Aux Input on Radio - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 10-11-2007, 09:36 AM
gcg

Aux Input on Radio

The radio I have on my JK has a small "Aux" jack at the lower right hand corner and an "Aux" button next to it. The manual indicates that you can plug an MP3 player, cassette recorder, microphone, etc. into this jack and then use the radio's audio system to amplify/ play the output from the external device through the audio system.

I also have a Cobra 75 WX ST CB that has an "external speaker" jack that you can use to plug an external speaker into. The specs for this say that the external speaker should have 4 - 8 Ohms impedance and be able to handle at least 4 watts.

So, my question is does anyone know if I can connect the external speaker jack from the CB to the Aux input on the radio? I can't find any specs in the JK manual about the input impedance of the Aux jack and don't want to damange anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-19-2007, 02:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

there really wont be any impeadance on the jack because it runs through the factory amp, it should work fine

'91 YJ-woods beater-lift and stuff
'98 ZJ-5.9 lowered street jeep
'13 WK2-5.7 daily tow pig
post #3 of 13 Old 10-22-2007, 09:14 AM

Definitely can be, but it'll be in mono so you'll only hear it on one side of your jeep.
post #4 of 13 Old 10-22-2007, 09:19 AM
Broker by the Minute

Garage

You can get a mono to stereo adapter at Radio Shack.
post #5 of 13 Old 10-22-2007, 09:30 AM
gcg

Tanks for the inputs. It sounds like a simple external speaker would be the easier way to go on this.
post #6 of 13 Old 10-22-2007, 09:43 AM
Broker by the Minute

Garage

Gordon,

I have one or two in the garage I can dig up for you. Don't go buy one.

I have company coming on Wednesday for two weeks so I'm sure I;ll need to get out sometime during that time. I still have my SWR meter in the JK.
post #7 of 13 Old 10-22-2007, 09:46 AM
gcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelW View Post
Gordon,

I have one or two in the garage I can dig up for you. Don't go buy one.

I have company coming on Wednesday for two weeks so I'm sure I;ll need to get out sometime during that time. I still have my SWR meter in the JK.
That sounds good. I will be away on Wednesday but should be around most of the rest of the time.

Thanks!
Gordon
post #8 of 13 Old 10-22-2007, 09:55 AM
Rock God

DO NOT plug the output of the cb into the input of the radio without an attenuator. You will overload the front end of the aux amp and all the smoke will be let out. Input impedence doesn't matter in this case, power does. Even at minimum volume you will more than likely have excessive signal.

/jl

Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
post #9 of 13 Old 11-14-2007, 10:01 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to RedRockJK Send a message via Yahoo to RedRockJK

I've been running a mono-stereo adapter from my Cobra 75 WXST to the aux input of my head unit for a couple of months now with no ill effects. It sounds and works great.

2007 Rubicon Unlimited: MODS: Superior 5.13 Gears, Black Diamond 3" Lift, 1" M.O.R.E. Body Lift, FT Rear Adj. Trackbar, 15x8 ION 170 wheels, 37x12.50x15 Goodyear MT/R's, Superwinch EPi9.0, Smittybilt SRC front bumper, IGGEE Black/Charcoal seat covers, relocated muffler (Magnaflow 11376).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 13 Old 12-03-2007, 08:16 PM

Some say yes, some say no. Which is correct. Hate to let the magic smoke out of my rig.
post #11 of 13 Old 12-03-2007, 08:47 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to RedRockJK Send a message via Yahoo to RedRockJK

Mine is still that way and is perfectly fine. You aren't going to smoke anything. And if you do, isn't it still under warranty?

2007 Rubicon Unlimited: MODS: Superior 5.13 Gears, Black Diamond 3" Lift, 1" M.O.R.E. Body Lift, FT Rear Adj. Trackbar, 15x8 ION 170 wheels, 37x12.50x15 Goodyear MT/R's, Superwinch EPi9.0, Smittybilt SRC front bumper, IGGEE Black/Charcoal seat covers, relocated muffler (Magnaflow 11376).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 13 Old 12-05-2007, 09:33 AM
Alec W

I have a cheap FM transmitter I was going to try instead of taking up the aux jack. Another thing I was thinking about was splicing into the speaker wire in the front so I could listen to the radio and the CB at the same time.
post #13 of 13 Old 12-09-2007, 02:51 PM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec W View Post
Another thing I was thinking about was splicing into the speaker wire in the front so I could listen to the radio and the CB at the same time.
The wiring info for the front speaker is here:

CigBlue Bluetooth System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode