Which Spares [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Which Spares

gcg
01-01-2008, 04:54 PM
I'm curious as to what spare parts people are choosing to carry for their JK's.

Also, what sort of breakage have folks experienced on the trail and has any of it stranded anyone.

Finally, are there any special tools other than a good set of hand tools that people feel are needed to handle problems on the trail.

GOAT1
01-01-2008, 08:51 PM
I'm curious as to what spare parts people are choosing to carry for their JK's.

Also, what sort of breakage have folks experienced on the trail and has any of it stranded anyone.

Finally, are there any special tools other than a good set of hand tools that people feel are needed to handle problems on the trail.

Front axle shafts, they are relatively cheap from the dealer and the tools to change one. I think a 36 mm socket for the big axle nut and a 13 mm 12 pt socket for the unit bearing bolts.

MichaelW
01-01-2008, 09:21 PM
Duct tape, bailing wire (no, really!)

Vise grips have fixed broken linkages to pinching off busted brake lines.

Tire repair kit.

Ratchet straps. Good for many things, including reseating beads on tires.

$2.00 in line fuel filter.

PhilD
01-02-2008, 07:47 AM
I carry spare driveshafts, tie rod, rod ends, U-joints, ball joints, etc. I plan on adding a set of axle shafts also.

Apart from the usual tool kit, I carry a Front End Steering Kit (bunch of pullers and separators) and a U-joint Tool.

My tool kit is pretty extensive and includes just about everything I could need. I also carry a Dewalt cordless drill, Dewalt cordless grinder, and a Ready Welder.

But the odds are whatever spares you carry, you'll end up breaking something else, and the tool you need is the one at home.

igofshn
01-02-2008, 08:00 AM
always carry my Ready Welder.

Alec W
01-02-2008, 09:23 AM
I carry spare driveshafts, tie rod, rod ends, U-joints, ball joints, etc. I plan on adding a set of axle shafts also.

Apart from the usual tool kit, I carry a Front End Steering Kit (bunch of pullers and separators) and a U-joint Tool.

My tool kit is pretty extensive and includes just about everything I could need. I also carry a Dewalt cordless drill, Dewalt cordless grinder, and a Ready Welder.

But the odds are whatever spares you carry, you'll end up breaking something else, and the tool you need is the one at home.

I try to only go wheeling with people like you and don't carry anything ;)

Nah, I carry quite a few tools and as of yet I am undecided on what spare parts to carry for the JK. For now I’m planning on axle shafts (when I upgrade mine) and a tie-rod. I have spare driveshaft’s but they are really too big to carry.

PhilD
01-02-2008, 09:42 AM
I have spare driveshaft’s but they are really too big to carry.I leave a lot of my spares at the trail head in Rod H's pickup, which in TX is usually about 10-15 minutes away. On a long tough trail, I'd carry them with me.