shudder in auto transmission [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: shudder in auto transmission

robertwbrown
12-10-2007, 04:06 PM
IHAVE NOTICED A SHUDDER WHEN THE TRANNY SHIFTS INTO SECOND GEAR DEALER TOLD ME THAT THIS WAS NORMAL FOR THIS TRANSMISSION AND THAT IT WOULD NOT EFFECT THE SERVICE LIFE OF TRANSMISSION .
HAS ANYONE ELSE NOTICED THIS SHUDDER IN THIER JK AUTO TRANSMISSION? RWB 2007 RRCP JK

RotorHead
12-10-2007, 04:21 PM
No shudder here.

gcg
12-10-2007, 04:38 PM
I do notice a vibration that I feel mostly through the steering wheel when I accelerate hard. It happens at about 3 to 4k RPM. The dealer told me that was normal, though I'm not sure I explained the symptoms to them correctly or that they understood what I was describing. I don't know if that's the same as what you are feeling.

I do know that there is supposed to be a TSB from Chrysler for a shudder that's associated with the torque converter. If you have access to "the other forum", you might want to look over there as I believe it was discussed quite a lot and they do have a list of all the TSB's there.

mrsig
12-11-2007, 06:09 AM
Nope none with mine! Runs great even in the water.
http://www.aaof.us/images/bi99.jpg

robertwbrown
12-11-2007, 07:36 AM
TOOK JK BACK TO DEALER TODAY(ITS THERE NOW) THEY WAS NOT AWARE OF A TBS ON THIS TRANNY . I AM HAVING THE TRANNY FLUID CHANGED/FILTER. HOPED THEY WOULD DO IT UNDER WARRANTY.BUT NO THEY ARE GOING TO CHARGE ME. SERVICE TECH FEELS THE SHUDDER BUT STILL SAYS IT IS NORMAL. JUST HOPE THIS DOESNT TURN INTO SOMETHING
MAJOR DOWN THE ROAD OR TRAIL.

RWB2007RRCP UNLIMITED

gcg
12-11-2007, 09:47 AM
TOOK JK BACK TO DEALER TODAY(ITS THERE NOW) THEY WAS NOT AWARE OF A TBS ON THIS TRANNY . I AM HAVING THE TRANNY FLUID CHANGED/FILTER. HOPED THEY WOULD DO IT UNDER WARRANTY.BUT NO THEY ARE GOING TO CHARGE ME. SERVICE TECH FEELS THE SHUDDER BUT STILL SAYS IT IS NORMAL. JUST HOPE THIS DOESNT TURN INTO SOMETHING
MAJOR DOWN THE ROAD OR TRAIL.

RWB2007RRCP UNLIMITED
My experience is that the dealerships are frequently unaware of the TSB's. The best route to take is to get a copy of the one that applies and take it with you to the dealership. As mentioned above, "the other forum" has these all available on the site (at least they did the last time I visited there before being thrown out). There definitely is a TSB regarding a shudder related to the torque convertor. My recollection is that the fix involved a reflashing of the computer and replacement of the torque convertor itself.

crusty1007
12-11-2007, 10:11 AM
They have been running this transmission since 03' (42RLE) You may get some of the "Shudder" you are talking about from slight driveline vibrations. the other thing it could be is the 5" long spud shaft in that transmission.
I know my 04' has had it (shudder) since day 1 and it still has it with 60K on it. Engine has been replaced 3 times (again this is on an 04') and the transmission no matter how bad I dislike the shift points hasnt died.

gcg
12-11-2007, 12:55 PM
Here's a link to one of the TSB's associated with the problem:

http://silverdodge.dodgeram.org/tsb/2007/21-002-07.htm

I believe there's a second TSB also.

robertwbrown
12-11-2007, 03:06 PM
gcg
thanks for link for tranny shudder!:D

gcg
12-11-2007, 04:28 PM
gcg
thanks for link for tranny shudder!:D
You're welcome. I think there is a second TSB that relates directly to the torque converter unit itself. If you think it's worth pursuing with the dealership, perhaps this first one would get them started.

You might also google "Jeep JK torque convertor shudder" or something like that to see if there are other discussions on the topic.

cab76
12-12-2007, 02:23 PM
I have a very noticeable shudder when hitting resistance while backing up (such as backing up a steep incline or backing over a tree root). I've brought this to a couple dealers and heard a variety of stories, including all of the JKs do this, only the 4-doors do this, that Jeep is aware of the problem and is working on a TSB, and that it is not a problem but was engineered into the transmission to help in off-road situations (this is my favorite). My build date was after the TSB date, so the reflash should have occurred already. Nonetheless one of the dealers did the reflash to no effect. I know this is not the exact problem you're describing, but it is a shudder, so it may be related.

robertwbrown
02-18-2008, 04:00 PM
IHAVE NOTICED A SHUDDER WHEN THE TRANNY SHIFTS INTO SECOND GEAR DEALER TOLD ME THAT THIS WAS NORMAL FOR THIS TRANSMISSION AND THAT IT WOULD NOT EFFECT THE SERVICE LIFE OF TRANSMISSION .
HAS ANYONE ELSE NOTICED THIS SHUDDER IN THIER JK AUTO TRANSMISSION? RWB 2007 RRCP JK

hey i have a update on the transmission shudder from first to second gear.
the dealer found the service bulletin for the shudder and it says chrysler is aware of this condition, and may be in the process of developing a reflash
for the transmission. whatever that means:shaking::shaking::shaking:

jeepster
02-18-2008, 04:38 PM
I know the shudder. I had mine in and they could not "recreate it" but it must have broke in because I don't notice it anymore. It was when I was around 40 mph.

gcg
02-18-2008, 08:57 PM
I have a similar vibration in mine. I've also been told it's normal.

cab76
02-18-2008, 11:49 PM
I have a very noticeable shudder when hitting resistance while backing up (such as backing up a steep incline or backing over a tree root). I've brought this to a couple dealers and heard a variety of stories, including all of the JKs do this, only the 4-doors do this, that Jeep is aware of the problem and is working on a TSB, and that it is not a problem but was engineered into the transmission to help in off-road situations (this is my favorite). My build date was after the TSB date, so the reflash should have occurred already. Nonetheless one of the dealers did the reflash to no effect. I know this is not the exact problem you're describing, but it is a shudder, so it may be related.

After hearing there was an updated reflash in mid-Dec, I brought this back into the dealer a few days ago. Instead of at least trying the reflash to see if it would work, a new tech tried to tell my wife (who picked up the Jeep for me) that this was because of the mud tires. :rolleyes:

usmcdoc14
02-23-2008, 05:40 PM
1) Turn off the all capital letters, its annoying as heck. :shaking:

2) Does the shutter come after a hard acceleration and then maintaining a speed? Reason I ask is I lemoned a Liberty with a shuttering problem.

mytjjeep
03-04-2008, 08:21 AM
I had the TSB done and it was a major differance. I had a shudder in high gear at low rpms while going through town, etc. They tried the reflash to start with and it made a small differance. After several offroad trip running low and slow all day it was getting worse. They then changed out the converter and it was way better and even drove a little better during normal driveing. It was like pulling teeth to get them to take care of it but it was well worth it. I've got about 10,000 miles on it now with no more issues.

skibum
03-04-2008, 11:12 AM
I had the TSB done and it was a major differance. I had a shudder in high gear at low rpms while going through town, etc. They tried the reflash to start with and it made a small differance. After several offroad trip running low and slow all day it was getting worse. They then changed out the converter and it was way better and even drove a little better during normal driveing. It was like pulling teeth to get them to take care of it but it was well worth it. I've got about 10,000 miles on it now with no more issues.

Good to know. Mine has done this from new (at about 1200-1400 rpm and approx. 40 mph). Lately it has been getting more intense as well as more frequent. I had the reflash done months ago and it had virtually no effect. Guess its time to push the torque converter issue. :pissed:

mytjjeep
03-04-2008, 11:20 AM
It's worth getting done it made a big differance. I actually ended up getting the service done through a Dodge/Chrysler dealer. They are much more mod freindly and the lead tech is a Jeep guy himself, so if your not getting the answers your looking for don't forget about other avenues.

skibum
03-04-2008, 11:25 AM
It's worth getting done it made a big differance. I actually ended up getting the service done through a Dodge/Chrysler dealer. They are much more mod freindly and the lead tech is a Jeep guy himself, so if your not getting the answers your looking for don't forget about other avenues.

My local dealer is very Jeep friendly. Like yours, the lead tech is a Jeep guy (also president of the local club), so with any luck they won't give me too much grief about replacing the TC.

robertwbrown
03-04-2008, 04:56 PM
Good to know. Mine has done this from new (at about 1200-1400 rpm and approx. 40 mph). Lately it has been getting more intense as well as more frequent. I had the reflash done months ago and it had virtually no effect. Guess its time to push the torque converter issue. :pissed:

hey everyone ,
took our jk back to the dealer on friday feb 29 because the transmission shudder was getting worse. the service tech that does transmissions noticed that it was also . my dealers service rep. called chrysler and they are letting the dealership replace the torque converter and the front pump. also chrysler
said they will allow us three days car rental .wonder if i could get a rubi for those three days if i promise not to take it off road:laughing2::laughing2:
will let you all know if the repairs take care of shudder

skibum
03-11-2008, 02:10 PM
hey everyone ,
took our jk back to the dealer on friday feb 29 because the transmission shudder was getting worse. the service tech that does transmissions noticed that it was also . my dealers service rep. called chrysler and they are letting the dealership replace the torque converter and the front pump. also chrysler
said they will allow us three days car rental .wonder if i could get a rubi for those three days if i promise not to take it off road:laughing2::laughing2:
will let you all know if the repairs take care of shudder

Thanks robert. Please keep us informed of your results. Mine goes in on Monday and I've already planted the seed with the Service Advisor that replacing the TC is what I expect. Wish me luck.

robertwbrown
03-12-2008, 02:48 PM
Thanks robert. Please keep us informed of your results. Mine goes in on Monday and I've already planted the seed with the Service Advisor that replacing the TC is what I expect. Wish me luck.

hey skibum and everyone,
took our 07jk to the dealer on 03 11 08 for tsb on the TC. they replaced the TC and did the reflash. just pick it up today 03 12 07 wed. there is a WORLD of difference. my girl could even tell the difference:bounce::bounce:
so i'm happy with the repairs.