Final Outcome: Xenon's narrower flat flares [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Final Outcome: Xenon's narrower flat flares

JR
12-06-2007, 08:03 AM
So i posted a while back around SEMA time that Xenon was toying with making a narrower set of flares versus they're 1.6" wider than stock version you've seen so far...here is the final word.

"Several week ago we e-mailed you about our developing STOCK WIDTH Flat Panel Flares for the 07-08 Jeep JK.

AFTER FURTHER INTENSIVE RESEARCH WE ARE TOOLING THESE FLARES TO BE 1.5" LESS THAN STOCK OE FENDER WIDTH. They will be 2.1" less width in front and 2.75" less width in back than our current JK flat panel flares, Kit #8870 or #9010."

The flares will basically look like the flares below, only narrower.

4 door - http://www.rjroffroad.com/Xenon-Xtra-Narrow-Flat-Tubular-Style-Fender-Flares-for-07-08-Jee-c-434-p-1-pr-17010.html

2 door - http://www.rjroffroad.com/Xenon-Xtra-Narrow-Flat-Tubular-Style-Fender-Flares-for-07-08-Jee-c-434-p-1-pr-17011.html

SNEAK PEAK (prototype only, may end up looking slightly different)

http://warriorproducts.com/images/xenon2.jpg

luigi0523
12-06-2007, 09:56 AM
What's up here? If you do the math, current production flat flares are 1.6" wider than stock and the new narrower one is 1.5" narrower than stock, that looks like 3.1" narrower than current the model not 2.1" & 2.75" less. ???? :shaking:

JR
12-06-2007, 10:31 AM
I don't believe their actual numbers in widening the original version were accurate. I know they told me that they widened the rear more than the front.

Be assured though, the new version is 1.5" less than stock width.

RedRockJK
12-11-2007, 01:48 AM
These definitely kick ass, and will be one of my next mods. I put them on my Christmas wish list I gave the wife. I hope they are on track for shipping in January! :smokin:

Ipe
12-11-2007, 06:35 AM
I like both versions. If I can get away with the skinny ones then all the better!

Just so long as they cover the tread fully then the gov-ment be happy and I bees happy too! :smokin::laughing:

RedRockJK
12-11-2007, 07:57 AM
...Just so long as they cover the tread fully then the gov-ment be happy and I bees happy too! :smokin::laughing:

As long as you are running bone stock tires with no spacers it looks like the tread will be covered. Bigger tires and/or wheels or spacers and I guarantee you they won't cover them.

JR
12-11-2007, 08:02 AM
As long as you are running bone stock tires with no spacers it looks like the tread will be covered. Bigger tires and/or wheels or spacers and I guarantee you they won't cover them.

Agreed, if you're running large tires and such, and you're worried about coverage, then you better run the wide version.

Ipe
12-11-2007, 09:25 AM
Good thing I like both versions then! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

jdemonto
12-11-2007, 09:33 AM
Looks like a smart move for those wanting metal tube fenders.....They do look more narrow than stock, their current are much wide than stock...so how about a set that are the same as stock????

I'm sorry they need a new jeep to represent their product line.........That white one is very bad...

Not in a good way

Jason

jeffj78
12-13-2007, 08:19 AM
Those narrow ones look nice. Do they have a pic from the front?

JR
12-13-2007, 08:22 AM
Those narrow ones look nice. Do they have a pic from the front?

No, that was just a sneak peak prototype shot. There are no final photos of them yet.

That said, they are formatted the same as the other version in the front, just narrower.

JR
01-04-2008, 07:43 AM
Ok, it is official

http://www.rjroffroad.com/images/jk-narrow-flare.jpg

Ipe
01-04-2008, 09:17 AM
I like 'em and I like 'em a lot. :smokin:
Unfortunately the state would have a conniption fit, so I'm going to have to go with the original wide versions, although the poster above asking about a same width version had a pretty cool idea. ;)

Question for you JR. What color are these flares before painting? Black, grey, white? Do they require painting? Somehow I had thought that they were black but the ones above are grey... :confused:

JR
01-04-2008, 09:23 AM
I like 'em and I like 'em a lot. :smokin:
Unfortunately the state would have a conniption fit, so I'm going to have to go with the original wide versions, although the poster above asking about a same width version had a pretty cool idea. ;)

Question for you JR. What color are these flares before painting? Black, grey, white? Do they require painting? Somehow I had thought that they were black but the ones above are grey... :confused:

All of Xenon's shipped final product for flares is in black. It is not paint, the poly urethane is black when poured/injected.

Keep in mind thats a 37x12.50 and an aftermarket rim, not sure what kinda tire size you're using.

Ipe
01-04-2008, 10:06 AM
315/75R16, or in other words a 35 x12.5 ;)

Currently the plan for rims is Pro Comp 1028 or 8128 in 16x8 with a 4.5" backset

JR
01-04-2008, 10:09 AM
Yeah, if your state is strict, they might not like that.

jeffj78
01-04-2008, 10:12 AM
Is that a marker light in the fronts too?

TORN
01-04-2008, 11:10 AM
Thats a little too pricey for plastic in my opinion. They do look good though. I will wait a while and see what else comes out.

jdemonto
01-04-2008, 06:00 PM
I like them much better than those previous super wide dually flares!

Jason

JR
01-08-2008, 11:26 AM
Is that a marker light in the fronts too?

Yes it is.

Thats a little too pricey for plastic in my opinion. They do look good though. I will wait a while and see what else comes out.

Polyurethane actually, aka - won't crack and break when you tag them on something. The only next step up would be steel like Shaffers...

RedRockJK
01-09-2008, 11:37 PM
Those turned out AWESOME!!! Too bad I don't have a JK to put them on any more. :bawling:

PhilD
01-11-2008, 01:20 PM
Too bad I don't have a JK to put them on any more. :bawling:What happened to it?

luigi0523
01-17-2008, 07:40 PM
What happened to it?

I think it was something about a house.:bawling::shaking:

jeffmarion
01-17-2008, 09:46 PM
Are these shipping yet?
I'm about ready to move up to 38's plus I have one flare that is barely hanging on.... Damn tree.

JR
01-18-2008, 07:43 AM
Are these shipping yet?
I'm about ready to move up to 38's plus I have one flare that is barely hanging on.... Damn tree.

I haven't received word that they're shipping, but I also haven't received any word that they're not. I haven't talked to Xenon in a couple weeks, but they still sounded like 4 door models would be shipping sometime this month.

Mini-me
02-20-2008, 05:53 PM
I sent an e-mail asking Xenon about the sagging issue on the flares. Here is a portion of the correspondence I received from them.

Xenon
American Best Car Parts
2891 Via Martens
Anaheim, CA 92806

February 13, 2008

Press Release

Product Development

In November, 2007, shortly after the SEMA show, Xenon became aware that there was some distortion in the new wider JK front flat panel flares. There was a small quantity identified, most if which where given as test units to enthusiasts known to us such as KC Hilites, Off Road Evolution and others. In early December we suspended production and studied the cause of the dip in the center of the flare. We began temperature testing that material as well as compounding other urethane formulas to achieve a more rigid finished product. To insure that these wide flares had appropriate support we also developed a ¼” thick support plate that uses three of the bolts that secure the flare to the JK body.

The new material and support system was tested for more than a month both on and off road with great success.

Production of this product resumed on February 11, 2008 to include the support plates for our part numbers 8870 and 9010. We have attempted to contact the JK owners that had them prior to December. We will furnish the support plates and instructions upon request for the flares manufactured before that date. Please direct any questions to our customer service at 800-999-8753,

This slight problem has had no effective of any of Xenon’s other FLAT PANEL Jeep flares for the TJ, YJ or CJ7.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Xenon is doing a test fitting of the Xtra narrow flat style fender flares tomorrow. :) If all goes well they be in production in a week or two.

I will be ordering the narrow set for my JK!!!!!!!!!

Dustoff '68
02-20-2008, 11:47 PM
...but I must be very disturbed...I really do like the stock OEM fenders that come with the JK...one of several things DC got rght in the design of the JK.;)

JR
02-21-2008, 07:39 AM
I sent an e-mail asking Xenon about the sagging issue on the flares. Here is a portion of the correspondence I received from them.

Xenon
American Best Car Parts
2891 Via Martens
Anaheim, CA 92806

February 13, 2008

Press Release

Product Development

In November, 2007, shortly after the SEMA show, Xenon became aware that there was some distortion in the new wider JK front flat panel flares. There was a small quantity identified, most if which where given as test units to enthusiasts known to us such as KC Hilites, Off Road Evolution and others. In early December we suspended production and studied the cause of the dip in the center of the flare. We began temperature testing that material as well as compounding other urethane formulas to achieve a more rigid finished product. To insure that these wide flares had appropriate support we also developed a ¼” thick support plate that uses three of the bolts that secure the flare to the JK body.

The new material and support system was tested for more than a month both on and off road with great success.

Production of this product resumed on February 11, 2008 to include the support plates for our part numbers 8870 and 9010. We have attempted to contact the JK owners that had them prior to December. We will furnish the support plates and instructions upon request for the flares manufactured before that date. Please direct any questions to our customer service at 800-999-8753,

This slight problem has had no effective of any of Xenon’s other FLAT PANEL Jeep flares for the TJ, YJ or CJ7.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Xenon is doing a test fitting of the Xtra narrow flat style fender flares tomorrow. :) If all goes well they be in production in a week or two.

I will be ordering the narrow set for my JK!!!!!!!!!

I would imagine that the sagging issue, which I was aware of, would not be an issue on the narrow version. It seems to me that because of the crazy width of the wide version the sagging was likely.

We've installed the supports in our wide version, and they work well. Very simple installation

Mini-me
02-21-2008, 08:08 AM
On the other forum they are taking some heat about the wider then stock flares sagging. We all know that not all the information on the Internet is true. This is why, I contacted Xenon directly about the sagging issue a few of the wider flares encountered.

I am very satified with Xenon's response.

Like I stated previously, I will be ordering the narrower than stock version soon.