best cat back exhaust system [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: best cat back exhaust system

frank
04-15-2009, 01:52 PM
thinking of an exhaust upgrade.which system would anybody recommend.i really like the new volant dual tip muffler.does anyone have it installed.thanks.

spillidge
04-15-2009, 03:55 PM
I have the MBRP exhaust installed.
I noticed a little difference from around 1800 to 2500 RPM.
Sound is ok, but what do you expect from a 3.8!!!

JR
04-16-2009, 07:32 AM
I think the dual tips look a bit silly.

We've been moving the JBA stainless systems. Subtle sound difference and overall a nice part. The clamp on style doesn't seem to hold though, I always toss a couple tack welds on ours just to make sure it stays in place.

Not actual picture but here's the link
http://www.rjroffroad.com/jba-25-stainless-exhaust-system-for-07-08-jeep-wrangler-unli-offroad-c-440-p-1-pr-17025.html

lohchief
04-16-2009, 07:55 AM
I have a flowmaster 40 on in the stock location.It's smaller and fits up there real nice,decent sound (it is a V-6) installed for $125.00.You can spend alot more $ for little to no difference except maybe bragging rights,imho.These high dollar systems are a crock. :smokin:

lohchief
04-16-2009, 08:00 AM
Oh yeah,if your thinking about a CAI,don't waste your money.The only one that actually brings in colder air is the snorkel job.If your not going to be doing much,if any fording,a simple K&N dropin will work just fine. :beer::beer::beer:

frank
04-16-2009, 07:31 PM
thanks for your input guys.all the systems look nice but i think i am just going to do the muffler.

Mule'Con
04-16-2009, 08:48 PM
I did a search on YouTube.com, under "Jeep JK exhaust", and it comes up with a marvel of sounds from the various exhausts. Based on actual sound, for me:
Flowmaster 40, Magnaflow, MBRP
All have the right sound range, Flowmaster is in my backyard, Magnaflow is endorsed by the Andretti family, and MBRP sounds snaughty. Gibson sounded a tad "cute" like our stock horn does, dual tip model. One guy just hacked off his muffler, and jetted the exhaust from the cat out the side. It sounded alot like the gibson......

frank
04-17-2009, 04:41 AM
does any body have the volant dual setup.it looks very nice but very pricey for just a muffler.trying to find a sound clip but no luck so far.

SASQUATCH
04-17-2009, 08:18 AM
Oh yeah,if your thinking about a CAI,don't waste your money.The only one that actually brings in colder air is the snorkel job.If your not going to be doing much,if any fording,a simple K&N dropin will work just fine. :beer::beer::beer:

Thank you for posting facts and not "it's awesome and works and gives me a lot of power" just because you purchased it and realize it didn't do shat! :D I hate those kinds of posts, indeed it might give you 5rwhp on the dyno and even the snorkel is "not all that" but at least it's more of a colder (than engine bay) air setup. Now if someone would just come out with a non-ugly snorkel we'd be good to go.

gold knight
04-17-2009, 01:05 PM
Thank you for posting facts and not "it's awesome and works and gives me a lot of power" just because you purchased it and realize it didn't do shat! :D I hate those kinds of posts, indeed it might give you 5rwhp on the dyno and even the snorkel is "not all that" but at least it's more of a colder (than engine bay) air setup. Now if someone would just come out with a non-ugly snorkel we'd be good to go.How about dildo's hood scoop? It's like a giant version of the J8 hood snorkel:D

Cool Hand Luke
07-24-2009, 02:40 PM
How does everyone feel about the Cool Tech LLC Exhaust?

YouTube - CoolTechLLC Jeep JK Exhaust 3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWA3vq8ThFc&feature=channel_page)

I think it sounds pretty cool.

quickster47
07-24-2009, 05:38 PM
If I did not already have a Catback Cherry Bomb Exhaust the CoolTech would be my choice. Unfortuantely I did not discover it, the CoolTech one, till after the fact.

I do have some of their other stuff and it is excellent.

Carl

BiGEN
07-24-2009, 09:58 PM
these mufflers sound like a rice burner.. im looking for more of a lower tone like the str8 piped trucks

Cool Hand Luke
07-25-2009, 03:03 AM
these mufflers sound like a rice burner.. im looking for more of a lower tone like the str8 piped trucks

What exhaust has that sound?

quickster47
07-25-2009, 04:20 AM

I think you are going to need a nice size V8 to get that kind of sound. Probably should do the hemi conversion and then think about the exhaust sound.

Carl

MBRP Tech 1
08-13-2009, 11:31 AM
thinking of an exhaust upgrade.which system would anybody recommend.i really like the new volant dual tip muffler.does anyone have it installed.thanks.

Did you end up getting an exhaust system? How did you make out?

dodge8604
08-13-2009, 08:03 PM
I just bought a 40 series flowmaster, cut out a space for it under my side of the jeep, stuck it up in there and ran the pipe straight out the back on the drivers side. Its got a low deep rumble. Not too loud but sounds real nice at peak RPMs. Once I get home and get the tip on it that I want it should be good to go. Now I have that whole space where the stock muffler went to do whatever I want with :grinpimp:

cruzcode
10-02-2009, 08:07 AM
So, I'm getting the feeling that you guys would NOT recommend cat-back systems, overall. Is this correct?

LSUjeepguy
10-02-2009, 08:22 AM
I installed a Flowmaster 40 yesterday and LOVE the sound! Deep tone with a little rumble.. Nothing too loud at all though... Got a grand total of $55 in it..:bounce:

Grant211
10-02-2009, 08:51 AM
I've been looking at the Gibson dual exhaust...

Woods
10-02-2009, 09:18 AM

I too, believe that performance is not a reason to purchase a CAI. However, I installed a AEM CAI. The reason being, the air filter is really easy to clean. Just drop it in a bucket of water rinse. No oil. I've seen how much dirt comes out of that thing and I do think that a really dirty air filter will steel some power.

I've been looking at the Gibson dual exhaust...

MHO is that the single in dual out Gibson is the best sounding exhaust that I've heard. Unfortunately it's got giant tips running out the back that wouldn't work at all on the rocks.

I offer a really good high clearance muffler relocation system. You have to relocate the evap canister but I think it's the best system available, for the rocks. I tested Borla, Flowmaster 40 and several Magnaflows. All loud and ricey. I had to have a muffler made, in order to offer a "no-drone" kit. It's not nearly as quiet as the factory muffler, but it's not obnoxious on the hwy. At 60 MPH you barely hear it. I think my CAI is a little louder on the hwy. Still no V8, but as close as I could get.
Mandrel bent stainless steel. Lifetime warranty. Pre-formed Band Clamps. All the best that money can buy.

There are some sound vids on my website, as well as a Borla, Magnaflow, Flowmaster comparison. http://www.jeepswag.com/jeepswagmuff/

cruzcode
10-02-2009, 03:28 PM
I installed a Flowmaster 40 yesterday and LOVE the sound! Deep tone with a little rumble.. Nothing too loud at all though... Got a grand total of $55 in it..:bounce:

I've always been a huge fan of Flows... I've used them on V-8 street/race cars forever. But, I've never used them on low powered V-6.

Beside performance, my only fear is that it sounds like some 16 year-old's version of a Mitsubishi Eclipse on crack, with a G-Reddy pipe on it.

Does it sound ricey? Any help, tips, or feedback, is appreciated from you veterans out there. Thanks!

tseesejr
07-07-2010, 06:54 PM
What exhaust has that sound?

hi my name is tseesejr weare did you relocate your water evap tank

Woods
07-07-2010, 06:56 PM
hi my name is tseesejr weare did you relocate your water evap tank

Here you go;

http://www.jeepswag.com/jeep_jk_evap_can_relocation/index.htm

lohchief
07-08-2010, 07:49 PM
Since this isn't on the vendors section,I don't give a fuck.If you want better sound,a little better performance,and wife friendly,why would anyone in their right mind want to spend a ton of money on high end exhaust systems that don't do anymore then a simple muffler change?Dyno results are okay if you plan on running full fuckin' throttle.....well....are you?If not,fuck the stainless steel space age high tech shit.Buy a nice performance muffler and be done with it.This ain't rocket fuckin' science.Want to spend mass quantities of loot on a 3.8 v6???? :shaking:

d'sjk
07-08-2010, 07:51 PM

I think the dual tip setup is pointless unless all your doing is mall crawling....

My vote is the MBRP offroad system!

Woods
07-08-2010, 08:32 PM
Hmmmm - for the most part I agree with this and you make a great point.

Performance is not a reason to change your muffler. Honestly, the best dyno results for lower RPM's is from the factory muffler. You'll never hear me say, "buy my muffler because you'll get more power". While it's true, it's not real world. Dyno tests are heavily flawed anyway. I'm certain that all muffler and exhaust manufacturer's run multiple dyno tests, then publish the best one. And Dyno tests results vary heavily.

I designed my exhaust system according to the manufacturing specs of the factory exhaust - mandrel bent and stainless steel. I designed my exhaust to help with two issues. Sound and clearance - simple as that.

Since this isn't on the vendors section,I don't give a fuck.If you want better sound,a little better performance,and wife friendly,why would anyone in their right mind want to spend a ton of money on high end exhaust systems that don't do anymore then a simple muffler change?Dyno results are okay if you plan on running full fuckin' throttle.....well....are you?If not,fuck the stainless steel space age high tech shit.Buy a nice performance muffler and be done with it.This ain't rocket fuckin' science.Want to spend mass quantities of loot on a 3.8 v6???? :shaking:

lohchief
07-08-2010, 08:35 PM
Hmmmm - for the most part I agree with this and you make a great point.

Performance is not a reason to change your muffler. Honestly, the best dyno results for lower RPM's is from the factory muffler. You'll never hear me say, "buy my muffler because you'll get more power". While it's true, it's not real world. Dyno tests are heavily flawed anyway. I'm certain that all muffler and exhaust manufacturer's run multiple dyno tests, then publish the best one. And Dyno tests results vary heavily.

I designed my exhaust system according to the manufacturing specs of the factory exhaust - mandrel bent and stainless steel. I designed my exhaust to help with two issues. Sound and clearance - simple as that.

And my $125.00 installed flowmaster 40 in the stock location does the job just fine. :smokin:

Megalops
07-09-2010, 08:00 AM
I put on the cool tech and am very happy with it. It was a very easy and quick install also.

Chester Cheetah
07-11-2010, 08:45 AM
I run a Gibson twin tip exhaust. I run over the same trails as the guys with other systems and we all occasionally get a ding on the tip. Gibson at least allows a guy to remove the chrome tips and limit the risk. I'm anything but a Mall Crawler, my tires and paint scratches are evidence of this (trail cred.).

I love the rumble through-out the RPM range. I also have an Air-aid filter system. Together I can feel a difference. Pulling a trailer the difference is even more pronounced. I have been stopped by many other Jeepers and asked if I was running a "hemi." They all like the sound as I do. A bit loud for my taste but I will not remove and replace it with anything else. It installs easily and is half the size and weight of the stock. Stock...I could never hear the motor running at stop lights and killed the motor several times at take off (manual tranny) until I got used to it. Biggest reason why I changed was due to this.

These choices are all very personnel and individual tastes vary.

bodybrdng
07-11-2010, 06:40 PM
I have the flowmaster and love it. Deep sound, not too loud, Noticable sound though with out the need to crank the radio if you don't want to hear it. No ricer sound either.

cruzcode
07-11-2010, 07:07 PM

Frank,

I am a go-fast guy, converted to wheeler. So, I can appreciate the performance deficiences of our mini-van crawlers. When I bought my JK, the first thing I wanted to address was "controllable performance upgrades", which was intake, exhaust, and tuning.

After some research, and not wanting my JK to sound like an Eclipse on ecstasy after a rave, I chose the aFe hi-tuck cat-back system, and have absolutely LOVED IT.

http://afepower.com/shop/details_new.php?partno=49-46202&filter&menu=gas&searchtype=vehicle&make=Jeep&model=Wrangler&year=2008&&brandID=63 (http://afepower.com/shop/details_new.php?partno=49-46202&filter&menu=gas&searchtype=vehicle&make=Jeep&model=Wrangler&year=2008&&brandID=63)

The sound, is a subtle but deep tone, that is noticeable when giving it throttle, without sounding like the tinny mufflers or the G-Reddy style megaphones. I installed the AirAid Cold-Air Intake, the aFe Throttle Body spacer, and the aFe exhaust, all on the same weekend. And being the tuner, I needed to install a component, test it (subjective seat-of-the-pants, testing, not a dyno), and then install the next one. I installed the exhaust FIRST, then started it, and was like whoa! It had a better throttle response, better tone, better power (although marginal) across the entire RPM range.

Then, I installed the AirAid CAI, and the aFe Throttle Body Spacer, and I noticed that with the whole system on, it was a different Jeep. It was more throaty, fed the JK more air, (and therefore more fuel), and the exhaust performed even better.

I also have the Superchips Flashpaq, and although I have not yet installed it, by the reviews everyone has written on here, I'll expect some nice gains with that.

So, I hope this helps, but I am VERY happy with my aFe Cat-Back Exhaust system.

RC

Ryan L
07-13-2010, 08:30 PM
cruzcode, can you make a sound clip?

tjkoen01
08-27-2010, 06:54 AM
I run a Gibson twin tip exhaust. I run over the same trails as the guys with other systems and we all occasionally get a ding on the tip. Gibson at least allows a guy to remove the chrome tips and limit the risk. I'm anything but a Mall Crawler, my tires and paint scratches are evidence of this (trail cred.).

I love the rumble through-out the RPM range. I also have an Air-aid filter system. Together I can feel a difference. Pulling a trailer the difference is even more pronounced. I have been stopped by many other Jeepers and asked if I was running a "hemi." They all like the sound as I do. A bit loud for my taste but I will not remove and replace it with anything else. It installs easily and is half the size and weight of the stock. Stock...I could never hear the motor running at stop lights and killed the motor several times at take off (manual tranny) until I got used to it. Biggest reason why I changed was due to this.

These choices are all very personnel and individual tastes vary.

I have the dual out Gibson as well. It is a lot louder than the Gibson setup I had on the Liberty, but I think I am getting used to it. The main reason I upgraded was so I could hear the engine as well....the stock was too quiet!

And for those concerned about hitting rocks with the tips, the stainless tip on the Liberty held up just fine. And if that doesn't satisfy you, LIFT IT!

MBRP Tech 1
08-27-2010, 07:13 AM
There is a reason we are on these forums, listening to members who helped us develop many of our products that have sold very well for many years. If you check the signatures of people on these forums, you will likely see many owners running our exhausts.

There are a few simple reasons.

We make power.
We don't have a ricey or overly loud sound.
Has the best clearance in the industry.
Muffler designed specifically for the 3.8L V6 motor and is not a universal fit.
We stand behind our products with a lifetime warranty on stainless, and 3 years on all aluminized systems.

Feel free to contact me if you need any assistance finding a great deal on one of our bolt on cat-back exhausts.

Steve

fishgutz
08-27-2010, 07:48 AM
This is the one I put on my "euipment failure is an excuse for upgrade" list.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/17605_1103_07.htm
I figure one or tow rough trips top Uwharrie may puncture the stock exhaust and bandabing, I got the excuse for upgrade. This one is compact and gets away from the bumper.