Idea for vendors - make us a tailpipe! [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Idea for vendors - make us a tailpipe!

venom
12-16-2007, 11:25 AM
4 Door JK exhaust systems w/a muffler relocate would be a simple thing except for the tailpipe to go in after you move the muffler.
For someone with a shop, or a friend with a shop or whatever, seems like a pretty simple thing to get some tails bent up and sell them.
I know I'd love to have one without all the hassle of going into a shop and waiting for them to custom bend me one.
I have a flowmaster 50 and heat shield sitting in the garage right now waiting, just dreading installing it and then having to deal with a shop.

igofshn
12-16-2007, 05:53 PM
I didn't add a tailpipe to mine. I left it where it ended when I removed my stock muffler and added a flowmaster along the fram rails. it comes over the axle and stops. Perfect. It is out of the way and doesn't get smashed.

WTF_LOL
12-16-2007, 09:07 PM
I didn't add a tailpipe to mine. I left it where it ended when I removed my stock muffler and added a flowmaster along the fram rails. it comes over the axle and stops. Perfect. It is out of the way and doesn't get smashed.

What about fumes? Have you been out off road with the top off yet? I would assume the fumes would be a little bit of a problem like that

venom
12-16-2007, 09:14 PM
What about fumes? Have you been out off road with the top off yet? I would assume the fumes would be a little bit of a problem like that

that was my thinking too

igofshn
12-17-2007, 07:29 AM
Yes I have been off road with the top off. There isn't a problem with fumes.

igofshn
12-17-2007, 07:31 AM
I was also worried about fumes, but since I have driven it for a few thousand miles, I have had no problems.

Alaska-HWY JK
12-17-2007, 11:30 PM
I had mine bent at a shop in April. Similar to the Cooltech offering. I paid $20 cash for it.

JR
12-18-2007, 10:20 AM
If you want someone to offer a prebent mandrel tailpipe, and tailpipe with flowmaster muffler in a kit, I would suggest talking to Rustys (rustysoffroad.com)

They do that sorta thing with the wranglers, cherokee, grand cherokee, and liberty. They would probably do it for the JK as well.

venom
12-18-2007, 12:11 PM
If you want someone to offer a prebent mandrel tailpipe, and tailpipe with flowmaster muffler in a kit, I would suggest talking to Rustys (rustysoffroad.com)

They do that sorta thing with the wranglers, cherokee, grand cherokee, and liberty. They would probably do it for the JK as well.

That's what gave me the idea, they offer just tails for everything else.
I was gonna drop them an email but there's no links on their site. I guess I could do the old fashioned thing and CALL them some time :shaking:

JR
12-18-2007, 12:18 PM
I would call...Chances are you'd never get a reply email anyways.

seer
01-22-2008, 05:28 PM
I still love my CoolTech. In a small town without a dedicated muffler shop, it's a great way to go. It comes with a stainless tailpipe too.

WTF_LOL
04-03-2008, 09:47 PM
I would call...Chances are you'd never get a reply email anyways.

Gotta love Rusty's!

PUDDLZ
04-07-2008, 06:26 PM

Brett @ 4xfix.com has it out, I've got it installed ;)

Woods
04-07-2008, 06:36 PM
Brett @ 4xfix.com has it out, I've got it installed ;)

304 stainless mandrel bent pipe, with exhaust hanger. $159 plus shipping.

http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/677/minidsc4999xt5.jpg

Move the evap canister and install the muffler here:

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/503/minidsc4995nr7.jpg

PUDDLZ
04-07-2008, 07:15 PM

http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/677/minidsc4999xt5.jpg

Move the evap canister and install the muffler here:

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/503/minidsc4995nr7.jpg
OK so now that everybody has it for the record, those are the pic's of PUDDLZ under carriage except it was before the storage area was modified. :beer:

Chris O.
06-15-2008, 07:11 PM
I've built several where the muffler gets tucked into the area ahead of the rear axle, and the tail pipe exit is out of the left rear corner of the bumper.

Yep, there is plenty of room (W/O a body lift!!!) to run the tail pipe up and OVER the top of the frame and punch a hole in the bumper*, and dump the exhaust gases out of the bumper. Works great cause there is no tail pipe hanging below the bumper!

I used the heat insulation that was above the stock muffler, to protect the areas above the tail pipe. I'd post pictures, but my web site wont let me at this time. Email me for pics.

* I recommend NOT doing this with the stock plastic bumper cause it would probably melt. I've done it several times with the M.O.R.E. all steel bumpers and had zero issues or problems.

finishlinewest
01-27-2009, 08:31 AM
We remove the stock muffler, cut a 22" section near the charcoal cannister and weld in a round Cherry Bomb. We cut the rear section near the spring and weld in a close to 60 degree exit with a dump near the driver rear tire. I spent all weekend trying to smash it on something and couldn't. We offer this conversion in house for $125.00

http://finishlinewest.smugmug.com/photos/461093408_dE5M2-X2.jpg

jkdrone
02-03-2009, 11:13 AM

Woods - the main reason I haven't gone with a kit like this (I need to replace my muffler/tip due to crushing effect) is that it's even more exposed than the stock one.

On a recent wheeling trip, pretty much _everyone_ with a stock muffler on a JK came back with a flattened tailpipe. If it's sticking out under the bumper, it's going to get sacrificed on the first rock.

I'd love to see something that would put the exhaust end in either the stock position, or even better, a position about 1.5" higher (I'll likely just cut the very end off of mine for now). (Or, I can just dream about coming out of the wheel-well? =)

!c

Chris O.
02-08-2009, 03:17 PM
Here's some pics of "through the bumper" style tail pipe:

Raingler
02-08-2009, 03:26 PM
Here's some pics of "through the bumper" style tail pipe:
Props Chris, the visual is worth a 1000 words. :beer:

jkdrone
02-09-2009, 06:48 AM
Chris - that's nice, and would resolve the problem well, afaict. Only question - does it actually come in contact w/ the shock boot, or is that just a perspective issue w/ the photograph?

!c

Chris O.
02-09-2009, 08:00 AM
Chris - that's nice, and would resolve the problem well, afaict. Only question - does it actually come in contact w/ the shock boot, or is that just a perspective issue w/ the photograph?

!c

Thanks guys, I've always liked the through the bumper style tailpipe exit. It sure protect it and gives it that racer look.

It does'nt affect the shock boot (has'nt yet, anyway!)

Keep on Jeepin',
Chris

medsker
02-09-2009, 08:47 AM
I've been driving mine for over 10,000 miles with the relocated muffler and no tailpipe now and have never smelled fumes...for what it's worth.

Medsker

HDC
02-11-2009, 11:13 AM
Even with the heavy metal bumpers I'd think there's still hot spots that might be burn hazards. Could you sleeve that last foot or so of the exhaust pipe with some exhaust wrap to keep it from transferring heat?