Tired of Negative Nancy's... Real Feedback Please - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 74 Old 04-17-2017, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Tired of Negative Nancy's... Real Feedback Please

Sorry for yet another post on a lot of the same things, but this time I'm trying to condense into one post.

OK... so everyone has an opinion (as you all will too, I know) on the mods I'm having done to the Jeep. So, I come here yet again looking for real, honest feedback. I'm looking for someone who has a newer unlimited with some (or all) of the same/similar mods that I'm having done. My Jeep is my daily driver and I would like to do some mild off roading, but I have yet to do so.

2.5" TF coil/spring lift (NOT the Budget Boost)
35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3s with spare
17" Pro-Comp Helldorado wheels
TF HD Adjustable Spare Tire Carrier
TF Explorer front bumper with hoop

My brother has a 2000 TJ with either a 3" or 3 1/2" lift and 33s. He claims my Jeep is going to ride like shit and I'm going to be miserable. Everything from death wobble to slow off the line because I'm running 3.21s and the steering going nuts every time I stop. He acknowledges that I have an unlimited and he obviously does not. He acknowledges that mine is 16 years newer than his. So I'm not sure how much to listen to any of his concerns.

I know my MPGs will likely suffer. I know it could very well be slow off the line with my gear ratio, but how many of us buy Jeeps to race? But, am I going to be miserable driving it in the country (60ish miles southwest of the Windy City) where crosswinds can be bad and it does snow (though it snows far less than it did where I grew up about 35 minutes northeast of here)?

I've also heard plenty of mixed reviews on having a 35" spare. Obviously, the already difficult to see out of rear window will be more difficult to see out of. But, I like the look of the spare, and not having a spare at all makes me nervous. I also don't think I can see well out of the window as it is with stock wheels. My brother claims I made a mistake getting the TF HD adjustable spare tire carrier... but everyone I've seen reviews from raves about it. He claims it's too much weight to not have the carrier attached to the bumper.

Ugh... please help me clear up some/all of the negative feedback. I'm at my wits end with people telling me what they think of my decisions even when I'm not seeking their advice.

2016 JKU Sport S Granite Crystal Metallic
Mods: 2.5" Teraflex lift kit w/ 9550 shocks, 1/2" front spring spacers, Teraflex JK 9550 steering stabilizer, Teraflex JK Front explorer bumper w/ hoop, Magnaflow axle back exhaust, Teraflex HD hinged carrier & adjustable spare tire, 17" Pro Comp Helldorado wheels, 35" MTZ P3s, Superchips Flashcal programmer, Freedom hardtop & Trektop NX, Brandmotion rear vision camera, remote start, Mopar slush and cargo mats, Wild Boar grab bars/handles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 Old 04-17-2017, 01:56 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Tell him to shut up. When he starts paying for the mods then he can have an input into what you buy.
coilrod, Banshee, RUCKDOG and 4 others like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #3 of 74 Old 04-17-2017, 01:56 PM
Cod
Mall Crawl Champ!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod

Your brother is telling you this because he doesn't want you looking better than him going down the road!!

The TF lift, I can't comment as I've never had one.
35" Tires, yea you'll feel them both with the jeeps power, the road and in your fuel mileage.....but you'll like it.
Helldorado Wheels....personal preference, to each their own
TF Tire Carrier, they had some issues but apparently got everything worked out.
TF Bumper, again personal preference.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy TF products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
We liked you better when we didn't know you. If you just fucked off we could go back to not giving a shit about you.
post #4 of 74 Old 04-17-2017, 02:12 PM

I am running 35" (35x12.5 toyo RT's) on my 2015 JKU with a TF 2.5 Coil w/ shocks lift on 3.21 gearing. I get ~17 mpg and it rides just fine, only complaint is the teraflex 9550 shocks are not the best in my opinion, would say to pick a better shock. Have put 25k+ miles on my lift since last year, zero problems. Have been wheels a handful of times. Did put on rancho geometry brackets recently to adjust my front a bit more, caster is a bit off. Also TF HD tire carrier, install was easy and seems to hold everything just fine.
post #5 of 74 Old 04-17-2017, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Tell him to shut up. When he starts paying for the mods then he can have an input into what you buy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cod View Post
Your brother is telling you this because he doesn't want you looking better than him going down the road!!

The TF lift, I can't comment as I've never had one.
35" Tires, yea you'll feel them both with the jeeps power, the road and in your fuel mileage.....but you'll like it.
Helldorado Wheels....personal preference, to each their own
TF Tire Carrier, they had some issues but apparently got everything worked out.
TF Bumper, again personal preference.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy TF products.
You guys are killing me!! Friends of mine have said the same things about my brother's unsolicited advice. He is just relentless, and having just seen him yesterdayyor Easter, I got thoroughly irritated by it yet again.

Thanks, all, for the feedback so far. It's taking forever to get my Jeep back, and I am anxious to see how it looks, so that's playing a factor into my irritation as well.
post #6 of 74 Old 04-17-2017, 02:30 PM
Rock God

I will only comment where I have experience. the TF tire carrier and the death wobble issues.

The TF tire carrier is a stout piece. I ran it with 37s on it and on hard ass trails. Dropping off of big ledges in Moab. Rock crawling in CO. I never gave it a second thought and it never let me down.

Even a stock jeep can have death wobble. Sure bigger tires can make it happen sooner, but bigger tires do not CAUSE death wobble. Someone on this forum once said 80% of DW is either tire related or track bar related. First the track bar. If your factory track bar has more than 50,000 miles on it, replace it. Personally I just replace mine with a new factory track bar that someone else takes off a brand new jeep and sells cheap or gives away. I have yet to pay for one.

And while you are at it, add the Synergy track bar brace. It will prevent the dreaded oval'ed out frame side track bar bracket bolt hole. It costs $100 and is something I add to every jeep I lift.

You might want to replace the ball joints while its in the shop, but that is "optional". With 35s they will probably wear out somewhere between 30,000 and 60,000 miles.

The other big factor in death wobble is tire balance. And this is where it gets tricky. So many people with DW had a slight shimmy in their steering wheel for who knows how long. They thought it was normal. That shimmy puts stress on parts and wears things out faster. Plus that shimmy means that a tire is out of balance or out of round. And since DW starts in the tires, well, a bad situation is much easier to get to a worse situation.

People say "but I just had my tires balanced". Yeah, well that doesn't mean shit if the tech balancing them didn't know what they are doing or didn't take the time to get them as perfect as possible. Here is how I buy large off roading tires. My local Discount Tire manager knows me well. When I order a set of 5, he orders in 7 tires. He personally balances them, moving each tire on each wheel to different spots trying to find the best possible DYNAMIC balance he can get. Balancing large heavy off road tires is an art and one that takes time. Can you slap a 35" tire into a machine and call it balanced? Sure. Happens all the time. Will it shimmy ever so slightly? Probably. Will this shimmy eventually lead to DW? YES! My DT store will find the best 5 out of 7 tires and those are the ones I leave the store with. The 2 that didn't balance well - they get sold to someone else.

This balancing process needs to be repeated every 10,000 miles or so. And absolutely at the first sign of ANY wheel shimmy at ANY speed, regardless if it goes away when you speed up or slow down (it will go away).

I am not saying doing these things will prevent DW, but it will absolutely minimize the chances of it happening. And if it does happen, don't freak out. It feels like you are completely out of control when it happens. But you really are not. The jeep will actually track fairly straight. Just slow down as fast as you prudently can until it stops. Then proceed home as soon as possible and get it fixed asap. DW does not go away by itself.

Hope that helps.
coilrod likes this.
post #7 of 74 Old 04-17-2017, 02:41 PM
Rock God

If you bought the whole TF spare kit with the hinge, you'll be fine. If not, and you're gonna be blastin' down bumpy dirt roads, maybe not.

Auto or manual? Either way, that gearing and those tires will hurt ya a bit in the acceleration department, but I believe it's less so with the manual. It won't make much difference in 4Lo with your light use but you may end up having to use Lo more often, depending on the terrain. Highway, it could hurt ya or help ya. If you're luggin' the engine, that hurts. Headwinds will have you goin' down a gear for sure. If you can keep it above 1700-1800 rpm, you might make out okay as long as you don't have to put your foot in it to keep it there.

Your brakes might not feel adequate with those tires...there's a solution for that, too.

Good on ya for going with a spring lift. With or without shocks? With or without shock extensions? If still using stock shocks, you're likely gonna want to consider longer shocks, eventually, to achieve full articulation but you won't be breaking the stock ones unless the suspension drops out when hittin' some sweet jumps.

Even tho' you have a lift and your wheels have prolly moved the tires away from things that matter, when you flex, you're still likely to grab a fender and have it ripped off by the tire if you really stuff it into a ditch or traverse a berm, etc.

Otherwise, for the street and mild wheeling, thumbs up!

You'll need a brake booster relocation with that bumper. TF sells a kit...it's main value is the wiring and instructions it supplies, otherwise, you could DIY. Do you have an angle grinder? You'll also want some rustproof paint.

Don't forget some other offroad stuff that should be in the inventory...tree saver, tow strap, winch, shackles, snatch block, gloves, etc. Use the cubby hole for the loose stuff. Synthetic line for the winch is a good thing...keep it out of the sun.
post #8 of 74 Old 04-17-2017, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucleophile View Post
I will only comment where I have experience. the TF tire carrier and the death wobble issues.

The TF tire carrier is a stout piece. I ran it with 37s on it and on hard ass trails. Dropping off of big ledges in Moab. Rock crawling in CO. I never gave it a second thought and it never let me down.

Even a stock jeep can have death wobble. Sure bigger tires can make it happen sooner, but bigger tires do not CAUSE death wobble. Someone on this forum once said 80% of DW is either tire related or track bar related. First the track bar. If your factory track bar has more than 50,000 miles on it, replace it. Personally I just replace mine with a new factory track bar that someone else takes off a brand new jeep and sells cheap or gives away. I have yet to pay for one.

And while you are at it, add the Synergy track bar brace. It will prevent the dreaded oval'ed out frame side track bar bracket bolt hole. It costs $100 and is something I add to every jeep I lift.

You might want to replace the ball joints while its in the shop, but that is "optional". With 35s they will probably wear out somewhere between 30,000 and 60,000 miles.

The other big factor in death wobble is tire balance. And this is where it gets tricky. So many people with DW had a slight shimmy in their steering wheel for who knows how long. They thought it was normal. That shimmy puts stress on parts and wears things out faster. Plus that shimmy means that a tire is out of balance or out of round. And since DW starts in the tires, well, a bad situation is much easier to get to a worse situation.

People say "but I just had my tires balanced". Yeah, well that doesn't mean shit if the tech balancing them didn't know what they are doing or didn't take the time to get them as perfect as possible. Here is how I buy large off roading tires. My local Discount Tire manager knows me well. When I order a set of 5, he orders in 7 tires. He personally balances them, moving each tire on each wheel to different spots trying to find the best possible DYNAMIC balance he can get. Balancing large heavy off road tires is an art and one that takes time. Can you slap a 35" tire into a machine and call it balanced? Sure. Happens all the time. Will it shimmy ever so slightly? Probably. Will this shimmy eventually lead to DW? YES! My DT store will find the best 5 out of 7 tires and those are the ones I leave the store with. The 2 that didn't balance well - they get sold to someone else.

This balancing process needs to be repeated every 10,000 miles or so. And absolutely at the first sign of ANY wheel shimmy at ANY speed, regardless if it goes away when you speed up or slow down (it will go away).

I am not saying doing these things will prevent DW, but it will absolutely minimize the chances of it happening. And if it does happen, don't freak out. It feels like you are completely out of control when it happens. But you really are not. The jeep will actually track fairly straight. Just slow down as fast as you prudently can until it stops. Then proceed home as soon as possible and get it fixed asap. DW does not go away by itself.

Hope that helps.
Thanks, Nucleophile. Great review on the carrier and good to know about DW.
post #9 of 74 Old 04-17-2017, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfred View Post
If you bought the whole TF spare kit with the hinge, you'll be fine. If not, and you're gonna be blastin' down bumpy dirt roads, maybe not.

Auto or manual? Either way, that gearing and those tires will hurt ya a bit in the acceleration department, but I believe it's less so with the manual. It won't make much difference in 4Lo with your light use but you may end up having to use Lo more often, depending on the terrain. Highway, it could hurt ya or help ya. If you're luggin' the engine, that hurts. Headwinds will have you goin' down a gear for sure. If you can keep it above 1700-1800 rpm, you might make out okay as long as you don't have to put your foot in it to keep it there.

Your brakes might not feel adequate with those tires...there's a solution for that, too.

Good on ya for going with a spring lift. With or without shocks? With or without shock extensions? If still using stock shocks, you're likely gonna want to consider longer shocks, eventually, to achieve full articulation but you won't be breaking the stock ones unless the suspension drops out when hittin' some sweet jumps.

Even tho' you have a lift and your wheels have prolly moved the tires away from things that matter, when you flex, you're still likely to grab a fender and have it ripped off by the tire if you really stuff it into a ditch or traverse a berm, etc.

Otherwise, for the street and mild wheeling, thumbs up!

You'll need a brake booster relocation with that bumper. TF sells a kit...it's main value is the wiring and instructions it supplies, otherwise, you could DIY. Do you have an angle grinder? You'll also want some rustproof paint.

Don't forget some other offroad stuff that should be in the inventory...tree saver, tow strap, winch, shackles, snatch block, gloves, etc. Use the cubby hole for the loose stuff. Synthetic line for the winch is a good thing...keep it out of the sun.
funfred... I got the one that is hinged, so it sounds like I'm good there.

I got the 2.5" TF lift with 9550 shocks. The shop also had me purchase a steering stabilizer and new control arms. The brake booster scenario is Greek to me, so I'll have to research that further. We've got a grinder, not sure if it's an angle grinder... that's all beyond my pay grade as a high school English teacher.

I've got shackles so far that I'm going to get powder coated tiffany blue... haha. But that's all I've got in the way of recovery gear so far.
post #10 of 74 Old 04-17-2017, 05:13 PM
Rock God

Garage

My spare is 112 pounds. Adjust the teraflex as per instructions,
you'll be ok. https://teraflex.com/shop_items/528f...d962f416e72f7f
(I think that's it)*edit. Nope, but that page has the link to the install tips *
2.5" is not alot of lift. Lots of folk do not ever swap arms out, just the stuff the Tera kit has. Should be ok there.
As mentioned look at the track bar mounting bolt. Not sure if they still do this, Jeep used to use a slightly smaller dia. bolt with full threads. This allowed the bolt to act as a file and oval out the mounting location, leading to death wobble. Easily prevented fixed, look it up. That could be your brother's concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Running 37's as a daily driver is dumb
post #11 of 74 Old 04-17-2017, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coilrod View Post
My spare is 112 pounds. Adjust the teraflex as per instructions,
you'll be ok. https://teraflex.com/shop_items/528f...d962f416e72f7f
(I think that's it)*edit. Nope, but that page has the link to the install tips *
2.5" is not alot of lift. Lots of folk do not ever swap arms out, just the stuff the Tera kit has. Should be ok there.
As mentioned look at the track bar mounting bolt. Not sure if they still do this, Jeep used to use a slightly smaller dia. bolt with full threads. This allowed the bolt to act as a file and oval out the mounting location, leading to death wobble. Easily prevented fixed, look it up. That could be your brother's concern.
Thanks, coilrod. That is the link to the tire carrier I got. The shop has it and will install it. They've sold and installed them before, so hopefully they know what they're doing.

He had me order a front forged adjustable trackbar kit, JK 9550 VSS steering stabilizer, the rear trackbar got screwed in the accident, so that's getting replaced,

Maybe the control arms that he had on there were for when I was pricing out the budget boost instead. Can't remember...

2016 JKU Sport S Granite Crystal Metallic
Mods: 2.5" Teraflex lift kit w/ 9550 shocks, 1/2" front spring spacers, Teraflex JK 9550 steering stabilizer, Teraflex JK Front explorer bumper w/ hoop, Magnaflow axle back exhaust, Teraflex HD hinged carrier & adjustable spare tire, 17" Pro Comp Helldorado wheels, 35" MTZ P3s, Superchips Flashcal programmer, Freedom hardtop & Trektop NX, Brandmotion rear vision camera, remote start, Mopar slush and cargo mats, Wild Boar grab bars/handles.
post #12 of 74 Old 04-17-2017, 06:29 PM
Granite Guru

Nothing your brother says is valid since his experience is with TJ's and NOT JK's.

I ran 35's on the factory carrier for years with no issue. No it's not the greatest idea, but doable, so your TF carrier will be fine.
It also doesn't affect your rear vision much at all. On the stock carrier it snugged right up under the 3rd brake light, I think 37"+ is where you really start to hinder rear vision.

I ran the TF BB so no direct experience with the springs or shocks, but I was very happy with their products.

You will need to start planning for a re-gear sooner rather than later. Doesn't matter if you are auto or manual, 3.21's and 35's are not gonna be happy, it will be up to you though once you drive it a bit.

Jeepless
post #13 of 74 Old 04-17-2017, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuLcRuM View Post
Nothing your brother says is valid since his experience is with TJ's and NOT JK's.

I ran 35's on the factory carrier for years with no issue. No it's not the greatest idea, but doable, so your TF carrier will be fine.
It also doesn't affect your rear vision much at all. On the stock carrier it snugged right up under the 3rd brake light, I think 37"+ is where you really start to hinder rear vision.

I ran the TF BB so no direct experience with the springs or shocks, but I was very happy with their products.

You will need to start planning for a re-gear sooner rather than later. Doesn't matter if you are auto or manual, 3.21's and 35's are not gonna be happy, it will be up to you though once you drive it a bit.
Thanks, FuLcRuM. I figured things would be very different coming from a TJ owner when I have a JKU, but you can't convince my brother that he's wrong...
post #14 of 74 Old 04-17-2017, 08:50 PM
Where's my coffee?

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl83 View Post
Thanks, FuLcRuM. I figured things would be very different coming from a TJ owner when I have a JKU, but you can't convince my brother that he's wrong...
FuLcRuM speaks truth. The way you convince your brother he's wrong is go ahead and do what you want -- guided by the advice you've been given here -- and then let him ride in it and drive it. The proof's in the pudding. I'm thinking that'll shut him up.

On the TF tire carrier, I've had a 37 on one since late 2012. It's been on some of the toughest trails in California, it's been to Moab, and it has 45,000 miles on it with absolutely no issues whatsoever. A JK is not a TJ. The structure where the hinges mount is up to the task of carrying the weight. And the TF HD Hinge is an engineered solution to transfer the load of your spare tire to that structure.

Your wheelbase with the Unlimited, as well as the improved suspension design with the longer control arms, will result in a ride that is substantially better than a TJ, especially a lifted one. Your mods sound reasonable to me. I don't think you'll regret them. But do get the track bar brace that was mentioned before. To quote the Synergy Suspension reps when I told them I could feel the death wobble coming, "Death wobble is always coming." And the bolt hole the brace reinforces is one of the main contributing factors. Add the brace first and you'll save yourself some headache down the road.

My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 74 Old 04-18-2017, 12:48 AM
DJ1
Granite Guru

Not sure if it's too late for you but seeing how you're getting new front/rear axles, I would see how much it would cost (maybe if any a tiny bit more out of pocket) to go to a set of Rubi 44 axles geared in 4.10 with lockers or even a set of Sahara D30/D44 axles with the 3.73 gears and the rear limited slip.

I just came from running 34s, 35s, and 37s all on 3.73 gears + limited slip and it was ok for 35" tires or less. I used to live in Chicago and am very familiar with the area, surrounding cities, and the driving out there.

I think the 4.10 would be a better choice if you can swing it followed by the 3.73 gears. If you stick with the 3.21 I think you'll be kicking yourself down the road since you have a great opportunity right now to re-gear with almost no cost to you.

post #16 of 74 Old 04-18-2017, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ1 View Post
Not sure if it's too late for you but seeing how you're getting new front/rear axles, I would see how much it would cost (maybe if any a tiny bit more out of pocket) to go to a set of Rubi 44 axles geared in 4.10 with lockers or even a set of Sahara D30/D44 axles with the 3.73 gears and the rear limited slip.

I just came from running 34s, 35s, and 37s all on 3.73 gears + limited slip and it was ok for 35" tires or less. I used to live in Chicago and am very familiar with the area, surrounding cities, and the driving out there.

I think the 4.10 would be a better choice if you can swing it followed by the 3.73 gears. If you stick with the 3.21 I think you'll be kicking yourself down the road since you have a great opportunity right now to re-gear with almost no cost to you.

Thanks, DJ1. My shop has acted annoyed that's I've even asked about re-gearing, so that's off putting.

The other cost factor here is that my rear axle is the only one that was damaged. So, I could re-gear now but the front axle and the actual re-gearing itself would all be out of pocket, and I'm already $1,600 over what insurance will cover. I'm HOPING my diminished value claim will at least cover that. If it gets me that and more, fantastic. Then I'll re-gear. If not, I can't do it right now. I've been let go from my teaching position, so until I line something else up for the fall, I'm looking at a definite end to my paychecks at the end of August. As much as I want to buy more things for the Jeep, I've got a mortgage to figure out how to pay for, etc.
post #17 of 74 Old 04-18-2017, 04:26 AM
JKO Addict!

You will want some kind of caster correction. Front lower arms or geometry brackets. Caster angle will keep the steering tight going down the highway. I would also look for a decent shock. One of the most popular setups (below) is the TF 2.5 and Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks. The 5000x shocks are less expensive and ride great as well just not adjustable.
@SweetCJ7 (Allens off road on here)

https://www.allensoffroad.com/suspen...ction-KJ-Combo

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Adams front DS | Rancho 5000x shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #18 of 74 Old 04-18-2017, 08:29 AM
Granite Guru

First off you have gotten really good advise from many of the JKO members , but this reminds me of the girls in my office and my gf stirrin' up the stuff about what others think when it comes to lifts and any mods to their Jeeps .

It don't matter what anybody Thinks except YOU , The shop that you have chosen I would expect is a respected shop with good customer service ?
If so their advise is a particular brand that has good reviews and once again a respected manufacturer .
You are comfortable with that brand ?
Even the guys at the shop listen to all the OPINIONS of those that have brand preferences , which are really meaningless .

That said you are not making any mistakes , get it done and work through any issues that may or may not arise .
Please tell your brother to stick to what he believes to know (TJ's) , JK"s are a totally different animal and his opinion has no bearing in fact , (I own both a JK and a TJ and a CJ ) so his belief and opinion has no merit .
That is the meaning of being a Jeeper or Jeep Girl , have fun the mods never end there is always something to do NEXT .

I finally sat down all the offenders in my office and ended it all by showing them that the style of shoes that they chose were different , because they were different people with different expectations . Chicks get shoes ......haven't heard another word about mods to their Jeeps since .

Now the Guys are a load of BS and more opinionated and impossible to deflect from this nonsense ...Oh well ....
post #19 of 74 Old 04-18-2017, 08:45 AM
Lord of the thighs

This^
I keep wondering how much internet approval one person needs to have before they start bolting shit on.
post #20 of 74 Old 04-18-2017, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by snout View Post
This^
I keep wondering how much internet approval one person needs to have before they start bolting shit on.
Normally I'd agree but in the OP's defense...

She was sorta thrown into all of this against her will. Now she's having to expend a great deal of effort to learn as much as she can in order to sign off on the claim. She doesn't have the luxury of learning over time. Add to that, the fact that she's smart enough to want to do things right. She's getting a lot of advice... some good, some bad, some irrelevant... all of which can become rather overwhelming as we all have experienced at one time or another. Jeep Brother then comes in and just makes things worse with his unsubstantiated opinions so understandably, OP begins to question her decisions. She also realizes... looking ahead to the latter part of the year, that financially things may be a bit lean-n-mean. I can certainly respect where she's coming from and that she desperately wants to wind up with a vehicle that she loves to drive, that didn't cost too much out of pocket, and that she feels was money well spent. Sounds as if she's using her head and heeding the sage advice offered here. We all know that these situations can prove daunting, so I'd say she's doing pretty damned good so far. Tammy would be freaking the fuck out over which seat-covers matched her plum-harvest nail polish.
Banshee and aqualungs like this.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #21 of 74 Old 04-18-2017, 10:02 AM
DJ1
Granite Guru

Quote:
Thanks, DJ1. My shop has acted annoyed that's I've even asked about re-gearing, so that's off putting.

The other cost factor here is that my rear axle is the only one that was damaged. So, I could re-gear now but the front axle and the actual re-gearing itself would all be out of pocket, and I'm already $1,600 over what insurance will cover. I'm HOPING my diminished value claim will at least cover that. If it gets me that and more, fantastic. Then I'll re-gear. If not, I can't do it right now. I've been let go from my teaching position, so until I line something else up for the fall, I'm looking at a definite end to my paychecks at the end of August. As much as I want to buy more things for the Jeep, I've got a mortgage to figure out how to pay for, etc.

For some reason I thought your front axle was damaged also. So basically where axles are concerned, your damage is opposite from mine. My front axle was damaged in the accident but the rear was still good. Considering your current income situation, then I agree that at this point it would be best to play it safe and stick with the stock 3.21 gearing. Best to get your rig with a few upgrades but most importantly drivable.

Good luck either way. Hope the job/financial situation turns around for you. If you do get that extra diminished value claim, I would keep that as additional back-up/oh-shit money.

Last edited by DJ1; 04-18-2017 at 10:06 AM.
post #22 of 74 Old 04-18-2017, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ1 View Post
Quote:

For some reason I thought your front axle was damaged also. So basically where axles are concerned, your damage is opposite from mine. My front axle was damaged in the accident but the rear was still good. Considering your current income situation, then I agree that at this point it would be best to play it safe and stick with the stock 3.21 gearing. Best to get your rig with a few upgrades but most importantly drivable.

Good luck either way. Hope the job/financial situation turns around for you.

Thanks, me too!
post #23 of 74 Old 04-18-2017, 10:30 AM
Lord of the thighs

Quote:

Tammy would be freaking the fuck out over which seat-covers matched her plum-harvest nail polish.
I was just getting fresh because this thread has the most almost-side-boob that I've seen in months.
post #24 of 74 Old 04-18-2017, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by snout View Post
This^

She was sorta thrown into all of this against her will. Now she's having to expend a great deal of effort to learn as much as she can in order to sign off on the claim. She doesn't have the luxury of learning over time. Add to that, the fact that she's smart enough to want to do things right. She's getting a lot of advice... some good, some bad, some irrelevant... all of which can become rather overwhelming as we all have experienced at one time or another. Jeep Brother then comes in and just makes things worse with his unsubstantiated opinions so understandably, OP begins to question her decisions. She also realizes... looking ahead to the latter part of the year, that financially things may be a bit lean-n-mean. I can certainly respect where she's coming from and that she desperately wants to wind up with a vehicle that she loves to drive, that didn't cost too much out of pocket, and that she feels was money well spent. Sounds as if she's using her head and heeding the sage advice offered here. We all know that these situations can prove daunting, so I'd say she's doing pretty damned good so far. Tammy would be freaking the fuck out over which seat-covers matched her plum-harvest nail polish.
^^ This. It has nothing to do with Internet approval at all. I owned a TJ for a hot minute from 2006-2009, and that remained stock because I was young and broke.

I'm still broke... somewhat young... but, as Stub said, I have an opportunity here. I get that people will have different opinions on different brands.

That's why I didn't come asking if 2.5" of lift was "good enough" or if Teraflex was the best brand. I came here asking about functionality and driveability, hoping people could tell me what their experience has been like. If it's going to suck ass driving back and forth to work, I might think twice. Drivint a vehicle that looks badass and is slightly more capable off roading but that might feel DIFFERENT is something I can handle. The pros outweigh the cons. If it's going to be a disaster, no thanks.

And if my non-existent side boob is the most almost side boob you've seen in months, you're doing it wrong. All of it.
post #25 of 74 Old 04-18-2017, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Fuck the typos thanks to two thumbing it on my phone...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode