The Continuing Saga Of "Mr. Nibbles NoMore" - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 91 Old 03-23-2017, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
The Continuing Saga Of "Mr. Nibbles NoMore"

Original Title: "Little help if you're able..." <EDIT
Original Post Location: Stock JK Tech Section
Moved To: Chat Section

Under the cowl ( 2008 Rubicon 2dr) on either end of the sub-sheet metal, there are two fairly large openings. On the drivers side, the opening is uncovered/ open. But on the passenger side the opening is sealed shut with heavy-weight alum (?). It's like industrial looking DynaMat ( molded around the opening and adhered with whatever industrial grade adhesive).

I can't peel it back... that stuff is thick. But I believe that I can run it through with a screwdriver or carpet-blade and open it up that way.

Okay... problem is... SHOULD I? Any reason that y'all know of why Chrysler covered this hole but not the one on the drivers side? Also wondering if I cut it open, what I might use to seal it back up when I'm done looking for this piece of shit dead rat that I think is in there? OR... Any reason to think that I couldn't just leave it open?

Pic of pass side covered/ Pic of drive side uncovered:

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 91 Old 03-23-2017, 05:15 PM
Rock God

They went to the trouble to cover it for a reason, so if you open it to look in there, make it leak proof again.
If you have a body shop handy, see if they have some of the material.

Other than that, use a sheet of rubber with contact cement.

Cut your access hole in the flat portion of the material, so the new patch doesn't have to bend down over the edges.
Make the patch big enough to cover the entire top surface, just shy of having to bend over the edge.
I use rubber/contact cement to patch the roofs of our old passenger cars. Haven't had a leaker yet.

Regarding the dead rat, it has been my experience if I don't find it, it will dry out and stop stinking after a while.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
post #3 of 91 Old 03-23-2017, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Thanks so much. I really appreciate it. I've already removed the vent-blower motor under the dash on the inside of the firewall... and subsequently used a shop-vac up in there as far as I could get it... but rodent is still up in there somewhere. I don't feel ambitious enough to start really pulling the rest of the dash/ duct-work apart but I feel like that bastard might be just under that piece of "DynaMat" based on the hardest-hitting odor and concentration of flies. Was hoping to extract it but if it's not accessible by opening up that hole under the cowl, then I'm likely going to give up on this one.

Thanks again so much.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #4 of 91 Old 03-23-2017, 08:16 PM
Random Dude

Hey Stub, I'm not seeing if you've already popped off the side panel(s) on the dash and the round vents - they're both super-easy if you haven't.

I hope you find your departed "pet" behind the ~DynaMat, but figured I'd encourage you to look in the "easy" areas you didn't mention.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #5 of 91 Old 03-23-2017, 09:08 PM
JKO Addict!

They cover that hole to keep water out from the blower that is under the dash. I went thru that spot to run my pre cleaner. You can just seal it up with some metal duct sealer tape.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New to jeeps, check this link
post #6 of 91 Old 03-23-2017, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
Hey Stub, I'm not seeing if you've already popped off the side panel(s) on the dash and the round vents - they're both super-easy if you haven't.

I hope you find your departed "pet" behind the ~DynaMat, but figured I'd encourage you to look in the "easy" areas you didn't mention.
Yep.. Thanks greatly. I removed the side panel, the little kicker plate under the glove-box, and the box itself. I also removed all the little soup-can vents along the dash ( 4 total )... sent the vacuum hose down into all those places as well as the vent that comes down inside the pass side foot-well. Those aren't suspect areas anymore... no smell/ no flies.

On the plus side, my buddies are now taking bids to rename her to: Ratzilla, Stanker, Rat Patrol, Raticon, Just Killin', Lil Grave Digger, JK... of Death, Varmint-Con-Queso, or The Undertaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
They cover that hole to keep water out from the blower that is under the dash. I went thru that spot to run my pre cleaner. You can just seal it up with some metal duct sealer tape.
Ah! I didn't know that. Makes perfect sense though. I kept thinking that maybe it had something to do with a pressurized or air-tight passage in there. That was actually my main concern. Looks like I can go ahead and cut that open and re-seal it after inspection. Sincere appreciation for the help.

post #7 of 91 Old 03-24-2017, 12:55 AM
Where's my coffee?

Garage

Hey Stub, go down to Lowe's or Home Depot and get you a $15 roll of Peel-n-Seal. It's a poor man's Dynamat, but it's made for patching roofs, valleys, etc. Aluminum-ish on the exposed surface and sticky tar-like stuff on the back side. Can't remember how many feet to the roll, but even if you only use a foot, you'd still have enough left to "Dynamat" the inside of your subwoofer enclosure. I used it for damping the insides of the doors on my Colorado a few years ago and it did a pretty good job. Smelled a little strong in the cab for a few weeks, but it eventually went away. And MUCH better than dead rat!

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #8 of 91 Old 03-24-2017, 06:22 AM
Rock God

I personally like Varmint-Con-Queso. That on the sides of the hood would be bitchin'.

2010 2 door manual sport
post #9 of 91 Old 03-24-2017, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimiDozer View Post
Hey Stub, go down to Lowe's or Home Depot and get you a $15 roll of Peel-n-Seal. It's a poor man's Dynamat, but it's made for patching roofs, valleys, etc. Aluminum-ish on the exposed surface and sticky tar-like stuff on the back side. Can't remember how many feet to the roll, but even if you only use a foot, you'd still have enough left to "Dynamat" the inside of your subwoofer enclosure. I used it for damping the insides of the doors on my Colorado a few years ago and it did a pretty good job. Smelled a little strong in the cab for a few weeks, but it eventually went away. And MUCH better than dead rat!
I'm going to go ahead and do that. I just hope that when I open that hole up, that there will be a nice maggot-y prize waitin' for me inside. I dunno why I never considered re-sealing the hole with Peel-n-Seal... I'm familiar with the stuff. Anyway... Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treader View Post
I personally like Varmint-Con-Queso. That on the sides of the hood would be bitchin'.
As a lady that otherwise loves nacho's... this ^^^ was Chelsea's least favorite moniker. We had to take the Jeep out yesterday and the poor girl was unfortunately forced to endure some nice heaping wafts of the extremely pungent aroma while riding shotgun. Admittedly... as long as we've been together, this was the first thing to really test her gag-reflexes.

post #10 of 91 Old 03-25-2017, 12:00 AM
Where's my coffee?

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Anyway... Thank you.
Of course! Anytime. Hope you track it down.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #11 of 91 Old 03-25-2017, 05:52 PM
Granite Guru

We had some friends with a honda minivan that had something stinking when they got home from vacation. Looked all thru the van and under the dash. Finally took it to the dealer to see if they could remove the dash to find whatever died. After disassembling the dash the tech decided to look in the console built in cooler. Turns out she left a chicken salad sandwich in there. $700 leftovers anyone?
So have you checked the console?
post #12 of 91 Old 03-25-2017, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by longlegs View Post
We had some friends with a honda minivan that had something stinking when they got home from vacation. Looked all thru the van and under the dash. Finally took it to the dealer to see if they could remove the dash to find whatever died. After disassembling the dash the tech decided to look in the console built in cooler. Turns out she left a chicken salad sandwich in there. $700 leftovers anyone?
So have you checked the console?
I know the difference between "dead smell" and "bad sandwich smell". They're not comparable. I've got it pin-pointed and it's no where near the console nor anywhere else. It's in that vent... and it's a dead rat. I just can't get to it yet. I've been poisoning them recently and there's evidence of droppings in the engine bay and shredded material in the glove-box.

Man... $700 for an uneaten sammy... that had to have sucked lol. Thank you though in all seriousness. I appreciate all the help you guys have offered. I'm gonna take pics for you all if I can ever get to it.

post #13 of 91 Old 03-30-2017, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

So... UPDATE!

I used a razor-blade to slice open the material that was covering the hole... BINGO!

The smell that came out was such a distinctly concentrated essence of decomposition, that my suspicions were immediately confirmed. What I didn't know, was that this extraction would prove incredibly difficult. That damned rat had made a nest in there, that was nothing short of an elaborate man-cave... Leaves, bits of insulation, pecan shells, dried droppings, hair, etc... It was like a rodent's version of Hoarders. I went at the task with a ShopVac initially and managed to suck out a ton of the debris but not everything. After all that was painstakingly removed, what was left was the fallen beast himself. I dunno how long the son of a bitch had been dead in there but I was able to just about completely de-fur the little bastard's corpse as if the lil fella was a perfectly preserved piece of the Donner party... but unfortunately stuck as stuck can be.

There's a hole that is located between the "death chamber" and the body panel and unfortunately, the late Mr. Nibbles wasn't willing or able to pull his fat hairy dying ass completely inside the portal. So what we have here now, is a "half in/ half out" situation. It's not yet apparent how much of the little vagabond's body is on the other side of the round hole but at least for now, he is stuck like a square peg. My Rodent Extraction Team that consists of myself, my best friend, and my fiance has determined that there's some hind legs, stellar large testicles, and/ or shifted innards causing one hell of an hour-glass shape... and THAT is what's hindering the removal. The dearly departed simply will not come out. The majority of the body is accessible but unless the carcass deforms a bit more, that varmint isn't going anywhere. We contemplated at this point, possibly trying to break or saw in half the balding jerky-like remains, but I'm afraid that at that point, the remaining ass end might wind up inaccessible since that particular portion will be out of reach between the outer and inner sheet-metal. I've opened up the fender-liner on the outside and tried to get a view of the rodent's ass-end but I can't see it at the moment and I'm thinking that without actually removing the entire quarter-panel, that I never will. Long story-short... I want to get ALL of this thing... not just part of it.

To end this segment of the story, I have to give props to my fiance... a girly-girl that is clean and proper in almost every regard. My hands and my buddy's hands are just too large to be able to access the rat-mummy's Mausoleum so we had tried to use everything from channel-locks to bbq tongs... with no luck. Well... after watching us for a while, my fiance finally decided that she would suit-up with neoprene gloves and give it a go. My buddy and I were a bit taken back with her decision. You see... She has small hands and she was able to get one of them into the main death-chamber and take a very direct approach to the extraction. She grabbed a-hold of the bastard and worked it like a hungry lad with his arm up inside a vending machine that refused to give up the Skittles. No matter how she wriggled and manipulated that thing, she just could not get it out. Still... my buddy whispered to me several times as we watched her take charge of the situation "... you need to marry her...". Haha.

So the saga continues. I'm going to give it another couple weeks and then go back in and see if we can't break or manipulate the remains to the point of being able to pull it the rest of the way through the hole and finally extract it fully in-tact. We shall see. I will say that the smell is considerably less pungent than it was when we started this whole process.... no maggots and no moisture content whatsoever although I'm guessing that the aromatic contents of the ShopVac will not likely be making it into the Chanel Spring Collection line-up of fresh new scents.
Gib likes this.

post #14 of 91 Old 03-30-2017, 06:58 AM
Rock God

Glad you found it.
You have a talent for telling a pretty good story.
Gib likes this.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
post #15 of 91 Old 03-30-2017, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
Glad you found it.
You have a talent for telling a pretty good story.
Thanks. I sincerely appreciate the advice. It's been a strange quest for solace and I'm almost there.

Maybe not too surprising... Chelsea came to me with an adamant request that we throw out the BBQ tongs! My argument of "Why?? We can use bleach to..." was quickly squelched by her vigorous opposition. Alas... they will not see any further activity around the kitchen nor grill. Who am I to argue at this point? We will just have to purchase a worthy successor.

RIP, Tongs Of Pleasure & Horror. You served your people well.

post #16 of 91 Old 03-30-2017, 12:14 PM
Cod
Mall Crawl Champ!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod

I bet that does smell good

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
We liked you better when we didn't know you. If you just fucked off we could go back to not giving a shit about you.
post #17 of 91 Old 03-30-2017, 12:36 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

"She has small hands", Kind of makes you feel extra manly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #18 of 91 Old 03-30-2017, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cod View Post
I bet that does smell good
I've smelled this savory olfactory suffocation before and each time, I find it difficult to manage without translating it into animated body movements and facial expressions. Of course, as hearty as that all is, yesterday was more about the contents of the sealed and toasted rat-hide... the way that the slurry of goodies shifted and sifted inside the leathery pinata of Heavenly slumber. It's been memorable to say the least lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
"She has small hands", Kind of makes you feel extra manly?
You better believe it! Hell... You should see how small her mouth is! That's where the boat-ride really picks up steam!
ChuckTheRipper likes this.

post #19 of 91 Old 03-30-2017, 03:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
.... So what we have here now, is a "half in/ half out" situation...
Sounds like a recent episode of the walking dead. Hope the little rat bastard doesn't come back to life in all his desiccated glory.

It's been awhile since we had a Chelsea update and a Stub story. Thanks!

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken
post #20 of 91 Old 03-30-2017, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUCKDOG View Post
Sounds like a recent episode of the walking dead. Hope the little rat bastard doesn't come back to life in all his desiccated glory.

It's been awhile since we had a Chelsea update and a Stub story. Thanks!

Good to see you, Ruck! I think I'm the only person in the world that doesn't regularly watch Walking Dead lol. Thank you, sir. It's unfortunate that I usually have to go through some weird, gross, or tragic ordeal for you guys to get a decent story but I don't tell no fables so this is the only way that it can happen lol. I've got a few pics but until this thing is all the way out, I won't have my gold medal. If I'm ever able to get the skeletal remains extracted, I think I'm gonna wear that fucker as a hat!

post #21 of 91 Old 03-30-2017, 07:53 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Be very aware of Hantavirus.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015
post #22 of 91 Old 03-31-2017, 05:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Sounds like you need a cat.

I have two cats at the house that kill everything that moves.

Kevin
post #23 of 91 Old 04-05-2017, 06:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Well? Is Mr. Nibbles still enjoying a free ride everywhere you drive?

Kevin
post #24 of 91 Old 04-05-2017, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

RAT EXTRACTION:

It's been roughly a week since I've been inside her. I couldn't get the job done so I'm just biding my time until I feel like I can grab hold of it and hit it hard. I wanna break it off up in there and then pull that damn thing out after giving it all I've got.

SEX LIFE:

It's been roughly a week since I've been inside her. I couldn't get the job done so I'm just biding my time until I feel like I can grab hold of it and hit it hard. I wanna break it off up in there and then pull that damn thing out after giving it all I've got.

post #25 of 91 Old 04-05-2017, 10:25 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Great minds think alike

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode