Mounting Relays? - : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 04-06-2008, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Send a message via AIM to stevedolce Send a message via Skype™ to stevedolce
Mounting Relays?

I've now added fog lights and driving lights..the relays are zip tied to the firewall of my engine bay. i'm gonna add more stuff(which means more relays). does anyone make a relay holder? is there a more elegant solution to mount these things? or is the world of jeeping a lot of zip ties and electric tape?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 7 Old 04-06-2008, 07:41 PM
Alec W

I installed an aux relay/fuse box that I got from a UK company. http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.e...e/homepage.php

First I made a mounting bracket that will sit between the front of the battery and the factory fuse box under the hood.

Itís held on by the 10mm bolt that holds the battery in place but itís a tight fit and solid.

Pic of the mounting bracket in place

Relay housing in place

I ran trigger wires a power wire (that will be hot all the time) and a couple power wires that are live when the ignition is on.

Added some LED switches to the center stack

The two relays shown are triggered by the ignition via the M9 fuse in the Jeep fuse box. I cut a notch in the Jeep fuse box for the two trigger wires. M9 is the fuse for front heated seats and unused.

The two circuits are for a 200W inverter I installed in the center console and the other is unused but will be for things like map lights, extra 12 volt sockets etc. The 40 amp fuse is shared to protect the two relays and each relay has a 30 amp fuse for the output wires.

The 20 amp fuse is for a hot all the time wire that powers the switches and my CB and GARMIN GPS (triggered by one of the switches).

Also I ran 6 gauge directly to the battery and grounded all the relays (see the split tube coming out the back of the relay box).

I wired 4 trigger wires from 4 of the switches to the remaining 4 relays, and powered them all. The box is easy to unbolt and flip upside down so when I am ready to wire things like lights it should be cake.

I did this a while back an have since added some underbody lights and my winch controler.

post #3 of 7 Old 07-25-2008, 05:37 AM
Granite Guru

that's nice lookin' - clean job!

H3 Lux with Adventure Package

Gone but not forgotten:
2009 Black Rubicon Unlimited
2007 Silver Rubicon Unlimited
post #4 of 7 Old 07-29-2008, 11:35 PM
Granite Guru

Nice Job!

Rubicon Unlimited, Rescue Green, Warn bumper, Aux lighting, Warn Powerplant, Warn dif protecectors, Rock Hard Rear Bumper all accessories, 5.38, 37x12.50MT on 17"Moto Metals, Edelbrock Extreme Travel shocks, Russell ext S,S, brake lines, Superlift 4'' CAI, Magna Flow, Cobra CB, Staun deflators, Huskey mats, Grab Handles, set up to flat tow, Oil, tranny, shock, muffler & control arm skids, , Chrome, sils, grill inserts & light cages.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-08-2008, 04:22 PM

I stuffed 'em all in a 4x6 project box. And use a Cat5 cable to the switches.

Sorry bout the crappy phone pics

JKforum and Eddie blow!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'07 2dr., Rescue Green, D44's, 5.13's, OBA, Teraflex lift, 36" Iroks, Tmax winch.... and some other crap.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-09-2008, 06:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Newark Electronics sells some Tyco Bases that attach together and mount with screws. Then all your added relays are plug and play.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-10-2008, 05:58 AM
Rock God
Send a message via Yahoo to kerryp Send a message via Skype™ to kerryp

Go to your local electronics store and ask them if they have any din rails. The rail mounts where you want it and the relay base snaps to the rail and keeps all of your relays in a neat aligned row.

Here is some information on DIN rails and so you can see what it looks like:

Scroll down to Page F6 on this pdf and look at the image on the right and you will see the relay base and how it mounts to the DIN rail. Most good relay bases offer this.

The good thing about using dins is that they alos offer din rail mounted terminal strips for connecting wires.
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode