints work well, so it is useful on the trail, and of course it is a pretty decent street GPS too, and you can also use it for marine nav.
PhilD is offline  
post #20 of 26 Old 10-23-2008, 06:45 AM
TrailDuty.com
 
PhilD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,205
Feedback: 5 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods View Post
I'm hoping that Magellan integrates this technology into the Crossover.
Magellan seem to have abandoned development of of anything for the topo side of the Crossover, even the new v2 update does nothing for the topo stuff. They never released the 30m maps they boasted about when the Crossover was released. I'm guessing sales have been low on the unit and they just have no inclination to develop the topo features of it. Which is a pity as it was good idea.
PhilD is offline  
post #21 of 26 Old 10-23-2008, 07:03 AM
Rock God
 
mrsig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Davie, Fl
Posts: 769
Feedback: 0 reviews

I love my Garmin Jeep Trail Guide Navigation System with Topo. It is great for on and off the road and can be used out of the Jeep for up to 10 hours.
Unit closed

Unit open

07 JKU, To see my mods & Jeep in Action @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.
mrsig is offline  
post #22 of 26 Old 10-23-2008, 07:13 AM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Age: 41
Posts: 33
Feedback: 0 reviews
Nuvi 500 is Garmins shot at a crossover

The Nuvi 500 is Garmins shot at a crossover. I started to by the Magellan crossover a couple of years ago but it didn't meet my needs well enough. I believe the Magellan left bread crumbs which I like better than just a track like the Nuvi leaves. They sell upgraded 24k Topo's and National Park Topo's but I was bummed I couldn't use both at the same time. Here is a pic of the unit if anyone want pics of how I installed let me know.

Frogger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1guy is offline  
post #23 of 26 Old 10-23-2008, 09:11 AM
JKowners Vendor
 
Woods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Costa Mesa, Ca.
Posts: 1,294
Feedback: 9 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1guy View Post
The Nuvi 500 is Garmins shot at a crossover. I started to by the Magellan crossover a couple of years ago but it didn't meet my needs well enough. I believe the Magellan left bread crumbs which I like better than just a track like the Nuvi leaves. They sell upgraded 24k Topo's and National Park Topo's but I was bummed I couldn't use both at the same time. Here is a pic of the unit if anyone want pics of how I installed let me know.
Hey Jer, Good to see you posting up here.

Was just reading bout your new rear bumper, this morning.

Nice find on the GPS. I missed that one and it looks pretty nice. I think that's the best I've seen yet.

Woods Storage Tub Enlargement Kit - Steering Stabilizer Relocation Kit - Evap Can Relocation Kit Muffler Relocation Kit - Tailgate Shock Kit
Buy Woods Kits at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Woods is offline  
post #24 of 26 Old 10-24-2008, 04:25 PM
Granite Guru
 
08JKUnlimited's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cohutta, Georgia
Age: 36
Posts: 115
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsig View Post
I love my Garmin Jeep Trail Guide Navigation System with Topo. It is great for on and off the road and can be used out of the Jeep for up to 10 hours.
Unit closed

Unit open
Can you show me what the topo maps look like on this one? I'm looking to replace my older Garmin GPS V. I want a color one and one that looks good in the Jeep. Thanks

Josh

2011 Sahara Tan Unlimited Sport, 3.5" lift, 35" BFG KM2's, more to come
08JKUnlimited is offline  
post #25 of 26 Old 10-28-2008, 08:47 AM
Wheeler
 
KD6QZX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fullerton CA
Age: 52
Posts: 83
Feedback: 0 reviews

I use a Garmin 476. It has both street routing as well as topos as well as weather data with XM satalite. It is real easy to use and off road with topos, it shows all the way down to small hiking trials and in Colorado it shows cattle trails in some areas. ( though not much use for jeeping)
Attached Images
 
KD6QZX is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome