JK kill switch - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 02-09-2008, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

JK kill switch

I will like to install a simple kill switch to deter any sort of thiefery. My wife's friend just had her F250 stolen out of her work parking lot and she will like to avoid something similar.

Before I dive into the dashboard, will someone please steer me in the best direction. The FSM hasn't arrived yet...

what I have in mind is a switch that will interrupt the ASD relay (does this thing have one??) or atleast the coil power, but will allow it to crank.

thanks!

-Tall Peter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
--
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-10-2008, 08:37 AM

If you have an auto, you can put a SPST switch in the signal wire that lets the ECU know that the tranny is in Park or Neutral. With the switch in the Open position, the ECU will never let the car crank.
post #3 of 19 Old 02-10-2008, 09:48 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolTech View Post
If you have an auto, you can put a SPST switch in the signal wire that lets the ECU know that the tranny is in Park or Neutral. With the switch in the Open position, the ECU will never let the car crank.
You can also do 2 switches in parallel. Make one a permanent SPST toggle or rocker switch that is very hidden and maybe difficult to get to. Make a second one that is a magnet controlled or even a membrane switch or the like, that you have to "activate" when you turn the key.

That way, the switches stays stealth and when you are running about town you can use the magnet switch to start. When you go to the dealer or wheeling or something, you can flip the hidden SPST toggle and have it crank without doing anything else and so that no one really knows about the other switch except you. Sort of a valet system for the switch.
post #4 of 19 Old 02-10-2008, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

We have an auto. I like the NSS idea-- any idea which wire it is (color). I'm sure it will be near the gear shift.

Paragon-- I was thinking soomething alon the same lines-- just have to figure the logistics of placing the switches. Are those magnetic switches fairly common? We have an excellent electronics store near by--

-Tall Peter

--
~
~
~
post #5 of 19 Old 02-10-2008, 11:38 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep-Power View Post
We have an auto. I like the NSS idea-- any idea which wire it is (color). I'm sure it will be near the gear shift.

Paragon-- I was thinking soomething alon the same lines-- just have to figure the logistics of placing the switches. Are those magnetic switches fairly common? We have an excellent electronics store near by--
Just ask for some type of magnetic reed switch. Or google it and see what there are for options that would work.
post #6 of 19 Old 02-10-2008, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

We were going over it today-- we are going to go with a toggle switch.

I am not going to look to work with the NSS-- the engie won't crank when that is utilized. I want the thing to crank but not start-- a cranking but not starting car always grabs attention.

I need to get some more info on the wiring of this thing-- has anyone seen a schematic of the ASD (automatic shut down) relay.

-Tall Peter

--
~
~
~
post #7 of 19 Old 02-10-2008, 05:15 PM
Wheeler

You might be able to tap into the SKREEM wiring. When I had a problem with my remote start not sensing the SKREEM, it would start and immediately stall.

Jeff
post #8 of 19 Old 02-10-2008, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyDV View Post
You might be able to tap into the SKREEM wiring. When I had a problem with my remote start not sensing the SKREEM, it would start and immediately stall.
Jeffery-- please elaborate on the "SKREEM" stuff-- I'm still getting famaillr with the '91 OBD1 system

-Tall Peter

--
~
~
~
post #9 of 19 Old 02-10-2008, 06:56 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep-Power View Post
Jeffery-- please elaborate on the "SKREEM" stuff-- I'm still getting famaillr with the '91 OBD1 system
The JK's have transponder keys ( they wont start unless the correct key is in the ignition.) The SKREEM is part of that system. If you remove the palstic from around the steering column you will see a black plastic ring around where the key goes. A harness goes into that, if you disconnect it the Jeep won't start. I would think you could but a switch on one of those wires. I can e mail you a PDF file of my remote start instructions which shows this system and components.

Jeff
post #10 of 19 Old 02-10-2008, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Jeffery-- PM sent for the PDF!! -- thanks!

-Tall Peter

--
~
~
~
post #11 of 19 Old 02-11-2008, 07:52 AM
Broker by the Minute

Garage

It seems this would be easy if you just figure out what casues the stall bug, then just force the condition. They won't be able to get very far.

Sorry couldn't resist.
post #12 of 19 Old 02-11-2008, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I'm with you Michael-- I'm sure there are atleast half a dozen circuts that will cause it to not fire when they are interrupted-- I just need to find out which ones they are!

-Tall Peter

--
~
~
~
post #13 of 19 Old 03-10-2008, 08:51 PM
Wheeler

Yeah, or the evap cannister sensor... just put a switch on that, since it won't run if anything happens to the cannister.

Jeep Green 07 Sahara 4dr,

"America wasn't founded so that we could all be better. America was founded so we could all be anything we damned well pleased.

-P. J. O'Rourke ."
post #14 of 19 Old 03-11-2008, 02:56 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

why are you that worried about it with the sentry key? im guessing if someone can get around the senrty key they will figure out whatever you added in there

'91 YJ-woods beater-lift and stuff
'98 ZJ-5.9 lowered street jeep
'13 WK2-5.7 daily tow pig
post #15 of 19 Old 09-12-2010, 07:02 AM
Rock Gliding Guru

Garage

Reviving an old thread...

If you people use "kill switches" you always have to remember to filp it off when you leave the Jeep...
Not user friendly.

I have an Active RFID switch, which consists of a wireless controller connected to some "vital" circuit in the Jeep.
I also have a key fob on my key ring.
When you get within range, configurable from 5' to 400', the circuit on the controller closes and you can start the engine.
When your key fob is not within range the engine will never start.

More practical than a switch IMO.

You install it and never think about it again.

07 Unlimited Rubi Rescue Green/Auto/pwr
post #16 of 19 Old 09-13-2010, 08:03 AM
Rock God

man, guess i lucked out. mine came with one installed from the factory on my auto tranny unlimited X. started working after about 35k miles. mine is totally custom. you don't have to flip a swtich. it activates automatically. to turn on the heep, you have to push the shifter up and hold it there while turning the key

either my parking sensor going out or it got loose and only makes contact when you hold the shifter forward in Park.

08 Unlimited: Lift, Wheels, Tires, Winch ... and an ever shrinking bank account
post #17 of 19 Old 09-13-2010, 08:22 AM
Rock Gliding Guru

Garage

Hah, good one! These little gremlins make for great security devices...

07 Unlimited Rubi Rescue Green/Auto/pwr
post #18 of 19 Old 09-19-2010, 08:30 PM
Granite Guru

I have a buddy that is a manager of auto claims at Allstate and says folks who know what they are doing can get around the transponder keys easy. I guess crooks just bring their own computer when they boost a car--with the Jeep and a non-locking hood it might be pretty easy. So, don't believe that the Jeep isn't something that can be stolen.

I have a kill switch on mine tied to the fuel pump. Cool thing is that there is enough fuel and pressure in the line to start the engine, but it runs rough. As soon as it goes into gear and the driver gives it gas, it dies. It acts like there's something mechanically wrong (which there is).

A thief isn't going to stick around to trouble-shoot....

-Randy

2007 JKU (ex)Rubicon w/bolt-ons: LS3 / 6L80E Synergy Long Arm 4.5" Lift 40"s Dana 60s PSC Hydro etc.
post #19 of 19 Old 09-20-2010, 08:23 AM
JKO Addict!

^ Thats what i was thinking. Sounds like a good route.

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode