Possible closure of 24 million acres in the west! [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Possible closure of 24 million acres in the west!

StockJKU
05-01-2009, 07:18 PM
This is just crazy! I encourage everyone to click this link and send your thoughts to Washington! http://www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/rapidresponse.asp

PICKERINGTON, Ohio -- The U.S. House Committee on Natural Resources will hold a hearing on May 5 to consider a bill that would designate more than 24 million acres of public lands in western states as Wilderness or Wilderness Preservation System land. If approved by the full Congress, the measure would close off more than 24 million acres in Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington and Wyoming to off-highway vehicle (OHV) riders, the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) reports.

This is equivalent to a land grab the size of the state of Indiana.

Even though H.R. 980 -- The Northern Rockies Ecosystem Protection Act -- only affects western states, Rep. Carolyn Maloney of New York City introduced it.

"This is one of the biggest OHV land grabs in our nation's history," said AMA Vice President of Government Relations Ed Moreland. "Even more disconcerting than the fact that the bill is being proposed by a representative from a densely populated urban area, New York City, is that the bill is being considered without the support of a single member of Congress who represents the affected districts. Shouldn't the people who live in these areas have some say in whether or not they should be banned from riding in it?

"To keep OHV riders from being shut out of even more public land, we have to act immediately," he said. "Concerned motorcyclists, ATV riders and others must let their lawmakers know that they enjoy motorized recreation, and that we have a right to do so responsibly on America's public lands."

Additionally, Moreland said, there are other bills on the legislative horizon on Capitol Hill that would close even more public land to responsible riding. They include:

Senate Bill 799 -- America's Red Rock Wilderness Act -- and its companion measure, H. R. 1925, would designate some 9.4 million acres of Bureau of Land Management land in Utah as Wilderness.

Senate Bill 721 and H.R. 1769 would add 22,000 acres to the 394,000-acre Alpine Lakes Wilderness Area in Washington State.

Riders and AMA members can contact their federal lawmakers and tell them what they think by going to http://www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/rapidresponse.asp There, the names, addresses and telephone numbers for members of each congressional delegation appear. There is even a pre-written letter that can be sent via email.

The AMA also encourages individuals to sign up for the AMA Government Relations Department's Action E-list so that they can be notified by e-mail when their support is needed to make a difference on important issues.

yoda13
05-01-2009, 07:24 PM
I already posted the one about Moab, this one slipped in under my Radar, thanks for posting it up...same lady from NY is trying to take all of this out...Moab too...

our sport, hobby, and passion is under attack, and the environmentalists feel they have not had a more willing Congress than this in which to push through these measures...if we don't take action now, we may lose the opportunity to do so...

many of these groups have convinced Congress that the public doesn't really care about making more land wilderness or support it, one of the two, and they have more money than we do to make this happen...if we do not take action, we could wake up by the middle of summer, or certainly by the holidays and have all of these lands lost to us forever...

Moab, if it gets that far, might raise more passion within the offroad community, but this is just as bad...please write your Congress people...I have contacted all of mine...

Ogie
05-01-2009, 07:33 PM
Rep. Carolyn Maloney of New York City introduced it.

Why is a New York elitist introducing a bill that affects people out west and no near herself? How the f*ck does this affect her?

With apologies to another liberal idiot for stealing his shtick...

NEW RULE:

Congressmen can only introduce bills that only directly affect their own constituents.

God, I hate politicians.

Broncojohn
05-01-2009, 07:51 PM
Why is a New York elitist introducing a bill that affects people out west and no near herself? How the f*ck does this affect her?

With apologies to another liberal idiot for stealing his shtick...

NEW RULE:

Congressmen can only introduce bills that only directly affect their own constituents.

God, I hate politicians.

Because that the way Liberals feel, you must live by there jacked up ways because your ways are destructive and not theirs. Screw God; Screw your freedoms, drink the Kool-Aid and do as I say not as I do.

We all need to live in Gov't run ghetto’s in overpopulated cities, so the rich Liberals can protect the poor and have them work fulfilling jobs (by their standards) that go nowhere and hold you down so they can continue their elitist reign and enjoy the world for themselves.:thefinger:

If every one is "Rich" that mean everyone is "Poor".

Prope
05-01-2009, 08:42 PM
Because that the way Liberals feel, you must live by there jacked up ways because your ways are destructive and not theirs. Screw God; Screw your freedoms, drink the Kool-Aid and do as I say not as I do.

We all need to live in Gov't run ghetto’s in overpopulated cities, so the rich Liberals can protect the poor and have them work fulfilling jobs (by their standards) that go nowhere and hold you down so they can continue their elitist reign and enjoy the world for themselves.:thefinger:

If every one is "Rich" that mean everyone is "Poor".

WELL SAID!!!!!

yoda13
05-01-2009, 09:51 PM
yeah, that would seem to sum it up...:pissed:

N2rock
05-02-2009, 06:33 AM

EVERY Politician has one thing in mind- how to make a name for themselves, how to capture the public and media attention. The more your name gets into the media, the more recognized your name becomes. Then when it comes voting time, the uneducated voters (and by uneducated I mean the ones that don't pay attention to politics which unfortunately is the vast majority of voters) walk into the voting booth and cast their vote for the name they recognize. :pissed:

We have a TX Congress woman (Sheila Jackson Lee) who is the biggest camera whore I've ever seen in my life. If there is a news crew somewhere, she'll be in front of them. She's been in office since 1995 and has done nothing but whore the camera.

Publicity is what are politicians thrive for

unisawyer
05-02-2009, 08:19 PM
:pissed:
Oh this really gets me going. I`m in Wyoming where we were first asked if we wanted the wolves reintroduced. The general consensus from Wyoming, Idaho,Montana "NO". Next thing that happened was special interest groups got their way.While no one in the 3 state area could stop them.
We worked hard to make the mountains a safe place to go,graze cattle stuff like that, you know "prosper" hunt elk feed your family.Now the grizzly is a big threat. You cant go anywhere unless you are armed to the teeth. Even then you have to defeat a predator who can live for 8 minutes without a heartbeat.All brought on by a fantasy of the eco system being as it was before "we" screwed it up.Why don't we put these predators everywhere.Just so we all know just how wonderful it is to have a animal living next to you with the right to kill...people. Murder. Authorized by the US government.
Anyway back to the land restriction subject. I feel like the decision has already been made. All we can do is scream for representation by our elected officials. Whether you like them or not.

yoda13
05-02-2009, 09:49 PM
we shall see, I am still a little hopeful that this thing, as well as the Moab thing, can be defeated...

chromedome
05-03-2009, 05:27 PM
we shall see, I am still a little hopeful that this thing, as well as the Moab thing, can be defeated...

I hope you're right, but with the dems having taken over the Exec & Leg. branches, I think we'll be lucky if we can keep our jeeps, much less use them anywhere!

yoda13
05-03-2009, 10:55 PM
well, they don't control the courts...there are still some avenues there perhaps...if we could raise the funds....plus, Chrysler needs Jeep to make money, so no worries there right now...

I know your fear though...you know anyone in Colorado have them right the new Senator Udall, he is on the important committee, and looking at the committee, he might be the swing vote on whether it comes out of committee or gets killed...if it gets killed, we don't have to worry about a full floor vote...:)

So, if you know anybody in Colorado, have them flood his office with stuff...he is from a state where many value off roading and multiple uses of the public lands...he might be conviceable...beats me though...but its sure worth a few minutes of our time....

urdaddyjeep
05-08-2009, 01:46 PM
those freakin bleeding hearts on the left need to get their ass kicked...

so_calif_rubi
05-14-2009, 10:48 PM
I hope you're right, but with the dems having taken over the Exec & Leg. branches, I think we'll be lucky if we can keep our jeeps, much less use them anywhere!

LOL
Yeah, Barbra Boxer and Mary Bono-Mac just closed thousands of acres out here near us.....part of Santa Rosa, Thomas Mt and even Chuilla Mt. :O(
:pissed::pissed::pissed::pissed:

Maybe Jeeps will be outlawed soon.....................