Thankful I Drive a Jeep... and Pissed - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old 03-20-2017, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Thankful I Drive a Jeep... and Pissed

Well, today I was car number two in a four car pileup. I got hit by some asshole in a smal blue wannabe sports car (that is now totaled thanks to slamming in to the back of my Jeep). Externally, my car had the least damage out of all four of the vehicles, but my muffler is f***ed. Not excited to see what else is wrong with it. Love having a vehicle that is less than a year old that's been in a pretty gnarly accident...

Last edited by JeepGirl83; 03-20-2017 at 10:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 03-20-2017, 10:11 AM
Cod
Mall Crawl Champ!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod

At least you're not hurt!!?? And man did that thing mess up that Tiburon... think that's what those things are called.
JeepGirl83 likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
We liked you better when we didn't know you. If you just fucked off we could go back to not giving a shit about you.
post #3 of 39 Old 03-20-2017, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Feeling OK, but sore. Police officer said he was guessing the guy hit me going over 40. The speed limit there is 55, and most people do at least 60. I didn't even have time to register that the screeching was coming from behind me before I was hit and then hit the car in front of me. The fourth car was a Cherokee.

Dude tried to apologize. I just rolled my eyes and shook my head. Saw his car and my Jeep and just thought "Sucks to be you, man."

Regardless, still not thrilled that my baby has been hit and/or at the idea of what else could be wrong that I'm too blonde to be able to see...
post #4 of 39 Old 03-20-2017, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Glad that you're hopefully okay. I sure as hell would be getting checked out though. That exact scenario often has people waking up next morning unable to move. I'm sure you know all that though.

Nothing to do with a blonde-moment. I'm guessing that the frame could very well be tweaked since "something" more substantial took the 40mph impact. It wasn't only the muffler to be certain. Definitely not always easy to clearly identify with a quick glance. Dunno if you had it towed somewhere or if you have the jeep at your disposal but if you're curious, you can always take a closer look at how all your body-panels are situated... in regards to seeing how normally doors are closing as compared to before the hit, and also the relation of where the panels meet up. Gaps should be even and consistent from one side of the vehicle to the other. Honestly though.. the body shop will go over all of that eventually so maybe just best to try and take it easy for next couple days. Take care and keep us updated. Genuinely hope that the jeep will be okay but more importantly that YOU have no long-term complications due to whatever asshole caused all this.
JeepGirl83 likes this.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #5 of 39 Old 03-20-2017, 11:25 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Just be glad that you are ok and that it was a little rice rocket instead of an 18 wheel tanker truck.

Make sure that where ever you take it to goes over it with a microscope. Like Stub said that force went somewhere.
JeepGirl83 likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #6 of 39 Old 03-20-2017, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Well, turns out I'm at least as indestructible as my Jeep. No bone or soft tissue injuries for me, according to x-rays. Just going to feel like I got hit by a bus (or a f***in' 2004 Hyundai Tiburon) tomorrow. Follow up with the doc in a week or two.

My baby, on the other hand, still sits sadly in the garage waiting for the insurance B.S. to get sorted out. I am going to head out there momentarily to play with doors and see what else I can see.
post #7 of 39 Old 03-21-2017, 12:22 AM
Granite Guru

Glad you're alright!
It sucks when your Jeep gets bunged up and you weren't even doing anything fun.
At least it looks very fixable.
Are you going to replace everything stock or use this as an excuse to upgrade to some cool aftermarket bumpers and exhaust?
JeepGirl83 likes this.

"I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol!"
post #8 of 39 Old 03-21-2017, 06:05 AM
ಠ_ಠ

Garage

glad you are talking to us and only sore. Jeep can be fixed or replaced; you cannot. yeah, as we all know but maybe OP doesn't, the frame has spots designed to absorb and crumpleup when impacted at all corners and other' spots' . Make sure the appraiser adjuster has the frame checked. The front driver bumper mount sorta looks like it took a good percentage of the accordion effect and did its job but frame is key . Here's hoping for the best outcome for you !
JeepGirl83 likes this.

lllllll '11 JKUs
lllllll '95 XJ
post #9 of 39 Old 03-21-2017, 06:34 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
[COLOR="Teal"]...the frame has spots designed to absorb and crumpleup when impacted at all corners and other' spots' .
The only crumple areas of the frame I know of are the front rail extensions. They have corrugations to aid the "crumpling process", and are made of softer steel than the rest of the frame.
Are there other areas of the frame so designed?

Here is a photo of a front rail extension. They are available from the parts department and are easily replaced.

Banshee and JK in SC like this.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
post #10 of 39 Old 03-21-2017, 09:07 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Nothing to do with a blonde-moment. I'm guessing that the frame could very well be tweaked since "something" more substantial took the 40mph impact. It wasn't only the muffler to be certain. Definitely not always easy to clearly identify with a quick glance. Dunno if you had it towed somewhere or if you have the jeep at your disposal but if you're curious, you can always take a closer look at how all your body-panels are situated... in regards to seeing how normally doors are closing as compared to before the hit, and also the relation of where the panels meet up. Gaps should be even and consistent from one side of the vehicle to the other. Honestly though.. the body shop will go over all of that eventually so maybe just best to try and take it easy for next couple days. Take care and keep us updated. Genuinely hope that the jeep will be okay but more importantly that YOU have no long-term complications due to whatever asshole caused all this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Just be glad that you are ok and that it was a little rice rocket instead of an 18 wheel tanker truck.

Make sure that where ever you take it to goes over it with a microscope. Like Stub said that force went somewhere.
I'm no Sir Isaac Newton, but since every action has an equal and opposite reaction, that Tiburon ate up the lion's share of the force. The Jeep absorbed some of it and passed some through to the Nissan (car #1). I don't think there's going to be any frame damage.

If it was a Mercedes I think you could check the gaps... Jeep, not so sure.

The good news is you have new bumpers and a tire carrier in your future.
JeepGirl83 likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
post #11 of 39 Old 03-21-2017, 04:49 PM
Rock God

Insurance money = upgrades. Had an old fella run a red light one morning and hit me straight in the driver front wheel. Toasted the rubi axle and rubi sway bar (and the wheel). That funded a hefty chunk of my d60 upgrade. Some of my friends have started wishing for superficial damage when they hear the screech. Glad you are ok.
JeepGirl83 likes this.

I have jeeps. I do shit to them.
post #12 of 39 Old 03-21-2017, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Thanks, everyone, for the well wishes. Unfortunately, the appraiser came out today already, took pictures, I pointed out the pieces I could see (scratch on hood, both bumpers, spare tire carrier), and that seemed to be all he noted, apart from the muffler/exhaust since the Tiburon went under. I am planning to drop it off with a Jeep guy out here in good ol' Chicagoland, and he is going to help me replace factory parts for (likely) Teraflex bumpers and a new muffler/exhaust after market system. I haven't been in an accident in 15+ years, and this is very overwhelming to me, especially trying to figure out how to get them to give me a check for factory parts but have aftermarket parts installed instead. It seems they're not very willing to just send checks anymore, and I've been asked about what shop I'm bringing it to probably a dozen times.

Of course, I would LOVE to get a gnarlier hood and a lift kit + new wheels and tires out of this deal, but I highly doubt I'll get that lucky...
post #13 of 39 Old 03-21-2017, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

I should note that I didn't notice any irregular gaps on the body. I'm about to go attempt to open the tailgate now. I'm concerned the ride is a bit bouncier than it usually is, but I'm not sure if that's because the muffler/exhaust isn't properly secured and it's bouncing.
post #14 of 39 Old 03-21-2017, 05:29 PM
Rock God

Will the pre-settlement inspection include taking it to a body shop to check for frame damage/misalignment? It doesn't seem the appraiser could check that by just looking at it.
JeepGirl83 likes this.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
post #15 of 39 Old 03-21-2017, 07:18 PM
DJ1
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
Will the pre-settlement inspection include taking it to a body shop to check for frame damage/misalignment? It doesn't seem the appraiser could check that by just looking at it.

Exactly. The initial inspection is just the first round to get the initial estimate/initial check. Once the shop really starts to dig into it, then the shop can request for the supplemental. Then that $ can be used to offset the costs on new aftermarket beef.

I'm going through this bull-shit right now BUT it's a blessing in disguise. Thank God no serious injuries outside of a little aftermath soreness BUT I'm basically getting a whole new front beefy axle since the other guy was at fault.

JeepGirl83 likes this.
post #16 of 39 Old 03-21-2017, 07:46 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Sorry for your sorrow Teach. Went through this last year. Read your policy to see if it covers OEM replacement. If not they'll use a pretty word that means your "new" parts are coming off a wrecked jk at a junkyard. Make sure a laser alignment and physical measurements are done to your frame. Nows a good time to go for new bumpers. Make sure your tailgate is checked for bends, crimps and your tub. Good luck Teach.
JeepGirl83 likes this.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved 2015
post #17 of 39 Old 03-22-2017, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Thanks, Rubi dear. Well... I have been on the phone pretty much nonstop with insurance and shops. The asshole in the Tiburon was undoubtedly at fault. My insurance has already made that determination through their investigation, but apparently his insurance (surprise, surprise) hasn't made that ruling yet. An appraiser connected to his insurance came out to look at the Jeep yesterday. My insurance is sending an appraiser to the shop tomorrow. I will go with whichever company gives me the highest estimate.

As of right now, I'm looking at a Teraflex front and back bumper combo with a new Magnaflow exhaust system (links below). My shop is called Wildside Jeep Customs and specializes in Jeep mods. They anticipate the price for (brand new... not recycled, according to insurance) stock parts will be much higher, as will the labor rate, than the aftermarkets I am putting on and my shop's labor rates. Soooo... I've thrown out the idea of a lift kit if I have enough spare cash. If not, then I'll find a way to throw that money back into the JK one way or another

Front bumper: https://teraflex.com/shop_items/56df...d70ed4930279f3

Back bumper: https://teraflex.com/shop_items/528f...d962f416e72f6b

Exhaust: Magnaflow MagnaFlow Black Wrangler Axle-Back Exhaust 15160 (07-17 Wrangler JK) - Free Shipping

DJ1 - sorry to hear you're going through this BS, but sounds like similar situations. So far the pain has really been minimal, despite being hit while stopped by the asshole going 40-50. I'm pissed that my Jeep will now have a crash on its record, but I will gladly take advantage of the opportunity to modify on his insurance's dime
post #18 of 39 Old 03-22-2017, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

I have no doubt my shop will be thorough, and I'm already anticipating supplementals to the insurance company's estimates. He's the best guy in the area, and I trust him with my baby. I definitely need a new spare tire mount, so I'm going to get the heavy duty guy right away in anticipation of bigger tires and a lift... eventually.

Lost my job at the end of this school year... so anything out of my pocket is on hold indefinitely until/unless I get another teaching job lined up for this fall.
post #19 of 39 Old 03-22-2017, 04:52 PM
Rock God

You mentioned the fact the jeep will now have an accident on its history. Not sure if this applies to Jeeps, but no reason it shouldn't.....I know higher end cars often get money for "diminished value" in addition to the repairs. I have never personally tried to deal with diminished value, but I know of people who have.

Something to at least ask about................
post #20 of 39 Old 03-22-2017, 05:13 PM
ಠ_ಠ

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
The only crumple areas of the frame I know of are the front rail extensions. They have corrugations to aid the "crumpling process", and are made of softer steel than the rest of the frame.
Are there other areas of the frame so designed?

Here is a photo of a front rail extension. They are available from the parts department and are easily replaced.

I did not know that about them being easily replaceable and I thought there were one or two 'divots ' like that near the back of frame as well ? I thought there were strategic spots designed to have frames fold a particular way in the event they do have impact heavy enough to bend a frame - not crumple replaceables- but obviously I don't know what I am speaking about. Thanks for straightenin' me out ( serious)

lllllll '11 JKUs
lllllll '95 XJ
post #21 of 39 Old 03-22-2017, 09:57 PM
DJ1
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucleophile View Post
You mentioned the fact the jeep will now have an accident on its history. Not sure if this applies to Jeeps, but no reason it shouldn't.....I know higher end cars often get money for "diminished value" in addition to the repairs. I have never personally tried to deal with diminished value, but I know of people who have.

Something to at least ask about................

That's a damn good point especially since JK's have high resale value. I need to ask my insurance. Thanks for bringing this up....
post #22 of 39 Old 03-22-2017, 10:13 PM
DJ1
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl83 View Post
DJ1 - sorry to hear you're going through this BS, but sounds like similar situations. So far the pain has really been minimal, despite being hit while stopped by the asshole going 40-50. I'm pissed that my Jeep will now have a crash on its record, but I will gladly take advantage of the opportunity to modify on his insurance's dime

Yeah, I'm going on week 4 without my precious and they always stick you with a POS rental. I've got a Ford Fusion and it could have been worse (like driving a Ford Fiesta) if I didn't make my case with the car rental place. My insurance goes through Hertz so I was stuck with what they had on the lot. Enterprise I find is better since they usually have trucks available so hopefully you'll fare better than I. I can't stand driving low to the ground in a sedan especially after rolling on 37s.

I would check on the "diminished value" as it was mentioned earlier.

But hey, the good Lord giveth and the good Lord taketh away. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger right? In this case, our Jeep's will get the extra beef they deserve.

Good luck!
post #23 of 39 Old 03-23-2017, 04:08 AM
Rock God

I guess my experiences have made me cynical but there's unless there's damage that can't be seen there's hardly anything wrong... Hell I have a set of brand new bumpers and muffler I'd happily give you just to get it out of my way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #24 of 39 Old 03-23-2017, 07:58 PM
Granite Guru

Sorry to hear about the accident. Glad you're doing okay considering what happened.

The jeep look like it faired okay and the Tibby was a joke.

NDTguy

2010 Camaro SS L99/A6 Imperial Blue Metallic

'14 JKU Hardtop, M6 bare bones - Gone thanks to the POS TCS.
post #25 of 39 Old 03-24-2017, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTheRipper View Post
I guess my experiences have made me cynical but there's unless there's damage that can't be seen there's hardly anything wrong... Hell I have a set of brand new bumpers and muffler I'd happily give you just to get it out of my way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I may just take you up on that. I'm planning to milk his insurance for every dime I can. So, maybe I'll just put the stock stuff back on and use the insurance money for a lift instead... depending upon the estimate.

Last edited by JeepGirl83; 04-14-2017 at 01:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode