AR15 vs .22 AR vs 12 Gauge [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: AR15 vs .22 AR vs 12 Gauge

doubleoh7
05-02-2009, 07:07 PM
So I have three choices I am debating between and I want to start getting some feedback. I am primarily looking for a midrange weapon that I can use in close quarters such as defending my home and for sporting fun at the range and in the desert.

I like the AR15's but they are expensive, I have found kits at about 1300.00 new. I like the look of the .22lr Assault Rifles, but I don't know much about them (feedback on these would be greatly appreciated) as far as their defensive effectiveness and their accuracy range. And lastly, the sound of chambering a shell in the 12 gauge will get most criminals to run, so I think it will do fine for defense, but not so sure about sporting fun.

Anywho, thanks for your time and input :bounce:

P.S. If it makes a difference I am in California

BeerMonkeY
05-02-2009, 07:55 PM
well i cant help much but you can build a ar for less than that. id say no on a .22 very small. and i keep my home defense guns loaded so the only thing a criminal will hear is the saftey being clicked off

BeerMonkeY
05-02-2009, 07:57 PM
just saw you ar ein cali, i have no idea what u can legally have there

rockrash
05-02-2009, 08:08 PM
Call up Del-ton or check them out on line there ar kits start at 499.00 and all you would need to do is buy a lower around 200.00. Ar's are plenty fun to shoot but so are shot guns my buddys and me go to the desert all the time with a few boxes of clays and a few hundred rounds and have a lot of fun, just get your self a clay tosser.

here is one I bought and made a mount for the jeep

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd248/rockrash2/249-1.jpg?t=1241319869

here is a pic of my shot gun and ar

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd248/rockrash2/002-8.jpg?t=1241319936

and I live in California as well:beer:

doubleoh7
05-02-2009, 09:06 PM
Call up Del-ton or check them out on line there ar kits start at 499.00 and all you would need to do is buy a lower around 200.00. Ar's are plenty fun to shoot but so are shot guns my buddys and me go to the desert all the time with a few boxes of clays and a few hundred rounds and have a lot of fun, just get your self a clay tosser.

here is one I bought and made a mount for the jeep

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd248/rockrash2/249-1.jpg?t=1241319869

here is a pic of my shot gun and ar

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd248/rockrash2/002-8.jpg?t=1241319936

and I live in California as well:beer:

your pics are showing up???

doubleoh7
05-02-2009, 11:15 PM
fixed, nice pics.

so i've never owned a firearm, but i have done some shooting. if i pick up the kit, will you help me put it together :thefinger: should i just buy the lower locally? anything else i should know?

Broncojohn
05-03-2009, 05:16 AM
I have a Winchester 1300 Defender for home and Trail. It's as short as you can get and still be legal. You can pick up a folding stock to make it more usefull, mine came with pistol grip only. I did own mine when stationed in California so I believe it's legal. It's great at home and perfect for camping. 8 rounds and very light.

rockrash
05-03-2009, 08:14 AM
fixed, nice pics.

so i've never owned a firearm, but i have done some shooting. if i pick up the kit, will you help me put it together :thefinger: should i just buy the lower locally? anything else i should know?

Ya you can pick up the lower recever locally. Cold war shooters have some good deals on used ones some times, they are in highland. When you get the lower you will also need to buy a bullet button or a prince 50 because the kit will only come with a standard mag release. Its a strait forward build only took me an hour or so, just take your time because you can nick up your recever if not careful. Ar15.com has a good write up on it. If you live near norco I would be happy to give you a hand when you get all your parts:beer:

doubleoh7
05-03-2009, 05:32 PM
Ya you can pick up the lower recever locally. Cold war shooters have some good deals on used ones some times, they are in highland. When you get the lower you will also need to buy a bullet button or a prince 50 because the kit will only come with a standard mag release. Its a strait forward build only took me an hour or so, just take your time because you can nick up your recever if not careful. Ar15.com has a good write up on it. If you live near norco I would be happy to give you a hand when you get all your parts:beer:

a wealth of information you are sir... thanks :beer:

rockrash
05-03-2009, 08:14 PM
a wealth of information you are sir... thanks :beer:

Glad I could help:beer: