Drag Link "noise"? [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Drag Link "noise"?

Gear
12-04-2007, 07:38 AM
Here is the information I have a 07 Rubicon Unlimited with a Teraflex 2.5 budget boost. My Drag Link bounces on every flaw in the road. I have had it replace once by Jeep. They are saying that this is how they are. Does anyone else have this problem. I mean the noise from the front end is unbearable. Even my wife wants to know what is falling off the Jeep. My thoughts are to upgrade to Poly Performances steering system. But come on this has got to be driving all Jeep owners nuts. Any thoughts

RotorHead
12-04-2007, 07:47 AM
I haven't experienced any noise from the drag link. Are you sure it's not a loose track bar or something? When does it happen? On bumps or when steering? Can you recreate it by having somebody work the steering while you look underneath?

Gear
12-04-2007, 08:17 AM
If you reach under your Jeep on the passenger side and grab the drag link you can move it up and down about 15 degrees. My bushings have loosened up again and you can hear it bounce on every bump. The Jeep tech was nice enough to walk me out too several JK's on the lot and showed me how they "all do it." His words.

gcg
12-04-2007, 10:19 AM
If you reach under your Jeep on the passenger side and grab the drag link you can move it up and down about 15 degrees. My bushings have loosened up again and you can hear it bounce on every bump. The Jeep tech was nice enough to walk me out too several JK's on the lot and showed me how they "all do it." His words.
If you're referring to the fact that you can rotate the drag link 15 degrees or so, that is normal - all steering components generally function like that. Your tie rod will do the same thing. If you mean that one end of it physically moves up and down (rather than rotates), that sounds like a real problem.

Gear
12-04-2007, 01:37 PM
gcg wrote "If you're referring to the fact that you can rotate the drag link 15 degrees or so, that is normal "

Yes, This is what I am talking about. The only problem is mine is so loose that it bounces and makes noise on every bump in the road. If yours is tight and you take it and push down on it hard you will here the noise I am talking about. Is this normal! It is driving me nuts.

PhilD
12-04-2007, 04:13 PM
Mine was pretty loose and never made any noise. Try greasing it, that may help, as it does need greasing. There are no grease fittings, so you can either drill and tap some, or just use a needle adapter on a grease gun.

I'd trying using a bungy cord to stop it moving and then see if the noise is still there. If it is it may well be something else. Obviously some common sense needs to be in play when attaching a bungy to your steering, but it will make sure that it is drag link causing the noise.

gcg
12-04-2007, 04:27 PM
gcg wrote "If you're referring to the fact that you can rotate the drag link 15 degrees or so, that is normal "

Yes, This is what I am talking about. The only problem is mine is so loose that it bounces and makes noise on every bump in the road. If yours is tight and you take it and push down on it hard you will here the noise I am talking about. Is this normal! It is driving me nuts.
My drag link is still relatively tight but I tried what you suggested and pushed up and down on it fairly hard. I did hear an annoying clunking noise as it "bottomed out" in both directions. If yours is so loose that it is doing this when you hit a bump, I can see why it would be driving you crazy.

I'd have to say that it would seem like something is wrong if this is the case. I think PhilD's suggestion with the bungee cord is a good one to further diagnose the problem and make sure it is truly the drag link.

I've had a loose shock make a similar sound when going over bumps - any chance that could be the problem?