Opinions on Cold Air Intake and Throttle Body Spacers [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Opinions on Cold Air Intake and Throttle Body Spacers

JerzeyJeeper
01-03-2008, 12:36 PM
I was just curious what everyone's opinion/experiences were with these mods. I plan on adding the Airaid, Poweraid, and probably a pre-filter within the next month or so. Pros, cons, and any other feedback would be very helpful. Thanks!!!

BigO
01-03-2008, 01:05 PM
As far as engine performance goes, the Airaid (w/o pre-filter) made a noticeable difference in the "get-up-and-go" on my Jeep. I noticed it as soon as I took a test drive after putting it on. And that was with the factory muffler still installed. I have no idea if it made any difference in my mpg's. I don't pay attention to gas mileage.

Can't comment on the Poweraid. Never used one.

kthrash
01-03-2008, 01:07 PM
Airaid is worth the $$$ the Poweraid is not.

venom
01-03-2008, 01:45 PM
airaid helped, poweraid was a freebie when they were doing the buy the intake, get the spacer free deal, haven't got it yet - sent the coupon in right before xmas

PhilD
01-03-2008, 04:03 PM
Can't really tell if I gained any power with an Airaid, but it felt like I did. Throttle response definitely improved.

MichaelW
01-03-2008, 04:31 PM
Can't really tell if I gained any power with an Airaid, but it felt like I did. Throttle response definitely improved.Yep. I doubt there is any extra ponies involved but the butt dyno said it "felt" faster. So I'd concur with faster throttle response.

I would think that something that has no apparent (to my unskilled mind) deficits or being problematic as in requiring additional maintenance such as a cold air intake and it's cleaning and oiling, the throttle body spacer, if indeed it did provide, even the smallest amount of improvement, would be part of the OEM package. :stirthepot:

007JOE
01-04-2008, 01:42 PM
Well I have made my own and it's posted somewhere in this place :D but I did notice crisper throtle response, a deeper intake sound (growl) and yes, improved slightly my MPG but only in steady highway cruising. (1.5 to 2 mpg better) with everything else being stock. I currently drive around 75mph on the highway, no lift or tires (yet :bawling:)

JerzeyJeeper
01-05-2008, 10:07 PM
:grinpimp: I'll probably wait until I receive the free TBS from the BOGO deal. Has anyone received this freebee via the offer yet? And if so, how long did you wait to receive it?

Xyster
01-10-2008, 04:04 PM
I did the free tbs. I got it about 1 and half weeks after sending in the proof of purchase. Don't know how much good it does, but for free....

JerzeyJeeper
01-10-2008, 11:20 PM
Week and a half? i thought the wait would last until after the opportunity to mail back the required proof expires (Jan 31). I guess I should be receiving it any day now...:bounce::emb:

Zonk 1/75
01-11-2008, 02:40 PM
I have installed both the CAI and spacer.

Seems to have more punch, and I love the sound.............

Have not calculated MPG.

Overall I am pleased with it. :cool:

Landshark
01-16-2008, 09:44 AM
I installed an AFE intake w/ 7 layer filter and the performance is noticable especially at hghwy speeds or around 40-60 mph. definetely a noticable dif in mpg's. could coupled with the Gibson exhaust though

venom
01-16-2008, 09:25 PM
got my free spacer today
took about 3 weeks

JerzeyJeeper
01-20-2008, 02:02 PM
So it actually arrived exactly 3 weeks later. I'll update everyone on the performance difference soon...

Chris O.
01-20-2008, 04:58 PM
I installed a Volant brand CAI, and it improved performance. The only negitive thing is at full throttle, the noise from the in-coming air is obnoxious. Drowns out the tunes, and forget any kind of conversation.

JerzeyJeeper
01-26-2008, 04:24 PM
Well finally installed it today! :bounce: Unfortunately, it took me about 4 hours to install the CAI and TBS!!! I'll be the first to admit that I don't have an extensive knowledge of mechanics (mostly maintenance experience) but word to the wise: without the proper tools, the installation is MUCH more difficult.

First off...the temperature sensor is a B@#% to get off. I ended up disconnecting the wiring harness from it first (which the instructions claim you don't need to do :pissed:), then I used needle-nose pliers to yank that sucker off.

The rest was relatively smooth EXCEPT for the TBS install. The lower right bolt is IMPOSSIBLE to take off with a standard ratchet set. :shaking: You'll need the miniature kind to have the room to remove it. Since I couldn't get my hands on a small set, I used pliers...and it takes an eternity and herculean strength to get it off (putting the new one on was even tougher for me because by then, I was already exhausted).

I did take it out for a short test drive and it does sound and feel like I've increased my horsepower...only time will tell if I save anything at the pump, however...

Updates soon to follow...