Dome lights won't go off - relay somewhere? [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Dome lights won't go off - relay somewhere?

jkdrone
04-08-2009, 04:24 PM
Ok guys, I'm a little stumped.

Got back in the jeep after three days parked, turned it on, heard a loud noise when it started (had left the A/C on when I turned it off, sometimes it sounds like its going to blow up when you turn it on w/ AC on, thought this might be it, but..) and then...

First, my TPMS warning comes on. Odd, just checked the pressure before I left, and it's 78F out...

So, I turn the vehicle off and then back on, no loud noise, and the TPMS is still on. *shrug* will deal with it later, start to drive off (get about ten feet), TPMS goes off. Get another ten feet, and then realize my dome lights are still on - check the knob, turn it all the way off, and well, they're still on.

Drive down a ways, go to the store, spend about 15 minutes in the store, come out and the dome lights are still on. Pull the fuse, bye bye lights.

Now, I've disconnected all of the doors, pulled every relay in the fuse box, and the damn lights won't go off. Just to check and see if the handle switch was bad, I tried several times - turning to the "interior lights on" position causes the lights to get perceptibly brighter, and when switching back off the "on" position, the turn off for a half a second and then come back on.

The only thing that cuts it off is to remove the fuse for the dome lights, that also turns off the switch for hazards and ESP, or remove the M20 fuse, completely disabling the jeep.

Any ideas on where to look from here?

!c

STUPIDFACE
04-08-2009, 05:15 PM
I was riding in one of my friends unlmtds and we couldnt get the lights to go off. I read in the manual that you have to press up on the rear dome light for it to go off. Im sure this is not your problem, just thought id throw that out there.

corey d

oz97tj
04-08-2009, 05:23 PM
I was riding in one of my friends unlmtds and we couldnt get the lights to go off. I read in the manual that you have to press up on the rear dome light for it to go off. Im sure this is not your problem, just thought id throw that out there.

corey d

I haven't had a problem with my lights not going off, but my 09 interior light can't be turned off by pressing on it.

It's a fixed light.

JKrazed
04-08-2009, 05:48 PM
Sometimes the canbus gets weird, if you disconnect the battery (both terminals) and touch them together 2 or 3 times, usually everything resets.

Sounds dumb, but it works & is safe to do.

jkdrone
04-08-2009, 06:43 PM
It's definitely not the rear dome press-switch, I tried that earlier.

I'll try the terminal trick, and see what that does. Thanks for the tip!

!c

chevyjeep
04-09-2009, 11:59 AM
Open up the relay / fuse box an lightly tap on the relays one at a time. It could be a bad relay. If that does not work then try to indentify which relay it would be from a wire diagram. some of the relays are the same number and can be swapped. Make sure you put them back in the original postioneach time.

Good luck.

jkdrone
04-11-2009, 01:12 PM
Well, it turns out, I also had issues with my cigarette lighter (the keyed one), which I didn't realize until I had largely given up on the dome lights, and having the dash panel open, went to tap something else into it.

About five hours worth of diagnosis == I'm an idiot.

Gave up on the electrical work, after re-wiring my leds, switch panel, etc. looking for a possible short...

Decided to solve the problem w/ that mountaineer rack sliding down.

Would you f$%*ing believe it? The mountaineer rack had slid down onto the rear dome light wires and shorted them. Causing all of my electrical gremlins.

I need a beer.

!c

STUPIDFACE
04-11-2009, 03:34 PM
I haven't had a problem with my lights not going off, but my 09 interior light can't be turned off by pressing on it.

It's a fixed light.

If you have an 09 UNLIMITED, your REAR dome light presses on and off.

corey d

neoxxis
04-16-2009, 04:59 AM
If you have an 09 UNLIMITED, your REAR dome light presses on and off.

corey d

Yeah, 07 Unlimited also... So I guess 08 too... :)

jacktuttle
04-29-2009, 07:18 AM
Yeah, 07 Unlimited also... So I guess 08 too... :)

Yes I can confirm that with the 08 too! Especially after carrying kids in the back seat! It took me a little while to figure out why my rear dome light was on. KIDS! :shaking: They make life interesting! ;)