JKOwners Forum banner

How to flip a jeep over: socal mud

6K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  bullcrew 
#1 · (Edited)
So went and did a 4wheel parts customer run in ocotillo with a bunch of guys, we did some canyon dragging, almost laid the jeep on its side 2 times Scot dented his door laying his on the hill and pushing through (dirt was soft thankfully lol)

Day started out muddy and was a blast normally hate mud but tons of jeeps (150+) and a desert with canyons and truck haven was a blast.

We rounded a corner to see this jeep bottom facing us and no movement then the door opened and out popped a guy then a guy then another guy and the lady inside had her hair stuck under the blown out side of the top between cage and ground.
I hooked up a winch line and pulled a smidge so she could get her hair out, had a buddy hook up at a diagonal angle so he could keep it from sliding around towards me and not flipping.
So in a slow and balanced pull got it to the apex and then smidged it to let it fall slower.

Aside of needing some oil it exited the run on its own accord., the people were fine and what I noticed was no front driveshaft. I assume he hit the mud and the short wheelbase slid out, the dad was mad at him (was dads tj) but in favor of the kid the no 4x4 made it a accident waiting to happen in the slippery mud.

Anyhow scott and I found some canyons and ruts to go through and with them being so nasty not laying the jeeps on their sides became angame . Teetered 2 times on 2 wheels told my boys to lean driver side slowly ....:punk:

Ended up breaking my rear axle driveside , somehow my arb twin compressor popped 2 fuses and left me relying on rear Detroit on obstacles till it broke...

96 mile tow (AAA thanks and buddy with me who had the AAA you :punk:)

Scott pushed through this, dented his door but made it....we crept a few more with no high sides and almost laid the jeeps over a couple times.

And after all that happened with mud, carnage, jeep flips, jeep breakage and a long day the jeeps were still happy! Here's proof...lol

And the not so happy broken axle

See less See more
#3 ·
Short wheelbase, no front driveshaft on greasy mud and dips and ruts in the mud . Probably started to hit a angle on a rut and push out the rear and front not pulling let it whip.
My wife slid out on ice in our yj years ago and flipped it upside down in a ditch this way had she been in 4x4 it would have helped. This guy had no front driveshaft so no 4x4.

I was goofing off in 2 wheel drive and the jk was all over with the back end swinging as soon as I did 4x4 it held lines and wasn't any fun.

#5 ·
Ready to go again harder this time....:shitstorm:

A huge huge thanks to Austen at rubicontested.com I called left a message he called me back on a day off I told him my predicament and he went to the warehouse and grabbed me what I needed. He went down and met me at San Clements on top of that...

Factory ten axles non Rubin chromoly delivered $309 with everything (wheel studs, bearings, race, seals, and abs plate) except backing plate

Nicest part is I can go either 5x5 or 5x5.5 with the hole patterns...

#6 · (Edited)
How in the hell do you flop on this??! My flop was driver error but at least it was on a climb!

Hat's off to rubicontested.com. That's RCO level of customer service!

#7 ·
Its called dad didn't out hid front drive shaft in and a short wheelbase at speed in greasy mud is a problem waiting to happen. Hit a rut when it came around apparently .

My wife had the back end of our yj come around years ago and flipped it in a ditch from ice on road....difference is she should have had it in 4x4 giv n the conditions the kid driving didn't have that option.
This is greasy slick mud I was in 2wd and ALL over the place with the long wheelbase then 4wd when I got tired of it pushing off ruts and all over can't imagine how bad it was in a ti no front drive going....

Point is it was not the kids doing he was 17 (inexperienced) it was dads jeep and the mud was slippery a bad combination

#8 ·
Everyone should look up how to correctly right a flipped vehicle. Unless there wasn't a strong place to hook it with the winch, the higher up the better. Maybe the rock sliders weren't strong enough.

Also, in my opinion the recovering Jeep should be square to the flipped one, not on an angle. It's putting sideways stress on it and making the winch work harder.

#9 · (Edited)
1- Bolt on sliders not gonna happen in this case here and of course I went as high as possible. Frame rail was only spot.
2- Mud and the front slid towards me getting me off a muddy slant so I'd anchor better
3- got it where it was square and added a second winch line at another angle to keep ot square as it flipped
4- winched in sequence to evenly pull it
5- slowed down as the vehicle got to the apex of the balancing point and let it SLOWLY come down without us jerking it down

All in all and that was common sense and not read I'd say I did OK...But hey that's just my .02

My thinking was the sliders in this case weren't sturdy and I don't want a chunk flying at me and my 5yr old, the front frame by snatch block was our second anchor point and I got back in my rig he wasn't using synthetic rope so I didn't want to risk breakage and backlash of it.

Now I've winched 2 times in my life this being the second one, I've rigged to trees for logging so I'm not totally new.

If you look at the pics you will see a line from my jk (black one) and in another pic you do t see my line but moes line off to the side at an angle. There are 2 hooked to it, it wouldn't even try to flip right side in mud just wanted to slide.

You see his line going to right of screen my line is going back to the black jeep squared up to the pull my line isn't visible but 2 posts up you see a shot from my black jeep from inside and the winch line going out to the bottom... the silver jk behind me is strapped to me to keep me from sliding if the wheels don't grab in the mud.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.