PHX Wheelers For The Wounded [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: PHX Wheelers For The Wounded

sgt rock
05-08-2009, 04:55 AM
Wheelers for the Wounded Ride-Along, Saturday May 16, 2009

http://www.wheelersforthewounded.com/images/WFTW-LOGO3.PNG

Join us for a fun spring time ride-along event as we play host to the Arizona stop on the Wheelers for the Wounded 2009 tour!

Saturday May 16th, 9am
Seven Springs trail to Seven Springs Group Campground

We will be hosting a group of wounded veterans and other disabled folks from around the valley for a day of fun on the trail, ending at the group campground in beautiful Seven Springs with a BBQ!

So how can you help? We need volunteer drivers! This is a scenic and not highly difficult trail located north of the Cave Creek/Carefree area. However, we ask that in order to volunteer you must:

Have a 4wd vehicle w/recovery gear and in sound mechanical working order.
Have at minimum a CB radio for communication.
Current drivers license and vehicle insurance.
Able to commit to the entire day.
Follow a no alcohol on the trail rule.
Dogs ok but MUST be on a leash at all times.
Have a good attitude!

The ride along event will officially end around 1pm Saturday, but all volunteers are welcome to stay overnight with us at the Seven Springs campground which we have reserved until noon Sunday. If you plan on staying over night, please:

Bring some firewood
Prepare appropriately for the weekend weather
You are responsible for your own dinner Saturday night and breakfast Sunday morning. Only lunch on Saturday will be provided.

If you are interested in being a volunteer driver for this event please contact corbin8or@cox.net, or 602-770-4110. You will be placed on a volunteer list and matched up with a participant, so please do not just show up at the event! We are asking all volunteer drivers to donate $10 to cover the cost of a Tonto Pass and event fees.

If you know of a disabled Vet who would like to participate in the ride-along please have them contact Corbin. We are limiting this event to 20 participants!!

BLK RUBI ON 40s
05-08-2009, 06:47 AM
haha good to have u back bro... and geeze, I thought I woke up early but 3am...!

ZooseJK
05-08-2009, 08:38 AM
haha good to have u back bro... and geeze, I thought I woke up early but 3am...!

Welcome Sarg!

sgt rock
05-09-2009, 05:56 AM

i work a graveyard shift from home- you have to picture the office space guy so i REALLY so not to get bored get to post!

Ken Jong Il
05-09-2009, 09:36 AM
Pretty stoked about this trip Sarge :bounce:

sgt rock
05-09-2009, 03:28 PM
ok guys i updated the info!!

Jason
05-13-2009, 11:32 PM
Hey guys...just so you all know, we will be providing lunch AND dinner on Saturday, as well as breakfast and lunch on Sunday. :)

I know it's a been a bit on the warm side (am dry camping just north of Phoenix right now), but it's not too bad at night...at least, nothing a few cold ones can't fix once the trail riding portion is over for the day. :D One thing's for sure though...I'll ensure my water misting system is filled prior to heading out. :smokin:

See you all on Saturday! :beer:

Jason
05-14-2009, 11:34 AM
BTW...there was a snafu with the original event host...apparently, although he had over a year to prepare, he held exactly zero fund raisers (said they weren't needed because everyone was going to pay themselves...which was not what was supposed to happen because we provide the food for everyone and we pay for the wounded service members as far as campsite fees and such), didn't get in touch with any wounded service members, and didn't get the word out very well either.

But, we were fortunate enough to get new event hosts (Corbin with Zebra Sports and Will with Sierra Expeditions). We'll have food on hand and wounded service members in attendance. Heck, Corbin himself is a disabled vet in a wheelchair and has his own off-road rig. :)

Anyhow, if anyone still wants to join us this weekend, contact Corbin at (602) 770-4110 and he can give you the info. We'll need to know ASAP though so we can ensure we have enough food for everyone. The place we're going to is Carefree...don't think there's anything real technical there as far as trails go, but Corbin did mention a side trail that has some challenging stuff that people may want to try out. If nothing else, it will still be a lot of fun to hang out with everyone and entertain the guys we'll have with us. :D

Oh, and for those of you not into camping...there is a hotel close to where we will be camping out Saturday night.

Jeep School
05-19-2009, 10:03 PM
Jason,

It was awesome to meet you today! You ROCK! Keep up the fantastic work!

Happy trails,