Talk to me about babies and lifted Jeeps - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 17Likes
  • 1 Post By Marcy
  • 6 Post By StubEXrube
  • 1 Post By aqualungs
  • 5 Post By ExWrench
  • 3 Post By Marcy
  • 1 Post By redneck ron

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 05-18-2017, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to Marcy
Talk to me about babies and lifted Jeeps

My husband and I are expecting our first child later this year. All I have driven
for the last 9 or so years was a Jeep. Lately everyone is telling us I don't want it anymore and we should go buy a car. Which is starting to get on my nerves. Does anyone have experience with babies and lifted Jeeps? How big of a pain was it? I was a nanny and occasionally had to use my 2 door instead of the car provided to me during the day. I figure if I did it with a 2 door then a 4 door is no problem.

Am I kidding myself? I really don't want to get rid of my Jeep. I also really don't want a 3rd car payment

Any input would be great!
aqualungs likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 05-18-2017, 05:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i once had a sweet 2 door rubi, bought brand new in oct of 06, built it up the way I wanted, went wheeling all the time, did cool , fun stuff, then my wife got pregnant , well we went shopping for the smallest baby seat we could find and bought it. Was a huge pain in the ass to get it in and out of the back seat , now this was a pretty lame build of a jeep by todays standards, small lift and 35's. but still very hard to get the seat into the base that was belted in the jeep, so off goes my 2 door for a 4 door, little easier to get the seat in the back with 35's , kept it for a few years, took the kids wheeling, tjey didn't like it yet, traded the 4 door in on a grand Cherokee and bought a YJ to wheel with. moral of the story, wish I kept the 2 door and used my wifes car for everything or bought a cheap car to take the kids in when I needed to.

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #3 of 23 Old 05-18-2017, 05:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Congrats on the impending kiddo! I wish you both good health.

“It isn't so much that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so many things that aren't so.”― Ronald Reagan
post #4 of 23 Old 05-18-2017, 05:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Keep the Jeep. Putting the kid in the car seat will be much easier. Once he/she gets bigger you'll appreciate the room.

MikeP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 23 Old 05-18-2017, 05:41 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Congratulations Marcy. I am a grandpa with a JKUR and my daughter and her daughter are temporarily living with us. She's 3-1/2 yrs old sits in the car seat behind paw-paw so she can kick every once and a while. We've experienced no problems with the grandchild as far as safety is concerned but there is the hassle of moving the car seat from one vehicle to another which will end Saturday with the purchase of another car seat for the my wife's pickup. I wouldn't ride her in the Jeep with the doors off because in her case she's knows how to strap herself in.....and out. My daughter doesn't like to place her in back of the driver seat because she can't see what's going on, so passenger rear is best for her. Before ya'll go out and buy a seat, check this link out. Good luck. Hope this allows you to keep your Jeep. I see mother and son/daughter racing team at the Hammers.

Get a Car Seat Checked | National CPS Certification

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015
post #6 of 23 Old 05-18-2017, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

I only read the title but to be clear.. Most babies should not drive lifted Jeeps. Please... do NOT afford them that opportunity.

Congrats to you and Casey, Marcy!!

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #7 of 23 Old 05-18-2017, 07:03 PM
Wheeler

Keep the Jeep. Kids love Jeeps. You'll be that cool mom that drives a lifted Jeep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Banshee likes this.
post #8 of 23 Old 05-18-2017, 07:28 PM
Lord of the thighs

I've had my Unlimited since my little guy was born. He's now 18mos old. He loves the Jeep. We go to Folsom lake all the time and urban wheel around the beaches. The cargo area makes for a great place to play, eat, snooze and get changed. I have a Recaro Rally car seat, that, while on the large side, fits no problem. Prior to that, I had that yuppie Orbit car seat, which also fit with no issues.

When we are walking around the yard, he always points at the Jeep and makes brbrbrbrbrrrrr sounds and says "dada!". I love it. The back seat of my JKU is full of toys, books, missing socks and and empty food pouches. You'll learn to get used to that part pretty quick.

The only issues I run into are:
- When putting the wee Jeeper in, I have to kinda wiggle him over the side of the seat making sure he does not bop his head on the roll bar plastic crap.
- The passenger seat needed to be slid up a bit to accommodate the car seat.
- On hot days, I'm always careful to make sure plenty of cool air gets in back.
- Barfed up milk on black leather is permanent if you don't clean it up pretty quick.
- If you're packing out a full diaper, they have this annoying tendency to roll under the rear seat, only to make themselves odoriferously known a few days later

The JKU isn't my daily driver, but I think it's his favorite vehicle to ride in.
I vote you keep the Jeep.
post #9 of 23 Old 05-18-2017, 07:37 PM
Random Dude

(Because Chit Chat )

Talk to me about babies and lifted Jeeps

Similarities:
  • They both will cost you a lot of time
  • They both will cost you a lot of money
  • They both will take you to unexpected places
  • They both will get crap on your clothes unexpectedly
  • They both bring intrinsic rewards that others may not understand
  • Many folks have excessive enthusiasm about both
  • The aftermarket is full of accessories for both
  • Some people cannot stop talking about theirs
  • Seeing yours almost always brightens up your day

Differences:
  • Babies rarely run out of gas. Jeeps, not so much

But, seriously, congratulations!

Oh, and keep the Jeep unless you don't want to.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room

<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #10 of 23 Old 05-19-2017, 12:46 AM
Where's my coffee?

Garage

Hi Marcy, first, congratulations on the addition to your family! Your life has changed forever, and in my experience it will be for the better.

I have 4 daughters ranging from 26 to 16. The first 2 were raised in the back seat of a 1980 CJ-7, but I had to sell it when the 3rd came along because you just can't put 3 kids in the back of a CJ. I didn't have the JKU until after they were teenagers, so I have no experience with little ones in a JK, but as you suggest, a 4 door can't help but make it easier. That's got to be a big part of the reason they designed them, for families.

There has always been a perception of Jeeps that they are inherently unsafe. When I got my CJ, the "rollover issue" was all over the news and it wasn't long before we saw those stupid looking wide track CJs. There was this almost hysteria where people acted like they would just spontaneously flip over, but the problem was the bozos trying to drive them like sports cars. You've driven your JK enough to know what and what not to do.

My two older kids, especially the younger of the two, STILL talk about how much they loved riding in the Jeep, especially with the top and doors off. Yes, I transported my babies and toddlers in an open CJ. They survived and they have great memories. It would be a shame to deprive your family of that just because of a bunch of nervous Nancys who are probably going to turn out to be helicopter moms. You can't protect your kids from everything, and shouldn't! Part of being a good parent is having the judgment to know when to protect them, when to let them learn a valuable lesson, and when to just have fun. Jeeps are fun. Keep the Jeep. Your kid will thank you later!

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:

Last edited by UnlimiDozer; 05-19-2017 at 12:49 AM.
post #11 of 23 Old 05-19-2017, 05:38 AM
Cod
Mall Crawl Champ!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod

Congratz on the preggers!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
We liked you better when we didn't know you. If you just fucked off we could go back to not giving a shit about you.
post #12 of 23 Old 05-19-2017, 05:41 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Congrats Marcy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #13 of 23 Old 05-19-2017, 10:41 AM
Granite Guru

Marcy congrats!!

If you have a 4 door, definitely keep it, it works great even with littlest ones and easy getting in and out. We always had jeeps and my wife loved when our little troublemakers would go in the jeep, much easier access without having to bend up and down.

The only time she did not dig having a jeep was the end of the first pregnancy. Her jeep was lifted on long arms about 5” and it was just a bit tougher for her getting in and out. During that time, I ended up dropping the height (low preggo center of gravity yo!) what made it easier to get up in the Jeep. We ended up getting her aa Liberty (yiikeess!) and a Grand Cherokee after, and was super comfy.

As far as wheeling with kids, the girls have been wheeling since they were about 9 months. The doctor recommended waiting until 9 months so the neck has better muscle support, but we have had friends wheeling with super little babies without issues (you need to have good neck protection for them).

As far as carseats, we went through a shitload, but the best baby car seat I recommend is this one Radiant RXT, which you can use from newborn all the way to booster for a 7 year old. Not sure why but this pic makes me want to make babies again 

Child Safety - Catching Up (with Katie)

Gui

post #14 of 23 Old 05-19-2017, 11:16 AM
Rock God

Garage

Every baby needs a Jeep

Kevin
post #15 of 23 Old 05-19-2017, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Thank you so much guys! I knew I could count on you to say the Jeep will work. I've already told Casey that he will probably have to trade me vehicles towards the end of the pregnancy but I work from home so it wouldn't need to be every day.

As far as car seats, I am picking the baby seat for now and he plans on getting the baby a Sparco one in a year or 2

Jeep or no Jeep our kid will be wheeling in no time. We also have a Bronco.
Attached Images

post #16 of 23 Old 05-19-2017, 12:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
Thank you so much guys! I knew I could count on you to say the Jeep will work. I've already told Casey that he will probably have to trade me vehicles towards the end of the pregnancy but I work from home so it wouldn't need to be every day.

As far as car seats, I am picking the baby seat for now and he plans on getting the baby a Sparco one in a year or 2

That Bronco looks amazing!
aqualungs likes this.

“It isn't so much that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so many things that aren't so.”― Ronald Reagan
post #17 of 23 Old 05-19-2017, 01:00 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post

Drooling!!!! Our trip out to Colorado there was one in the Hotel Parking lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #18 of 23 Old 05-19-2017, 03:30 PM
Rock God

I had a TJ when our first 2 were in baby seats. It can be a bit of a pain, but when the top was off we just put them in over the side. Once they were running around by themselves, they just climbed up the tyre & in over the side by preference.

Then went to a JKU with the 3rd for the extra seat. Getting a kid tied into their seat in the middle can be a bit of a pain, but that is the same no matter what you drive. With the 2" lift it has, it was easier getting them into the JKU than a normal car as their is less bending over, so better on the back! (And I have 2 fucked discs in my lower back...)

The youngest, (9 now), will still climb in over the door, when the tube doors are on. (She's also the one that climbs the tree out the back of my house until she can look down on the roof of the 2 storey house, and is thus the one referred to as "Monkey Girl".)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone7
When you die, you see your life going by in a flash.

Steve Jobs didn't - Apple doesn't support Flash.
This message has been reviewed & approved by the NSA, Google and Microsoft.
post #19 of 23 Old 05-19-2017, 04:05 PM

Garage

I brought our newborn home from the hospital in our 1989 YJ rag top.
As she grew older she LOVED the JEEP. We all were sad when I sold that one. Since then we have owned two more. I would think with the four door you should be fine. Imagine climbing in the back seat with a baby like we did. Congratulations on the new JEEP fan and best of luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2011 JK Sport
Teraflex leveling kit
LT 295/70-17 Nitto Terra Grapplers
post #20 of 23 Old 05-21-2017, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

The Bronco is so fun to drive around town! It was Casey's first vehicle so it's staying in our family forever. I tell him it will be our child's in 16 years but he doesn't believe me
post #21 of 23 Old 05-23-2017, 06:47 AM
Rock God

All great responses.

I am the same with everyone here. Keep the Jeep. When my wife and I got married 6 years ago, a month after I wanted a new vehicles. Settled on a 2 door Jeep. Our plan was to wait a few years before having kids to do some traveling. Well, you know how well those plans worked out? 6 weeks, by July (got married May 14th) she was pregnant. It was probably those funs nights in the back of the 2 door (tricky yet fulfilling positions) that did the trick.

Took my first home in the back of the 2 door. Took my second home in the back of the 2 door as well. Yes, the infant seats are definitely hard in a Jeep, but if you want you can always make it work. Now they are in boosters (a little early for my 3 year old, but he is TALL) and that makes all the difference. They buckle themselves in as well. It's a little precarious when they are sleeping in booster though. Top off season makes it even better as they climb over the sides.

The only "safety" my wife wanted on the Jeep was half doors up front. So the plastic Strike Force doors work awesome. If I did have a 4 door, i would definitely get halfers for the back.

But the Jeep was not the only vehicle we had during this time. We got my wife a Edge when she was close to having the first. This was truly the vehicle of most the adventures/commuting with the kiddos. Bigger back seat, lower to the ground, 4 doors and a trunk space to fit a lot of kid crap (diaper bag, stroller, books, changing station, etc).

I tell my wife to this day, I would trade the 2 door in for a 4 door so she can get what she wants, but it falls on deaf ears. The 2 door is now part of the family and it will be my daughters when she is 16 (in 11 years).

As far as kiddos, my daughter loves it more than my son. If there is a choice, she choose the Jeep (preferably top off) and he choose the Edge.

2010 2 door manual sport
post #22 of 23 Old 05-23-2017, 08:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

for us the 4 dr sucks with a car seat. At least with me driving, i have to pull the drivers seat forward to give the car seat room and that leaves me with no available gangster lean to the drivers seat. Frenchy has to have the car seat on the drivers side for some reason. We have the graco with the click in base. It is doable but not ideal, but we have a huge 5 month old wearing 18 month old clothes and he is a heavy little fucker. Plus Frenchy has to have the jogging stroller instead of a smaller maclaren stroller that we have, and that takes up all the cargo area. Luckily we have an excursion with plenty of space that we use together.

Congrats on the new addition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDrinken View Post
Dirty Minion for life™.:the finger:
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiCajun View Post
The fact that there is some Fag in you should be upsetting to say the least.
post #23 of 23 Old 05-23-2017, 10:56 AM
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchlayer View Post
for us the 4 dr sucks with a car seat. At least with me driving, i have to pull the drivers seat forward to give the car seat room and that leaves me with no available gangster lean to the drivers seat. Frenchy has to have the car seat on the drivers side for some reason. We have the graco with the click in base. It is doable but not ideal, but we have a huge 5 month old wearing 18 month old clothes and he is a heavy little fucker. Plus Frenchy has to have the jogging stroller instead of a smaller maclaren stroller that we have, and that takes up all the cargo area. Luckily we have an excursion with plenty of space that we use together.

Congrats on the new addition
I've had no problem with the car seat in my jku. I didn't even have to move the seats. We've got the snugride35 and base, whoever makes that. Of course, I don't gangster lean and my little girl is just six weeks old as of today. But, I'm 6'1" and still have plenty of legroom.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode