Planning a trip , is it impossible to carry protection ?? [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Planning a trip , is it impossible to carry protection ??

09JK
05-14-2009, 03:43 PM
In the very early stages of planning but was wondering ?? Im in Kansas And was thinking of maybe taking a light wheeling sight seeing trip into Colorado or possibly Utah. Since it will be just me, my 8 year old son and his mother is it impossible for me to take any protection along on the trip ??? And no I dont have a CCW :shaking: not yet anyway

Ogie
05-14-2009, 03:51 PM
I never go on travel/camping trips without "protection". I don't have a CCW, either. I just keep it unloaded in a push-button safe under my seat. I have a speed-loader in a separate compartment of the safe for the ready. If I get pulled over by a cop and he asks, I'll tell him the truth. Most cops don't bother asking or are pretty cool about it if you're honest and have a clean record.

It's not exactly like this one but similar:
http://www.cybersafetyproducts.com/HideAwayblk.jpg

Worse case scenario, as the saying goes: I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six.

edit: my Jeep gun is just a cheap snub nose .357. That way if it gets lost or confiscated - no big loss. You don't want to lose your $800 Sig

09JK
05-14-2009, 03:56 PM
No problems with the crossing of state lines and such ???

Ogie
05-14-2009, 03:59 PM

If you don't advertise it, who's going to know? But that's just me. You can check on NRA's website or Google State statutes about traveling with firearms.

StubEXrube
05-14-2009, 05:35 PM
I was thinking "How hard is it to stuff a few rubbers in the glove box?"....but never mind. :shaking:

09JK
05-14-2009, 08:28 PM
Well that depends on how big they are LOL :thefinger:

StubEXrube
05-14-2009, 08:34 PM
Well that depends on how big they are LOL :thefinger:

:laughing2:

Please have a safe & fun trip. :beer::beer::beer:

gold knight
05-14-2009, 08:37 PM
Well that depends on how big they are LOL :thefinger::lol:Magnums, we know they won't fit right but damn do they impress the lady at the counter.

StubEXrube
05-14-2009, 09:59 PM
:lol:Magnums, we know they won't fit right but damn do they impress the lady at the counter.

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

plus you can always use a couple of rubber bands to keep 'em from coming off.

Broncojohn
05-15-2009, 04:15 AM

I never had any problems. I have a CCW now but interstate laws can be pretty loose if your not staying. I would keep it unloaded and locked up whenever you may have a run in to cops. When I had to transport in California I believe the ammo had to be stored in a different place then the gun and the gun had to be locked up.

kerryp
05-15-2009, 05:26 AM
Do a little research to confirm this, but I believe the law states that you are allowed to "transport" guns when traveling, meaning you can have a gun in your vehicle because you are transporting it, but every states laws or a little different on how it must be transported, so you will need to check each states laws, here is a link I just found that should help you out

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id=59

jkdrone
05-15-2009, 06:43 AM
In the very early stages of planning but was wondering ?? Im in Kansas And was thinking of maybe taking a light wheeling sight seeing trip into Colorado or possibly Utah. Since it will be just me, my 8 year old son and his mother is it impossible for me to take any protection along on the trip ??? And no I dont have a CCW :shaking: not yet anyway

If you don't have a CCW, then don't expect any sort of allowances from other states. CO will honor the CCW of Kansas. BUT, without such you would need to comply with their non-CCW laws. I don't know what those are, but it might be something like "pistols have to be locked, out of reach, and stored without ammunition" - which would make any such handgun completely useless in the purpose of defense.

That being said, I've traveled all over this beautiful country, cities, backwoods, and wilderness, and haven't needed a gun. Surprisingly, the only place I ever feel I need a gun is where I live.

!c

09JK
05-15-2009, 03:35 PM
Would have no problem keeping it locked up. Atleast I will know its there if needed. Some reason the movie "Wrong Turn" keeps coming to mind LOL :laughing: