Which Trans - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 11-15-2007, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Which Trans

I just ordered an Unlimited Rubicon, my first jeep, and I keep changing my mind abuot the trans, manual or auto. I've changed the order one time already. Any advice would be helpfull. Right now it's a stick.
Thanks,
conhel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-15-2007, 04:27 PM
Gib
Rock God

This is something nobody else can answer for you. There are many different OPINIONS on the matter, but it really boils down to which you prefer.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-15-2007, 07:47 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL

Gib has the only answer.

Over the years I have seen this question asked a million times for offroad whether it was a wranngler, XJ or whatever. I have seen some of the threads get pretty long debating different things. Including how you will be using it.

I went through the same debate when getting my JK. There are so many pros and cons to both it did not help me asking so I just went a drove a few.

here is a couple

Auto:
More expensive
Can get too hot offroad
Can get damaged by water offroad
Need to change fluid
Not as much "driver" control
Waayy better if you need to drive in traffic jams (like me in Seattle)
Some people allows more control in certain offroad situations, like if you are stoppped facing uphil on an incline and if you jolt or slip back you would roll type of thing

Manual:
Cheaper
No fluid
Need to replace clutch (and some drivers EAT these offroad)
Can take more of a beating
Able to use the egine to brake going downhill
Do not need to worry about temp
Most people prefer for towing
More user imput when driving
Some people say it is not a "real" jeep without a manual

Blah blah blah, I gt bored even writing this list, lol, it goes on forever

The moral is this. I bought an auto. The reason was based on driving a couple. I felt the auto was more sluggish and I have always had manuals. However, I am coming from a high performance car and this thig just wfelt sloppy with a manual. It takes forever for RPMs to drop and the clutch was just so soft and no defined engagment point. I know this can all be changed but I like my point-and-gas wheeling now!

I am happy with my choice

Last edited by WTF_LOL; 11-15-2007 at 07:51 PM.
post #4 of 8 Old 11-15-2007, 08:34 PM
JKowners Vendor

i went with the auto also because of city driving, i have done a lot of wheeling this year with it and love it, just my opinion

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The best beer cooler in the world will always be the edge of your favorite river."
post #5 of 8 Old 11-15-2007, 09:23 PM
Granite Guru

Only you can make this decision. I drive in traffic and have no issues wheeling with auto. Good luck with your desicion
post #6 of 8 Old 11-16-2007, 06:09 AM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to RedRockJK Send a message via Yahoo to RedRockJK

Get what YOU are happy with, that's the only answer. That being said, I prefer an auto. I do a lot of wheeling, and with the auto I have an easier time through the really technical trails and hill climbs than I would have with a stick. It boils down to what you like.

FWIW, if I were you I would make your order reflect exactly how you 1st ordered it. If you 1st ordered it with an auto, get the auto. If you 1st ordered it with a stick, get the stick. Usually your 1st instinct is the best on something like that. I changed colors on mine twice when I ordered it, and am very glad I changed back to my initial order what it was all said and done.

2007 Rubicon Unlimited: MODS: Superior 5.13 Gears, Black Diamond 3" Lift, 1" M.O.R.E. Body Lift, FT Rear Adj. Trackbar, 15x8 ION 170 wheels, 37x12.50x15 Goodyear MT/R's, Superwinch EPi9.0, Smittybilt SRC front bumper, IGGEE Black/Charcoal seat covers, relocated muffler (Magnaflow 11376).

post #7 of 8 Old 11-16-2007, 06:14 AM
Rock God

I bought the auto because it is better onthe rocks and where I wheel, there isn't any mud ( I hate mud). It is also easier on your equippment because you are not banging it around as much. Crawling is easier.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-16-2007, 06:23 AM
Wheeler

Send a message via AIM to michaelkern Send a message via Skype™ to michaelkern

Just my .02 worth. I drove a manual transmission for years and decided when I bought a new vehicle it would be an automatic. A sales guy told me if it's a jeep it has to be a manual or it's not a real jeep.I told him I would just go buy a real jeep from someone who believes my wishes mean something.

2008 Black 4-door Unlimited X All Stock but saving up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode