homebrew HID off road lights and they ROCK! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 04-14-2008, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom
homebrew HID off road lights and they ROCK!

The front of my Jeep looks like I own stock in a light company, but for a reason.
I spend a lot of time in the middle of nowhere at night catching rattlesnakes so my lights are important to me.

Anyway, I was walking through the local Harbor Freight and in the clearance pile was a HID upgrade kit for 9006 headlights marked down from $160 to $80 so I figured what the hell, I though I would try to adapt them over to a pair of my $17 cheapie off road lights.
A little quick fabrication to make the bulbs fit the housings, pulled the grill and found a couple of places to tuck the ballasts away then swapped them with the lights on my winch hoop.
They're bright as HELL!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-14-2008, 10:28 PM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to Big A

Looking good!

I am wanting to add some extra lights on mine also!

Phase 1 Complete. Sold JK
Phase 2 Complete. Bought a Tow Rig
Phase 3 on-hold. Buying a trail rig. Thinking a TJ or XJ
post #3 of 7 Old 04-17-2008, 01:28 PM
Wheeler

More info please...
post #4 of 7 Old 06-18-2008, 05:14 PM
Granite Guru

nice, how did you mount the lights to the tube @ the bumper? Just drill holes straight thru?

H3 Lux with Adventure Package

Gone but not forgotten:
2009 Black Rubicon Unlimited
2007 Silver Rubicon Unlimited
post #5 of 7 Old 06-18-2008, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

I made a mount and drilled and tapped 2 holes in the hoop to bolt it on

Quote:
post #6 of 7 Old 06-18-2008, 09:44 PM
JKO Addict!

Venon- very nice mod. I have 4 HID lights on the top of my sandrail that I paid $450 each for a couple of years ago! They have been coming down in price, but still expensive. HK also sells some cheapie HID offroad lights that I am going to look into.

You may have said before, but tell us the story on you and rattlesnakes- hobby? business? whatcha got going?

We come across alot of snakes out here, too. When I was a teenager, there was a guy in town here that would pay me $5 a piece for 'em. Some days I could catch 5-6-8 rattlers. I was a rich 14 yr old! He would make hatbands, belts, etc. I still have a couple of skins that I did way back in the '70s!

HUNDY
'11 VIRGIN 2 dr JK

MILITARY TIRES
Hi Tread MT 37x12.50x16.5 $150 ea!
post #7 of 7 Old 06-18-2008, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100dollarman View Post
You may have said before, but tell us the story on you and rattlesnakes- hobby? business? whatcha got going?
I'm a herpetology supervisor for the zoo in abilene, texas.
Been specializing in venomous snakes and crocodiles for just under 20 years, but I have a few hundred animals in the collection at the zoo ranging from critically endangered frogs to giant pythons, cobras, fish, invertebrates, etc.

As far as the lights, check your local HF and see if they have any HID headlight upgrade kits left on clearance. A little bit of retrofit fabrication and you can upgrade most any lights with them.

I'm thinkin if I can find the cash anytime soon, I may have to pick up that M416 to drag behind the jeep, got an idea for a fliptop camper kinda rig in mind

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode